Gender Studies I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gender Studies I

Golly, I'm shocked this thread went downhill so quickly. Astonished, even.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
      Judges? Is this mansplaining? Explaining the obvious?
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'm actually curious. Is the dishwasher thing mansplaining or what am I not understanding?
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
          Has it really gone downhill? Or has there just been a couple of comments? :-/
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I'm actually curious. Is the dishwasher thing mansplaining or what am I not understanding?
            If you explain the obvious, no matter if you're in the right or not, it's mansplaining, and men are to blame. Period. No excuse. I guess.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

You're not helping.
              Code:

Comment

You're not helping.
                I'm mansplaining.

Comment

I think I get it. It's like fansplaining is gopher fans coming on this board and talking hockey.

Comment

More like Hawks fan coming here and singing praises of mountains, trees, and teeth.
                    Code:

Comment

More like Hawks fan coming here and singing praises of mountains, trees, and teeth.
                      Two of us get it at least.

Comment

My roommate doesn't know how to use a dishwasher. She's helpless. I've come home to a dishwasher that was rubbing with literally two plates in it. When it is full, it's really not. Half the things are facing away from center, there is no organization so half of it is empty when you rearrange, and then top-rack only items are on the bottom.

If I try to explain how to use a dishwasher, that's going to be considered mansplaining. Right?
                        I explained how to load a dishwasher to my nephew once and his father jumped on me for being a condescending jerk. I then demonstrated what he was doing wrong, how to make the most of the space and I was still the jerk rather than simply being helpful. It doesn't matter the gender of the person being helped or your truest of intentions behind giving it, people just don't like receiving help unless they ask for it.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          I explained how to load a dishwasher to my nephew once and his father jumped on me for being a condescending jerk. I then demonstrated what he was doing wrong, how to make the most of the space and I was still the jerk rather than simply being helpful. It doesn't matter the gender of the person being helped or your truest of intentions behind giving it, people just don't like receiving help unless they ask for it.
                          This.

This is why "mansplaining" is an insulting term. It's sexist. Roll with it if you want, but Imma gonna call you out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            No, women are just as good at that as men.
                            So what, exactly, is the definition? To me it sounds like it's when a man explains something to a woman that he assumes she doesn't know.

Every human being is guilty of this. When Mike Pence's plane slid off the runway in LGA...an ops guy (who can be condescending, at times) in PIT asked me if I knew who Mike Pence was (I live in Indiana). Would that have been "mansplaining" if I had been a woman? If so, why is it called something different?
                            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                            Originally posted by Quizmire
                            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                              So what, exactly, is the definition? To me it sounds like it's when a man explains something to a woman that he assumes she doesn't know.
                              I'm sure I do this more often that I like to think--explain things to my wife, my secretary, or my friends things which I have good reason to know they already understand. I suspect they often think I'm a harmless fool when I do it, but sometimes it must be aggravating. A holdover behavior from a time when we excluded women from wide areas of knowledge, such as business and politics. And still do to a degree.

I can't think of times when I've done it sitting here, but I plan to ask my wife tonight, and I am willing to bet she will have a better memory. But to make sure I get to score at least one point in this mismatch, I will first explain to her what mansplaining is and how it is commonplace.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                                I'm sure I do this more often that I like to think--explain things to my wife, my secretary, or my friends things which I have good reason to know they already understand. I suspect they often think I'm a harmless fool when I do it, but sometimes it must be aggravating. A holdover behavior from a time when we excluded women from wide areas of knowledge, such as business and politics. And still do to a degree.

I can't think of times when I've done it sitting here, but I plan to ask my wife tonight, and I am willing to bet she will have a better memory. But to make sure I get to score at least one point in this mismatch, I will first explain to her what mansplaining is and how it is commonplace.
                                I do it far less now that I'm aware of it, but we all do it. The best way to self-examine is to ask your female loved ones. If you have few female loved ones , watch yourself when you interact with a woman and imagine you are interacting with a man. Typically, one's behavior is different. It's not that a man is necessarily more deferential to a man, but he's far less "I am demonstrating my self-assurance here."

Women are trained to be hens and men are trained to be cocks. This is very useful in the right circumstances, but in the workplace the women we meet aren't being hens and they have not requested that we be cocks.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X