Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gender Studies I

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/17/wo...ish-union.html

A Swedish union has set up a hotline for workers to report instances of “mansplaining” as part of a weeklong effort to raise awareness of a certain kind of condescending elocution that men use to explain to women things they already understand.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Re: Gender Studies I

Could someone do a little girlsplaining for me? I still don't understand what "mansplaining" is other than something new people created for the sake of whining.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Could someone do a little girlsplaining for me? I still don't understand what "mansplaining" is other than something new people created for the sake of whining.
      From the article:

The term mansplaining — a portmanteau of “explain” and “man” — entered popular usage after the author and historian Rebecca Solnit published a 2008 essay titled “Men Explain Things to Me.” She described attending a party at which a man insisted on explaining to her a “very important book” he had heard about and did not immediately seem to absorb that she had written the book.
      Once you're aware of this you'll see it all the time. It's a classic unconscious sexist act. Best part is it completely cuts across all lines (class, education, politics). Feminist men mansplain at feminist gatherings.

It's hysterical except you feel bad for the guy the way you would a kid who's wet his pants and doesn't know it.

Get good enough at recognizing it and you may even catch yourself doing it.
      Last edited by Kepler; 11-17-2016, 11:46 AM.
      Cornell University
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Mansplaining is definitely very, very real.
        Not sure I understand how the hotline will help.

Comment

I think a lot of what is classified as mansplaining isn't really mansplaining.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I think a lot of what is classified as mansplaining isn't really mansplaining.
            I don't think men get to define what is or isn't mansplaining.
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Which isn't to say it doesn't exist. It's just starting to borderline on the absurd for what's being classified as mansplaining.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                From the article:

Once you're aware of this you'll see it all the time. It's a classic unconscious sexist act. Best part is it completely cuts across all lines (class, education, politics). Feminist men mansplain at feminist gatherings.

It's hysterical except you feel bad for the guy the way you would a kid who's wet his pants and doesn't know it.

Get good enough at recognizing it and you may even catch yourself doing it.
                So it's the new term for pompous jacka--ery.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                  Why are you mansplaining this to people?

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                    Lol
                    Code:

Comment

Could someone do a little girlsplaining for me?
                      Even when a guy thinks he knows what a woman is talking about, she will ALWAYS change her mind.
                      Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

So it's the new term for pompous jacka--ery.
                        No, women are just as good at that as men.
                        Cornell University

Comment

People are often least tolerant of those flaws in other people about which they are most uncomfortable in themselves, you know.....

PS this is gender-neutral, or applies to both genders equally, or however one is supposed to phrase it these days....
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            People are often least tolerant of those flaws in other people about which they are most uncomfortable in themselves, you know.....

PS this is gender-neutral, or applies to both genders equally, or however one is supposed to phrase it these days....
                            The fact that you think there are only 2 genders says a lot. 😉
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                              Mansplaining is definitely very, very real.
                              Not sure I understand how the hotline will help.
                              Well, let me explain it to you ....
                              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                              X