Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Minnesotans Arguing About the Weather III: Storm's a comin'

Lucia Apologist

Re: Minnesotans Arguing About the Weather III: Storm's a comin'

In what universe have you seen 3"? I haven't seen a forecast that says anything but rain.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    In what universe have you seen 3"? I haven't seen a forecast that says anything but rain.
    Having gone to school with kids from the Buffalo area, let me tell you, it's easy. Sunshine in one part, 2 feet in another.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Having gone to school with kids from the Buffalo area, let me tell you, it's easy. Sunshine in one part, 2 feet in another.
    Yah, if you live next to a Great Lake. Sure.

People around here call them weather terrorists, but the only people getting chubbies are the people who are told there's a one in a billion chance of a foot of snow and most likely around an inch. What they hear is 100% of two feet of snow.

The meteorologists and reporters shrug, almost everyone else says, "well, would ya look at dat" and quickly moves on, and the real weather terrorists are just annoying people who ***** about meteorologists for the next week.

The Star Trib. And they are not saying for sure. They are saying it's a super remote possibility we don't want to over-estimate and get roasted by our readers.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    The Star Trib. And they are not saying for sure. They are saying it's a super remote possibility we don't want to over-estimate and get roasted by our readers.
    Because their readers are incompetent morons who bay at the moon every time their roof doesn't collapse from snow.

Yah, if you live next to a Great Lake. Sure.

People around here call them weather terrorists, but the only people getting chubbies are the people who are told there's a one in a billion chance of a foot of snow and most likely around an inch. What they hear is 100% of two feet of snow.

The meteorologists and reporters shrug, almost everyone else says, "well, would ya look at dat" and quickly moves on, and the real weather terrorists are just annoying people who ***** about meteorologists for the next week.
    But you have 1,000 lakes! That has to count for something!

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    But you have 1,000 lakes! That has to count for something!
    10,000 ya jerk . But it's really closer to 12,000 iirc.

Because their readers are incompetent morons who bay at the moon every time their roof doesn't collapse from snow.
    But the fact is, I saw it reported from a reputable (not my opinion) newspaper.

They've been saying it for the past day or two.

I agree, it's gonna be slush at worst.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Oops, my bad. And you can't blame spell check on numbers.

That sounds about right. It's a matter on how you measure a "lake."

That sounds about right. It's a matter on how you measure a "lake."
    Yeah, my parents live on a "lake" in northern lower Michigan that feels more like a "lake" in northern Ontario - long and narrow-ish. Deep enough in spots (30-40 feet), and very fishable with a motor, but more like a wide part of a river - not really a lake.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Lucia Apologist

It's not going to be anything. It's going to be rain. Jeebus.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Yeah, my parents live on a "lake" in northern lower Michigan that feels more like a "lake" in northern Ontario - long and narrow-ish. Deep enough in spots (30-40 feet), and very fishable with a motor, but more like a wide part of a river - not really a lake.
    I think it has to do with area size.

And yes, it'll be most likely rain. Won't get cold enough in the Cities. Up north, may be a little different. Haven't looked at forecast up there.

I think it has to do with area size.

And yes, it'll be most likely rain. Won't get cold enough in the Cities. Up north, may be a little different. Haven't looked at forecast up there.
    What it really has to do with, as far as my parent's "lake" is concerned, is how the ice sheet retreated 10,000+ years ago. IMO, you can look at that part of Michigan, and sort of see, based on the size, shape, and average depth of the surrounding lakes (Huron aside), that it was one of the last to be covered by the ice sheet that carved out NE Michigan / northern Lake Huron.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    What it really has to do with, as far as my parent's "lake" is concerned, is how the ice sheet retreated 10,000+ years ago. IMO, you can look at that part of Michigan, and sort of see, based on the size, shape, and average depth of the surrounding lakes (Huron aside), that it was one of the last to be covered by the ice sheet that carved out NE Michigan / northern Lake Huron.
    I was meaning on how someone determines if it's a lake, a pond, etc.

I was meaning on how someone determines if it's a lake, a pond, etc.
    Oh sure. By those standards, Orchard Lake (not THAT "big money" Orchard Lake in metro Detroit) is definitely a lake.

Lucia Apologist

I just remember the ten thousand lakes ten acres rule of thumb.

wubba lubba dub dub

I just remember the ten thousand lakes ten acres rule of thumb.
    We have, officially, 11,842 bodies of water that are classified as lakes, based upon a size requirements someone put forth somewhere. However, those requirements are not set forth by the State of MN, per the DNR's site.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    We have, officially, 11,842 bodies of water that are classified as lakes, based upon a size requirements someone put forth somewhere. However, those requirements are not set forth by the State of MN, per the DNR's site.
    So, the DNR is kind of going with, "If we say it's a lake, it's a lake. That's all that counts."

wubba lubba dub dub

So, the DNR is kind of going with, "If we say it's a lake, it's a lake. That's all that counts."
    Yeah, it's weird. Someone in the state has declared a value somewhere, because I recall reading some values somewhere. All bodies of water over X acres came up to that 11,842 (which I remember from that MN Twins commercial, "We know that '10,000 lakes" is really Minnesota Nice for 11,842."). I also remember reading that if we used the same size here as our neighboring states, we would actually tally over 14,000 lakes here.

Also, the difference between a pond and a swamp is that a pond's water has a flow to it, like a lake, while a swamp's water is stagnant.

Lastly, around the St. Cloud are is supposed to get snow while we get rain.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Thread Information