Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesotans Arguing About the Weather III: Storm's a comin'

Originally posted by burd View Post
    Day-long snow here, much of which melted as it hit, leaving maybe 4 inches of white lead on the ground. Seemed too little for the snow blower, so I shoveled. Dam near killed myself.
    4"? ****, I'd break the snowblower out for that.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      4"? ****, I'd break the snowblower out for that.
      Yeah, it might have been closer to 3 maybe. It just didn't meet the blower eye test. Totally kicked my arse though.

Comment

I don't judge on the depth of the snow, I look at the plow berm. That dictates all else.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I don't judge on the depth of the snow, I look at the plow berm. That dictates all else.
          Or if it's that wet heavy snow vs the fluffy stuff.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

What a crazy week of weather. Last Monday we had zero snow on the coast. Now we have 3 ft? Or so. Today has been as bad as I've ever seen it. DOT pulled plows off the road as they couldn't see. They posted 8 or 9 inches of snow on 95 at one point, thats unheard of here. Never seen so many businesses close, even gas stations/stores shut down.wal mart was open though.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

We were supposed to get wind gusts over 50, and my house is on the crest of a hill and typically gets about 10 mph higher than the local area.

I'm not sure my trees can actually survive that sort of wind. I guess it's better that it's winter so no leaves? I guess?

Anyway, I'll find out tonight when I get home.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                We were supposed to get wind gusts over 50, and my house is on the crest of a hill and typically gets about 10 mph higher than the local area.
                How wet is the ground, or is it frozen? Trees blow over in mud.

And if your house is built to code it should be fine. The biggest issue will probably be old shingles. So sayeth the North Dakotan.
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I'm not sure my trees can actually survive that sort of wind. I guess it's better that it's winter so no leaves? I guess?

Anyway, I'll find out tonight when I get home.
                  My cul de sac is below the main drag which was built on the crest of a hill back when electricity was new fangled. The high side faces SE, while the low side faces NW. The wind was from the NW, which had nothing in its way (except other houses) to slow it down. It was trash day today and the idiots who put their trash cans out Sunday night when a gale WAS blowing up found their trash all over the street (and the yards) this AM.

Being a smart feller, I put my trash out this AM when the wind died down to the 20's.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Areas in maine reported,as much as 40 inches of snow, coastal areas,as much as 3ft. The concensus is worst driving conditions anyone has seen in their lifetime. 2ft or so at my house
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

The Birkie cross country ski race is supposed to be this weekend in northern WI. About 50,000 people on pins and needles to see if it snows up there on Friday.

Comment

Stupid snow. Too much to not shovel. Not enough to get the snowblower out. The worst kind.
                        Code:

Comment

Stupid snow. Too much to not shovel. Not enough to get the snowblower out. The worst kind.
                          We are getting all sorts of breathless doomsday scenarios here: 18"-24" in 12 hours! Keep your TV tuned to this station for more breathless updates!!

At least it is supposed to blow in during the night tonight and stop snowing by Tuesday afternoon; that will give DOT and local plows plenty of time to clear everything in time for Wednesday morning commute.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

We had 2-3" on the south side, the association's plow service woke me up around 3 or 4 AM today. What was it like around your redneck of the woods?
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

DC area could get next to nothing or a whole lot of snow. We're right on the rain/snow line.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

4 inches here so far, a few more expected before tomorrow. certainly not snowmaggedon, considering it's still, you know.... winter. not a good time to have an injured back, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X