Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Minnesotans Arguing About the Weather III: Storm's a comin'

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Credit where it's due. Weather Underground had our snow starting at 8. The very first flakes starting falling at 8:00 on the button.
    Snowing here, on the grass not on the pavement. WaPo thinks 3-7".

Re: Minnesotans Arguing About the Weather III: Storm's a comin'

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Snowing here, on the grass not on the pavement. WaPo thinks 3-7".
    Starting to stick on the street now. Already have a couple on the car, grass and fence posts. Sounds like the city is telling folks not to commute tomorrow -- it's going to be a sleet / ice mix all morning.

If DC gets 6 I'll probably get 10.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Another bout of hysteria gets smacked down by reality.

Snowmaggedon! Snowpocalypse!

um, never mind....

Yes, it was a pretty heavy storm, about 6"-8" of snow, which has already changed over to freezing rain. Nowhere near the 12"-18" breathlessly bandied about for days.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

wubba lubba dub dub

Tell that to Maine.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Starting to stick on the street now. Already have a couple on the car, grass and fence posts. Sounds like the city is telling folks not to commute tomorrow -- it's going to be a sleet / ice mix all morning.

If DC gets 6 I'll probably get 10.
    We got 2" of snow at most in DC (except at 1600 PA Ave).

Changed to sleet around midnight that held the totals down.

3" of frozen slush with an icy glaze of about 0.1"
    Last edited by joecct; 03-14-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Tell that to Maine.
    We have nothing so far
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    We have nothing so far
    Oops. Saw your post from 02-14, misread it as 03-14.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Oops. Saw your post from 02-14, misread it as 03-14.
    we got hammered that storm but today the temps are rising, we are going to get a changeover to rain. They are still saying 12 18 here but I don't believe them, temps almost up to 30 now with very light snow.

I saw that NH closed its state liquor stores.

The storm must be really bad up there.

Its crazy out, We had little snow at 4 pm, looks to be over a foot now. The wind is howling and it looks to be changing over to wet snow, probably rain. My wife got stuck in work parking lot, she was livid but they got her out. She finally made it to her moms about 1 mile from work. Tomorrow morning shoveling is going to suck

Wow. The National Weather Service forecasting models on Monday indicated that far less snow would fall in NY City than they had predicted the day before, and they withheld this information from the public!

I know a producer for CBS News, and he confirmed this story for me, so that even if you don't like this one source, there are other sources out there reporting the same thing (e.g., citation from Associated Press in the excerpt).

On the eve of Tuesday’s Winter Storm Stella, the National Weather Service got reports that its dire prediction of up to 2 feet of snow for New York City may have been exaggerated — but decided not to change its forecast.....in the end, only about 7 inches fell in Central Park.

After announcing that snow could reach record levels in the city, NWS meteorologists in New York and other Northeast cities held a conference call Monday afternoon about computer models that dramatically cut predicted totals.

But they decided to continue forecasting deep snow, claiming that they didn’t change their forecast for fear people would mistakenly think the storm was no longer dangerous.

“Out of extreme caution, we decided to stick with higher amounts,” Greg Carbin, chief of forecast operations at the Weather Prediction Center in Maryland, told the Associated Press.

and they never once considered how this inaction might affect their future credibility???

and how stupid do they think people are?? everyone knows how to respond to a forecast for 7" of snow. Everyone knows that would still be quite problematic.

Not only that, but snow removal equipment, emergency services, commuter railroads, other state and local government agencies, were all deploying their resources based on the original prediction, and likely would have made different decisions had they been given accurate information.
    Last edited by FreshFish; 03-16-2017 at 09:56 AM.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    Wow. The National Weather Service forecasting models on Monday indicated that far less snow would fall in NY City than they had predicted the day before, and they withheld this information from the public!

I know a producer for CBS News, and he confirmed this story for me, so that even if you don't like this one source, there are other sources out there reporting the same thing (e.g., citation from Associated Press in the excerpt).

and they never once considered how this inaction might affect their future credibility???

and how stupid do they think people are?? everyone knows how to respond to a forecast for 7" of snow. Everyone knows that would still be quite problematic.

Not only that, but snow removal equipment, emergency services, commuter railroads, other state and local government agencies, were all deploying their resources based on the original prediction, and likely would have made different decisions had they been given accurate information.
    Weather coverage creates ratings. That's why your routine, yet "heavy" storms you routinely see 1-2 times per year get treated like the Snowpacalypse. It sucks, but most people are stupid when it comes to weather. They believe what the talking heads say.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Also, and this was admitted this week by the local weather terrorist, they would rather over estimate. Why? Would you rather expect an inch of snow and get 8? Or expect 8 and get 1?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Also, and this was admitted this week by the local weather terrorist, they would rather over estimate. Why? Would you rather expect an inch of snow and get 8? Or expect 8 and get 1?
    Sure, and I "get" that if you are only talking about one locality...but even here, the forecast would still have been 6"-8" instead of 18". That is still a pretty heavy storm.

More significantly in this case, however, the shift in the model that had far less snow falling along the coast also had even more snow falling inland. For NY state, that means that they had too much equipment in one place, while another part of the state got hit with 30" (instead of 18") and there wasn't nearly enough equipment there. So they spent half a day moving equipment around when they could have been moving it ahead of time had the NWS released the revised forecast that they kept secret.

The commuter railroad shut down entirely to protect against snow that never fell, stranding thousands.

Finally, and this is the most important element: future credibility. How can they reasonably expect people to believe them in the future if they tell people they are knowingly providing false forecasts?
    Last edited by FreshFish; 03-17-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Lucia Apologist

Normally I defend the meteorologists, but I think fresh fish has a point here. The inland people didn't get that same warning and shutting down rail services is a big deal.

Blood Boiling with Rage and Hate Almington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Normally I defend the meteorologists, but I think fresh fish has a point here. The inland people didn't get that same warning and shutting down rail services is a big deal.
    It really depends on if the models had a new consensus or if it was just the latest run. Although the most recent run is usually the most correct, it isn't in 100% of cases. Imagine if they had lowered the forecast and then been wrong to change it?

Lucia Apologist

Very true.

NWS says 6-12" of snow in Denver area tonight into tomorrow.

Wonder what that will hold for the Midwest on Sunday-Monday?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ec8162bc24d7

We're hearing rumors of up to 3" but the weather terrorists are really holding back. "POSSIBLY MAYBE SORTA WORST CASE" terminology. Most expect some slush at most in the Twin Cities.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Thread Information