Minnesotans Arguing About the Weather III: Storm's a comin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesotans Arguing About the Weather III: Storm's a comin'

Got the death sky appearance for about 15 minutes. Then some rain/wind for about 5 minutes. Now it's sunny. It's all headed from SW to NE metro, just north of the 494/694 circle. *sigh*
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Sooooo....

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Actually I’m just seeing light to normal rain between five and six.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Sooooo....
        I got nothing. First wave went north. Second wave went south. So goes being on the border of the heat island of the TC metro
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Sooooo....
          At about 8:00PM it was ALL THE RAIN coming down just as I was leaving the restaurant in St. Paul, and it ended by the time I got to northern Apple Valley. Then more rain came after I arrived home. The rain bands were really narrow last night, but potent.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            I've been seeing that they are saying that even if a road isn't washed out, don't drive on it; they don't know how stable it will be.
            Yep! With the Copper Country littered with old mining stopes and shafts, there are a LOT of voids that are under the ground up there.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Yep! With the Copper Country littered with old mining stopes and shafts, there are a LOT of voids that are under the ground up there.
              Luckily, most of the shafts and stope locations, near population centers are known, so authorities should be able to monitor them. By the time the mining expanded to Houghton County, they knew better than to stope right up to near the surface, so hopefully, there aren't any bad stope collapses. Up in Keweenaw County, like the Copper Falls area, they stoped right to the surface, that area is dangerous.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                Luckily, most of the shafts and stope locations, near population centers are known, so authorities should be able to monitor them. By the time the mining expanded to Houghton County, they knew better than to stope right up to near the surface, so hopefully, there aren't any bad stope collapses. Up in Keweenaw County, like the Copper Falls area, they stoped right to the surface, that area is dangerous.
                What was the one we visited last year? Delaware? They were right at the surface. I imagine they have serious water issues right now.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

What was the one we visited last year? Delaware? They were right at the surface. I imagine they have serious water issues right now.
                  Yeah, that was Delaware, but even the Delaware Mine didn't stope right up to the surface, since the shaft angled under the ridgeline, there is likely a decent amount of rock between the peaks of the stopes and the surface. On top of that hill, right above Delaware mine, is the Copper Falls area, that is where some of the earliest mines were located, back when they were mining for mass copper, and not amygdaloid, in that area, there are stopes that broke the ground, and now they collapse in. It is very dangerous. There is one stope collapse you can see right by one of the roads up there, I can show you in July, it is easy to find, and see right from the road.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    Yeah, that was Delaware, but even the Delaware Mine didn't stope right up to the surface, since the shaft angled under the ridgeline, there is likely a decent amount of rock between the peaks of the stopes and the surface. On top of that hill, right above Delaware mine, is the Copper Falls area, that is where some of the earliest mines were located, back when they were mining for mass copper, and not amygdaloid, in that area, there are stopes that broke the ground, and now they collapse in. It is very dangerous. There is one stope collapse you can see right by one of the roads up there, I can show you in July, it is easy to find, and see right from the road.
                    Yeah, I'd love to see that.
                    Code:

Comment

Thanks BB; I assumed that Houghton was similar to Iron River, in that while there were known areas where mining took place close to the surface within the city limits, there are still some unknown areas.

Throughout the county there are a LOT of areas that are cave-in prone just lying in the woods.

The collapsed stopes are very interesting to see throughout Iron County. There are some pits that have a turquoise color to their water. The hue of the water contrasts pretty well against the rust colored dirt from the mining operations, especially in the summer months. For better or worse a lot of underbrush has obscured these areas throughout Iron County.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Just to head off the "The UP gets so much snow, everything should be built to handle this" chestnut:

Snow is WAY, WAY less dense than liquid rain. 1 inch of liquid rain is equivalent to 10-12 inches of uncompressed snow. Plus it's already in liquid form, and won't sit for a while before it starts gradually melting.

Imagine Houghton getting probably a good 80 percent of its entire winter in 24 hours and it all immediately melts on contact. Very few places are equipped for that, especially outside the Houghton/Tech campus area.
                        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Are people really claiming that? Thats kind of absurd. Very few places are equipped to handle that kind of water.
                          Code:

Comment

And for those looking at Twitch's numbers and thinking... Wunderground has the rain total as documented at the airport as 6.23 inches of rain yesterday. Multiplying with the rate of 10:1 gives you 62.3 inches of snow (5.2'). In one dumping.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

And for those looking at Twitch's numbers and thinking... Wunderground has the rain total as documented at the airport as 6.23 inches of rain yesterday. Multiplying with the rate of 10:1 gives you 62.3 inches of snow (5.2'). In one dumping.
                              A little lower than I expected (I thought Houghton had gotten hit twice for some reason.) Still a lot of liquid to deal with in 24 hours.
                              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Thanks BB; I assumed that Houghton was similar to Iron River, in that while there were known areas where mining took place close to the surface within the city limits, there are still some unknown areas.

Throughout the county there are a LOT of areas that are cave-in prone just lying in the woods.

The collapsed stopes are very interesting to see throughout Iron County. There are some pits that have a turquoise color to their water. The hue of the water contrasts pretty well against the rust colored dirt from the mining operations, especially in the summer months. For better or worse a lot of underbrush has obscured these areas throughout Iron County.
                                No problem. I learned a ton about this from reading the book Hollowed Ground. Basically, by the time the mining reached the Houghton-Hancock area, there had already been mining attempts up in Keweenaw County for several years. They learned alot up there before they moved south. I think much of the early stuff is still pretty unknown, you can walk through woods and come across shafts and stope collapses in that area. Luckily, they did get it figured out a bit, and you don't see it as much at the surface further south. Quincy would probably be the most concerning, since that mine was notorious for stope collapses for many, many years, but the levels that were susceptible to it are now underwater, so I think it is mitigated, to some degree. Plus, Quincy is regularly inspected, and tested to be safe, to accommodate the underground tours.
                                Last edited by bigblue_dl; 06-18-2018, 11:07 AM.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X