X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign XXVI: The Drumpf World Order

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Yup. And that's why CA has 55 EVs and MT, ND, SD and WY combined have 12.
    And that represents a huge over representation for those states compared to CA. Do the math.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      One hundred and fourteen thousand votes. Three states.

If the voters don't show up, there's a why. If they do, there's a why. Wanna win? Score the runs; show up.
      You're repeating the answer to "what happened," which is obvious to everyone on the board who can count, all the while you're acting like it's some prophecy from the heavens that you have divined while everyone else is clueless.

Saying "who showed up" doesn't provide any insight to the deeper questions, despite your misguided belief that it does.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        You're repeating the answer to "what happened," which is obvious to everyone on the board who can count, all the while you're acting like it's some prophecy from the heavens that you have divined while everyone else is clueless.

Saying "who showed up" doesn't provide any insight to the deeper questions, despite your misguided belief that it does.
        There are no deep questions. The Trumpers cared. The Dems did not. Who cares wins.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

More proof that Rudy should be put to pasture.
          You had your chance last Tuesday.
          Originally posted by dicaslover
          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/14/us...smtyp=cur&_r=0

For those saying give Trump I chance I ask the simplest of questions. Why?
            We give Trump a chance because we give the President a chance. We give the President a chance because we believe in democracy.

Of all the disgusting things the right did the last 8 years, the worst was targeting Obama from day 1 and putting their party above their country. We rightly excoriated them for that. Now the shoe is on the other foot.

I hope the country is in better shape four years from now. I am rooting for that. If Trump and the Republican Congress do that, good for them. That's why we elect representatives -- to address the nation's problems. Ideally they do it the way we would, but even if they are going at it from what to us appear to be backwards and ineffective, not to mention ethically questionable and morally repellent ways, if they succeed and the country is better then they have done their job.

To not accept that possibility is to be trapped in the same epistemic closure we accuse the right of being in. For our theories to be rational they must be falsifiable.

So to our conservative and/or Republican friends: do your best. Solve the problems. Help Americans make their lives better. Stay within the rule of law. Good luck to you. My guess is you folks, and by extension the country as a whole, are totally screwed. But I hope I'm wrong. I will not root for a catastrophe to vindicate my beliefs.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

My point is when such a large portion of any organization is "coastally isolated" they may miss what's going on elsewhere. That happened this time. Heck, Mrs. Clinton spent more time in NC than in WI and MI. The Ds were so infatuated with penetration into the "SEC", (c) Kepler, that they forgot to mind the base, cover the core, do the fundamentals.
              Sure. You tried to portray the dems as an echo chamber because they derive 1/3rd of their votes from three states, ignoring the fact that those three states account for roughly 1/6th of the country's population or 1/3rd of the Democratic vote (assuming each major party gets roughly half of country's vote).

That's like saying the GOP must be an echo chamber because Texas makes up a huge portion of its votes. Well no shiat, it's the second biggest state in the country.

You may be right that there is an echo chamber effect on the left, but your reasoning behind that belief in this instance is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                And that represents a huge over representation for those states compared to CA. Do the math.
                That's how the law is written. Change Amendment XII via Article V. It's like the World Series when one team scores more runs, but the other team wins the Series. You know the rules going in.

Another aspect not talked about regarding the Electoral College: Does it suppress popular vote? Do Rs in CA, NY, MA, et al, not vote because they know it just doesn't matter? Honestly, I abstained from voting for President, but I full well knew what was going to happen to ND's 3 EVs. Do similar things happen in locked in "blue" states?

Mr. Trump spent no time in CA or NY or MA this cycle. Why would he? Mrs. Clinton spent no time at all in reliably red states. Why waste her time there. I blame neither for the approach.

However, if we went to popular vote, do we know things wouldn't change. Would more Ds show up in Texas? Would more R's show up in CA, NY, and other blue states?

Is the loyal opposition staying home in reliably < color here > states because they know it doesn't matter? Do we know what would happen in a popular vote world? I know we'd see more R in CA and more D in Texas. Beyond that, do we know.
                Last edited by The Sicatoka; 11-14-2016, 10:10 AM.
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by scoobydoo View Post
                  there are no deep questions. The trumpers cared. The dems did not. Who cares shows up and wins.
                  ftfy.
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    To not accept that possibility is to be trapped in the same epistemic closure we accuse the right of being in. For our theories to be rational they must be falsifiable.
                    Both parties are horribly guilty of believing their < bleep > doesn't stink.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

You may be right that there is an echo chamber effect on the left, but your reasoning behind that belief in this instance is wrong.
                      I never said there wasn't an echo chamber on the Right*. But as Kep's post pointed out, the problem may not be endemic to just the the Right.

*Two relatives I'd have never believed would vote for Trump did. And their reasoning? To quote Maize: EMAILZ!!!! That's all they ever heard on their info-streams.
                      Last edited by The Sicatoka; 11-14-2016, 10:08 AM.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Russia had as much influence as voter fraud.
                        Wikileaks had no influence on the election? Few conservatives even buy that one.

And by voter fraud, you must mean North Carolina where state Republicans shut down urban black voter stations. Or Cleveland, Ohio or other urban areas where lines to vote went around the block and were hours long because there were so few voter stations.

And if you look at Mrs. Clinton's own polls, her numbers had negative slope in the 48 hours before Comey ruined his and the FBI's reputations.
                        There are tons and tons of excuses. The main one is that Mrs. Clinton couldn't hold WI, MI, OH, or PA and it was well within her reach.
                        Here's a simple one:

RCP average of polls
                        October 27 - Clinton +5.6%
                        October 28 (day of Comey announcement) - Clinton +4.6%
                        October 29 - Clinton +4.6%
                        October 30 - Clinton +4.3%
                        October 31 - Clinton +3.1%
                        November 1 - Clinton +2.2%
                        November 2 - Clinton +1.7%
                        November 3 - Clinton +1.3%
                        November 4 - Clinton +1.6%
                        November 5 - Clinton +1.5%
                        November 6 (day of Comey retraction) - Clinton +1.8%
                        November 7 - +3.2%
                        November 8 (election day) - +3.2%

Due to the Comey announcement, Clinton dropped 2.4% points. With those points, she wins easily in electoral votes as well as popular votes:

Wisconsin (Trump +1.0%)
                        Michigan (Trump +0.3%)
                        Pennsylvania (Trump +1.2%)
                        Florida (Trump +1.3%)
                        Last edited by 5mn_Major; 11-14-2016, 10:14 AM.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

I never said there wasn't an echo chamber on the Right. But as Kep's post pointed out, the problem may not be endemic to just the the Right.
                          But your reasoning is still FUBARed.

Comment

But your reasoning is still FUBARed.
                            To the Ds in MA, CA, and NY: Get out and see the world. Actually stop in "Flyover" for more than a refuel.
                            To the Rs in "Flyover": Get out and see the world. Actually visit some urban areas out of your comfort zone.

I think some of you forget that I lived in FL, NY, and MN, before moving back to ND. I miss the broader dialog from living in those places. Then again, I don't miss the insular dialog from those places.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I don't miss the insular dialog from those places.
                              Everywhere is insular. I've lived and traveled all over and I have never been to a place where 80% of the people were not parochial.

Broad perspective is a property of individuals, not city blocks or corn fields.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

*Two relatives I'd have never believed would vote for Trump did. And their reasoning? To quote Maize: EMAILZ!!!! That's all they ever heard on their info-streams.
                                I am not surprised that they're related to you.
                                Originally posted by dicaslover
                                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X