Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Madame President -- it's over. Can we refer to them as 42 & 45 now? can 45 > 42?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Madame President -- it's over. Can we refer to them as 42 & 45 now? can 45 > 42?

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    During ancient times purple was the color of royalty because it was a very expensive color to produce. For a long time it required some element of a sea creature (forget which creature and which element). After that it carried on as a royal color for some time as a matter of tradition. Perhaps she was trying to convey a sense of dignity in her resignation, or saying that the [throne] should rightfully be hers.

Or perhaps she just likes the color purple.
    Sea snails. Excuse me, predatory sea snails. Don't f-ck with them!

You left out the best part. Sumptuary laws in the classical and again in the feudal period prohibited anyone outside of the highest social class from wearing purple. She was clearly making a statement against democracy!!!11!11

Tyrian purple may first have been used by the ancient Phoenicians as early as 1570 BC. The dye was greatly prized in antiquity because the colour did not easily fade, but instead became brighter with weathering and sunlight. Its significance is such that the name Phoenicia means 'land of purple.' It came in various shades, the most prized being that of "blackish clotted blood".

Tyrian purple was expensive: the 4th-century-BC historian Theopompus reported, "Purple for dyes fetched its weight in silver at Colophon" in Asia Minor. The expense meant that purple-dyed textiles became status symbols, and early sumptuary laws restricted their uses. The production of Tyrian purple was tightly controlled in Byzantium and was subsidized by the imperial court, which restricted its use for the colouring of imperial silks. Later (9th century) a child born to a reigning emperor was said to be porphyrogenitos, "born in the purple".
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Re: Madame President -- it's over. Can we refer to them as 42 & 45 now? can 45 > 42?

This was on the news. The color of royalty is the old-school interpretation. Nowadays it means you support gay rights.
      Sorry: more broadly, LGBTQ rights. The "T" is probably the more relevant part with the mixed up pla-do look.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
        This was on the news. The color of royalty is the old-school interpretation. Nowadays it means you support gay rights.
        Sorry: more broadly, LGBTQ rights. The "T" is probably the more relevant part with the mixed up pla-do look.
        I have a sh-t ton of gay friends and this is the absolute first time I have ever heard that.

I'm not saying it's not an association (Wikipedia mentions it as one of a few dozen). I'm just saying I would not be surprised if that had nothing to do with it.

My understanding is purple was the color of the suffragettes. Specifically: purple was dignity and green was hope. That would make a helluva lot more sense, given the context. It may have been a slight dig, since one thing Trump is not is dignified.
        Last edited by Kepler; 11-10-2016, 01:50 PM.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

C'mon Kep, you knew all along that purple is code for the G in LGTBQ.

Jerry Falwell outed him; Tinky Winky gave it away.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Maybe someone should just ask thaem. The one woman on CNN sounded pretty confident, saying it's the only time she's seen Bill in a purple tie (trusting that she keeps records). It could be all of the above, but that seems like it would take a lot of thought when it probably was simply the only garment she hadn't already rent, and she didn't want to go out in sackcloth and ashes, and she ordered Bill to find something complementary.
            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              I have a sh-t ton of gay friends and this is the absolute first time I have ever heard that.

I'm not saying it's not an association (Wikipedia mentions it as one of a few dozen). I'm just saying I would not be surprised if that had nothing to do with it.

My understanding is purple was the color of the suffragettes. Specifically: purple was dignity and green was hope. That would make a helluva lot more sense, given the context. It may have been a slight dig, since one thing Trump is not is dignified.
              either way the podium & subsequent camera angles shielded us from that fat arse
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                The one woman on CNN sounded pretty confident, saying it's the only time she's seen Bill in a purple tie (trusting that she keeps records).
                Bill's probably her "thrill going up her leg", (c) Chris Matthews, so she journals it.
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                  C'mon Kep, you knew all along that purple is code for the G in LGTBQ.

Jerry Falwell outed him; Tinky Winky gave it away.
                  Don't forget this guy....er, gal..... uh, zhe?

https://youtu.be/pyUZroNJlnE
                  Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                    Bill's probably her "thrill going up her leg", (c) Chris Matthews, so she journals it.
                    That meme has been permanently trumped.
                    Cornell University

Comment

I don't think that woman is gonna get her wish. Trump made it plainly clear that there's a number of women out there who don't meet his standards for pu$$y grabbing.

I'm pretty sure this woman is one of them.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

That meme has been permanently trumped.
                        ugh

may have to roll her in flour and look for the wet spot

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          ugh

may have to roll her in flour and look for the wet spot
                          Turn out the lights!

Comment

When purple and green are worn together, it's usually worn by Minnesotans and Yoopers on the day before St. Patrick's Day in celebration of the patron saint, Saint Urho.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

In the past, the business columnist for The New York Post has had some decent connections inside the government. It is too soon to tell whether he is right or not this time.

the National Security Agency was hacking the Russians when the Russians were hacking Hillary’s computer server. And the NSA, as I explained earlier, has already offered Hillary’s emails to the FBI
                              Here is a much longer article on the same subject, the "as I explained earlier" from the quote.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/09/how-a-p...d-the-economy/

I don't care at all about the "Benghazi" nonsense (other than the deliberate falsehoods ); it is the Clinton Foundation accepting money for State Department approvals that is the real problem.
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/he...rticle/2619745

Comment

Working...
                                X