Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DIII game notes

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
    UCHC has to wait 2 years before it gets an AQ, while the 5 SUNYs have 2 years to get to 7 teams before they lose theirs. Meaning the UCHC will be in the Pool B with the WIAC for 2 years, and the SUNYs (might) be in Pool B after that.

Also, unless the meeting this month of the Championships Committee results in a change in philosophy, 9 teams isn't going to happen because they want to avoid odd numbers.
    That's kind of odd (no pun intended) because for years the women's bracket had 7 teams and the men's bracket had 11 teams. Seemed to work fine.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Final score in Plattsburgh: 4-0 Cardinals. Shots were 36-17 Plattsburgh.

The Meneghin-Sheehan-Songin line had 0 goals tonight, but Leonard still inches closer to both of Aveson's records.
      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

The Meneghin-Sheehan-Songin line had 0 goals tonight, but Leonard still inches closer to both of Aveson's records.
        Midd may find their way out of the top 10 soon with games like this...When they don't convert their PP chances they really struggle to win games against good teams. surprised that Fr wasn't in net for this one...coaching hubris??

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat View Post
          Midd may find their way out of the top 10 soon with games like this...When they don't convert their PP chances they really struggle to win games against good teams. surprised that Fr wasn't in net for this one...coaching hubris??
          Neuberger kept the Panthers in it for close to 2 periods. Goal play was not the issue.

Comment

Meneghin did have four penalties. Plattsburgh took 7 penalties and Midd still only managed 17 shots on goal. Unfortunately Platt can push the "that was easy" button again.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
              Meneghin did have four penalties. Plattsburgh took 7 penalties and Midd still only managed 17 shots on goal. Unfortunately Platt can push the "that was easy" button again.
              Looked like the classic case of four lines versus three. Plattsburgh rolled four all night and it definitely paid dividends in the third as it appeared the Cards had worn the Panthers down.
              Steve
              Penn State Class of '95
              Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                Neuberger kept the Panthers in it for close to 2 periods. Goal play was not the issue.
                I would argue she kept them in there longer than that, more like 2 1/2. Middlebury was in it until they couldn't score on the long 5 on 3 power play and they broke and gave up the three goals. Very even game until that point. If Middlebury sweeps Colby I don't think they fall very far in the rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                  I would argue she kept them in there longer than that, more like 2 1/2. Middlebury was in it until they couldn't score on the long 5 on 3 power play and they broke and gave up the three goals. Very even game until that point. If Middlebury sweeps Colby I don't think they fall very far in the rankings.
                  The only rankings that matter have yet to be released yet.
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                    Looked like the classic case of four lines versus three. Plattsburgh rolled four all night and it definitely paid dividends in the third as it appeared the Cards had worn the Panthers down.
                    Looking at the box score, Midd's top line was -3 for the game and Platt's 3rd line had 2 goals. I would think it's very discouraging when you shut down the top line in the country but the 3rd line beats you.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                      Looking at the box score, Midd's top line was -3 for the game and Platt's 3rd line had 2 goals. I would think it's very discouraging when you shut down the top line in the country but the 3rd line beats you.
                      If they look at it that way, sure they can be discouraged. But Plattsburgh 3rd liners are top liners most elsewhere in D3. Ashton Hogan was a 4th liner at Plattsburgh and became a top player for Elmira. Mackenzie Lee did the same for Oswego some years ago. Lizzie Aveson scored two assists her one year at the Burgh (Sydney's last) and has 30 points in her career at UMB and is the third best scorer for them this season. Nicole Mensi scored 0 points in 9 games as a Freshman last year and is now the leading scorer for Manhattanville with 16 goals in 21 games.

Comment

Obserbear I defer to you because of how much you've seen Midd play over the years (Granted I've seen my fair share, too, but regardless).

It seems that even when they play on a MUCH smaller sheet (Platty is 185x85), they still keep everything to the outside like when they're at home on the Olympic sheet and hope something in the middle will open up. Been thinking that for years even while watching when my wife played at Platty. Just seems like waiting for a hole to open up or a juicy rebound isn't going to work as well when there's so much more congestion in front of the net on a smaller sheet and they don't adjust for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by nyi19 View Post
                          Obserbear I defer to you because of how much you've seen Midd play over the years (Granted I've seen my fair share, too, but regardless).

It seems that even when they play on a MUCH smaller sheet (Platty is 185x85), they still keep everything to the outside like when they're at home on the Olympic sheet and hope something in the middle will open up. Been thinking that for years even while watching when my wife played at Platty. Just seems like waiting for a hole to open up or a juicy rebound isn't going to work as well when there's so much more congestion in front of the net on a smaller sheet and they don't adjust for it.
                          This is a very sharp observation. Coaches that don't adjust to varying situations like this or a change in their team speed from one year to the next, etc, will not be successful over the long haul and particularly when it counts most.

Comment

Originally posted by nyi19 View Post

Middlebury just doesn't score the dirty, scrum goals. Their recruiting failed to yield players (as yet to flower, however talented) that operate well in the congested space at the top of the crease. The Panthers cycling and skilled play off the end boards and from the corners is terribly labor intensive given the goal production (and this season's 'goal gods' seem to have eliminated their ability to finish open looks consistently). This team is a mystery to me: so much talent but...

Comment

Middlebury just doesn't score the dirty, scrum goals. Their recruiting failed to yield players (as yet to flower, however talented) that operate well in the congested space at the top of the crease. The Panthers cycling and skilled play off the end boards and from the corners is terribly labor intensive given the goal production (and this season's 'goal gods' seem to have eliminated their ability to finish open looks consistently). This team is a mystery to me: so much talent but...
                              Well...He has [or maybe had] that kind of player in Sherman and Aiello...Of course, it's hard to score the 'scrum goals' while sitting at the end of the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat View Post
                                Well...He has [or maybe had] that kind of player in Sherman and Aiello...Of course, it's hard to score the 'scrum goals' while sitting at the end of the bench.
                                Sherman and Aiello are both skating regular shifts. What are you talking about?

Comment

Working...
                                X