DIII game notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Call It View Post
    In the Karch rankings, how does Platt have an SOS Rank of 1?

In the D3hockey poll, who are the 15 coaches voting?

I feel like today's poll and the end of the season polls are going to look much different. Oswego & UMass Boston are not going to be in the top 10 but who will take their place? Several teams under performed first semester and several over performed.
    The SOS on that table is the average KRACH Rating of each game'a opponent. Yes, Plattsburgh has played William Smith, Neumann, and Castleton. But everyone has some weak teams on their schedule. That's counteract by playing Oswegox2 (current KRACH #2), Adrian (current KRACH #3), Middlebury, and Norwich. Nothing is manipulated to favor one team over another. Their mathematical calculation says that Plattsburgh has played the most difficult schedule to date.

As for how things shake out with Oswego, if they can sustain their current level of play, I think they will finish in the top 10. But that's just my opinion. You are free to disagree.
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

• Re: DIII game notes

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
      Their mathematical calculation says that Plattsburgh has played the most difficult schedule to date.
      It's ironic that Platt has SOS 1 because they can't play themselves. I could see the math adding up to having them at 2 but whatever just weird. And if Oswego is 2 and they played Platt 2x than the other teams were ranked really low.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
        It's ironic that Platt has SOS 1 because they can't play themselves. I could see the math adding up to having them at 2 but whatever just weird. And if Oswego is 2 and they played Platt 2x than the other teams were ranked really low.
        So this is all new to me (kid's a freshman!). Is the rank just that: a statistical ranking of teams based on the data? It seems that some teams aren't on there yet, do they get added at a later date as the season progresses and they meet some minimum criteria?

Comment

• Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
          So this is all new to me (kid's a freshman!). Is the rank just that: a statistical ranking of teams based on the data? It seems that some teams aren't on there yet, do they get added at a later date as the season progresses and they meet some minimum criteria?
          The USCHO.com and D3Hockey.com rankings are just a bunch of Coaches, ADs, and journalists voting on who they think the top 10 teams are. The KRACH is a mathematical calculation of what the probability one team beats a given other based on past performance this season and strength of schedule, and then calculates an estimated Winning Percentage for each team is everybody in DIII Hockey played everybody else an equal number of times.

The one thing that all 3 of those rankings have in common is that they don't have ANY impact on playoffs. Only the NCAA Rankings, which is a bunch of administrators debating via conference call for a few hours in February/March about who beats whom in each of the given criteria and where they should therefore be ranked. That ranking determines At-Large bids into the NCAA Tournament and seeding in the Tounament itself. All other rankings are just something for us to talk about.
          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23

Comment

thank you.

Comment

Small issue with KRACH is it is somewhat dependent on rankings going into season. There's a thread on MN HS board which uses a different computer algorithm which the author calls LSQRANK. Seems to be slightly less biased. Generally KRACH works itself out over the course of the season, but because there just isn't enough crossover play between East and West, we don't know if MIAC, WIAC, and NCHA teams stack up against Eastern teams. So because of the initial rankings, the western teams look worse as a whole.

And as pointed out, it doesn't matter in the long run, as eventually Plattsburgh just wins. But it would be fun if there were more crossover play so you could tell if mid-level West division teams were as good as mid-level East teams, because I don't think KRACH really tells that tale well. I do believe that teams in the West are ranked lower on KRACH than they probably should be.

Comment

How come some teams don't appear on the KRACH rankings? Morrisville comes to mind. Having a very good season (9-2) but not showing up?

Comment

How come some teams don't appear on the KRACH rankings? Morrisville comes to mind. Having a very good season (9-2) but not showing up?
                  Probably because their schedule is so weak. When you play teams like Salem State, Nichols, Canton, Plymouth State, etc, you're not exactly playing a tough schedule. The only decent team they've beaten is Hamilton.

Comment

Eliminating the DI and DII teams that play DIII schedules (games against them don't count for anything except your 25-game limit in a season, that leaves: Morrisville, Johnson & Wales, Salem State, Becker, Lebanon Valley, and Northland. All of whom are playing their 1st or 2nd season Women's Ice Hockey. In fact, of teams who only started playing in 2015 or 2016, I believe that only Endicott made the list.

So it may just be somebody forgot to put them into the list... but that leaves the question of whether their absence affects the actual result, or if they are somehow implemented in the calculation but just not displayed.
                    Plattsburgh CARDINALS

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                      Eliminating the DI and DII teams that play DIII schedules (games against them don't count for anything except your 25-game limit in a season, that leaves: Morrisville, Johnson & Wales, Salem State, Becker, Lebanon Valley, and Northland. All of whom are playing their 1st or 2nd season Women's Ice Hockey. In fact, of teams who only started playing in 2015 or 2016, I believe that only Endicott made the list.

So it may just be somebody forgot to put them into the list... but that leaves the question of whether their absence affects the actual result, or if they are somehow implemented in the calculation but just not displayed.
                      They may not yet be considered DIII teams. Cannot say for sure though.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                        Morrisville beats powerhouse Potsdam tonight...put Morrisville in the top 10!

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                          They may not yet be considered DIII teams. Cannot say for sure though.
                          All of them are from Institutions who are full members of DIII, so my understanding is that they should be full-fledged programs automatically. I think Canton (who is listed) is either a full member as of this year or is on the last year of their wait.
                          Plattsburgh CARDINALS

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                            http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-iii-womens-poll/

River Falls received 1 first place vote!!! Hopefully more votes to come.

Endicott received 3 votes, really? If you glance at their numbers (i.e. record, goals for & against) you might be impressed but look at their opponents. Thus 3 votes, Really?!
                            I'll readily admit I'm a West Fan and while UWRF is a good team this year they are not #1. Mostly likely not even the best team in the West. They are inconsistent right now and their scoring depth has yet to emerge. I do think they will improve as the year goes on but they could also suffer some losses while they are figuring things out that could cost them an NCAA bid given there is no auto-bid for them. Period to period they are like Jekyll and Hyde. Dominating for stretches and then looking like they just put skates on for the first time for a few minutes. UWEC made them look very average just a few weeks ago and while UWEC is improved they are a middle of the road team.

If UWRF can avoid the let downs and get a bit more scoring from outside their top line they should have a shot a the Final Four again. Not sure they compete with the best in the East but in a one and done anything is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by hieronymus View Post
                              I'll readily admit I'm a West Fan and while UWRF is a good team this year they are not #1. Mostly likely not even the best team in the West. They are inconsistent right now and their scoring depth has yet to emerge. I do think they will improve as the year goes on but they could also suffer some losses while they are figuring things out that could cost them an NCAA bid given there is no auto-bid for them. Period to period they are like Jekyll and Hyde. Dominating for stretches and then looking like they just put skates on for the first time for a few minutes. UWEC made them look very average just a few weeks ago and while UWEC is improved they are a middle of the road team.

If UWRF can avoid the let downs and get a bit more scoring from outside their top line they should have a shot a the Final Four again. Not sure they compete with the best in the East but in a one and done anything is possible.
                              I agree with your assessment and I really can't figure it out. Hopefully they figure it out by February. They are one of the teams that I believe really under performed first semester.

Comment

• Originally posted by hieronymus View Post

Will you be at the Concordia series? My wife and I are taking the 400 mile trek for the games.
                                Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X