X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DIII game notes

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
    Utica and Elmira skate to a 2-2 tie
    Correlation between the women's recent lack of success, and the coaching change?? Coincidentally ... the men's defense is hugely improved as of late.

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
      You ask that as if Plattsburgh had a choice in this matter. Remember, it's the private schools who chose to leave.
      That would be ironic because they are the biggest losers with the new conference. I think the SUNYAC conference is going to improve from top to bottom because of all this. They have nice rinks, affordable schools, location to Canada and the bus trips are not overly bad. Who pushed for this? Private school women coaches?

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
        Correlation between the women's recent lack of success, and the coaching change?? Coincidentally ... the men's defense is hugely improved as of late.
        I would say that's an apt correlation but in a way unfair as it's not like Crowley asked for the job. He stepped in after Martalock couldn't last more than a few weeks after Jackson leaving. And "lack of success" is a pretty strong term considering they're still a top team by record with one of the best defenses and a goalie who is leading two of the major goaltending categories in DIII. He's not so inept that he's hindering the success of the very capable players he's inherited. I'm interested to see what he does if he keeps the job...

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
          That would be ironic because they are the biggest losers with the new conference. I think the SUNYAC conference is going to improve from top to bottom because of all this. They have nice rinks, affordable schools, location to Canada and the bus trips are not overly bad. Who pushed for this? Private school women coaches?
          Probably Elmira because they haven't won the ECAC West title since 2011.

Comment

Final score today is Elmira 5-2 over Utica
            Plattsburgh CARDINALS
            SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
            ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
            NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
            NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
            NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
            NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
              And "lack of success" is a pretty strong term considering they're still a top team by record with one of the best defenses and a goalie who is leading two of the major goaltending categories in DIII.
              Hence the qualifier "recent" ... 7-2-3 over the past six weeks is marginally uncharacteristic of EC Women's Hockey.

Comment

USCHO Poll: Norwich swaps spots with Elmira. Oswego jumps two spots despite the 1-1 weekend, swapping spots with Middlebury who was swept by Hamilton this past weekend. Every ranked Western team stayed in their rank from last week.

Team (First Place Votes) Record Points Last Poll
                1 Plattsburgh (15) 18- 1-0 150 1
                2 Wisconsin-River Falls 21- 1-0 130 2
                3 Adrian 17- 2-0 121 3
                4 Norwich 14- 3-1 99 5
                5 Elmira 14- 2-3 93 4
                6 Lake Forest 16- 2-1 76 6
                7 Oswego 15- 4-0 33 9
                8 Amherst 9- 5-4 28 8
                9 Middlebury 9- 5-2 25 7
                10 Augsburg 13- 6-0 15 10

D3hockey site poll: Middlebury is only penalized one spot in the ranks by these voters while Oswego remains unchanged for them making Lake Forest the beneficiary of the sweep by Hamilton, who impressed the voters enough with the sweep to take Amherst's 10 spot in their ranking.

# School (1st votes) Rec Pts Prev.
                1 Plattsburgh State (15) 18-1 150 1
                2 UW-River Falls 21-1 134 2
                3 Adrian 17-2 116 3
                4 Norwich 14-3-1 109 4
                5 Elmira 14-2-3 82 5
                6 Lake Forest 16-2-1 80 7
                7 Middlebury 9-5-2 50 6
                8 Oswego State 15-4 37 8
                9 Connecticut College 11-5-2 28 9
                10 Hamilton 11-5-2 22 NR

Comment

USCHO Poll: Norwich swaps spots with Elmira. Oswego jumps two spots despite the 1-1 weekend, swapping spots with Middlebury who was swept by Hamilton this past weekend. Every ranked Western team stayed in their rank from last week.

Team (First Place Votes) Record Points Last Poll
                  1 Plattsburgh (15) 18- 1-0 150 1
                  2 Wisconsin-River Falls 21- 1-0 130 2
                  3 Adrian 17- 2-0 121 3
                  4 Norwich 14- 3-1 99 5
                  5 Elmira 14- 2-3 93 4
                  6 Lake Forest 16- 2-1 76 6
                  7 Oswego 15- 4-0 33 9
                  8 Amherst 9- 5-4 28 8
                  9 Middlebury 9- 5-2 25 7
                  10 Augsburg 13- 6-0 15 10

D3hockey site poll: Middlebury is only penalized one spot in the ranks by these voters while Oswego remains unchanged for them making Lake Forest the beneficiary of the sweep by Hamilton, who impressed the voters enough with the sweep to take Amherst's 10 spot in their ranking.

# School (1st votes) Rec Pts Prev.
                  1 Plattsburgh State (15) 18-1 150 1
                  2 UW-River Falls 21-1 134 2
                  3 Adrian 17-2 116 3
                  4 Norwich 14-3-1 109 4
                  5 Elmira 14-2-3 82 5
                  6 Lake Forest 16-2-1 80 7
                  7 Middlebury 9-5-2 50 6
                  8 Oswego State 15-4 37 8
                  9 Connecticut College 11-5-2 28 9
                  10 Hamilton 11-5-2 22 NR

at least the D3.com poll is rational....uscho? not so much. Hamilton sweeps Midd but no ranking? Conn sweeps Amherst but gets no credit. The uscho poll is total politics and coaches who "rank" based purely on past reputation, not facts or reality.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcat View Post
                    at least the D3.com poll is rational....uscho? not so much. Hamilton sweeps Midd but no ranking? Conn sweeps Amherst but gets no credit. The uscho poll is total politics and coaches who "rank" based purely on past reputation, not facts or reality.
                    So I agree with some of what you say, but Hamilton has lost to Williams, Morrisville (and tied them), Trinity, and Wesleyan (and tied them). They had a special weekend at Middlebury but they are not that good. And neither is Midd. And neither is Amherst who gave up a 3 goal lead to Williams on Saturday at home. Conn college is clearly the best team in the NESCAC this year and should be highest in the rankings (much as I hate to think about a final four at their godawful rink).
                    Last edited by HockeyEast33; 01-30-2017, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                      So I agree with some of what you say, but Hamilton has lost to Williams, Morrisville (and tied them), Trinity, and Wesleyan (and tied them). They had a special weekend at Middlebury but they are not that good. And neither is Midd. And neither is Amherst who gave up a 3 goal lead to Williams on Saturday at home. Conn college is clearly the best team in the NESCAC this year and should be highest in the rankings (much as I hate to think about a final four at their godawful rink).
                      lol. can't say i disagree...except Midd has beaten some top teams and then again has managed to lose to several average nescacs [is the nescac that weak or is it that strong???]. I don't really think Conn is that good...other than great at keeping pucks out of their net....very hard team to score on. I think Amherst, for all their warts, is the best in the nescac [though they are obviously beatable and rely way too much on Topal and their PP to win games, much like Midd does with Winslow, Watson and Young]. Conn has the most depth/balance but no 'go to' dominant offensive player which could hurt them in a big game. Hammy has been a surprise...getting some offense and the goalie is very good when she's on. Williams is just an inconsistent hot mess...great one day, terrible the next....Bowdoin is similar...hard to figure if the PBears are for real.

Interesting year as really 6 or even 7 teams could win the conf tourney...no clear favorite...It will come down to goaltending and the usual #$#%#$ officiating in this conf. If the refs decide it, then it will be Midd or Amherst. If they let the kids play, then anyone could win...even Trinny or Wesly with a hot goalie in the tournament. Flip a coin because this one is a crap shoot.

Also agree...would love to see Dayton host the finals....with girls dressing in the parking lot. That rink is a joke.

Comment

• Hate to admit it but Conn should be ahead of Midd in the rankings. Them being ranked behind Oswego is very laughable too.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat View Post
                          lol. can't say i disagree...except Midd has beaten some top teams and then again has managed to lose to several average nescacs [is the nescac that weak or is it that strong???]. I don't really think Conn is that good...other than great at keeping pucks out of their net....very hard team to score on. I think Amherst, for all their warts, is the best in the nescac [though they are obviously beatable and rely way too much on Topal and their PP to win games, much like Midd does with Winslow, Watson and Young]. Conn has the most depth/balance but no 'go to' dominant offensive player which could hurt them in a big game. Hammy has been a surprise...getting some offense and the goalie is very good when she's on. Williams is just an inconsistent hot mess...great one day, terrible the next....Bowdoin is similar...hard to figure if the PBears are for real.

Interesting year as really 6 or even 7 teams could win the conf tourney...no clear favorite...It will come down to goaltending and the usual #$#%#$ officiating in this conf. If the refs decide it, then it will be Midd or Amherst. If they let the kids play, then anyone could win...even Trinny or Wesly with a hot goalie in the tournament. Flip a coin because this one is a crap shoot.

Also agree...would love to see Dayton host the finals....with girls dressing in the parking lot. That rink is a joke.
                          Very concise analysis of the NESCAC. The big question will be: does any NESCAC team have a shot at a Pool 'C' bid? I think the answer may come down to Middlebury winning at least one of their remaining non-conference games. By the by, our house is about 15 minutes from Dayton...

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat View Post
                            ...Also agree...would love to see Dayton host the finals....with girls dressing in the parking lot. That rink is a joke.
                            Does the NESCAC not have rink requirements for hosting the conference finals? Or does Dayton meet requirements on paper but in reality it's not really suitable for a tourney?

Comment

Does the NESCAC not have rink requirements for hosting the conference finals? Or does Dayton meet requirements on paper but in reality it's not really suitable for a tourney?
                              I think everybody may be getting a little ahead of themselves here about Conn hosting the finals...there is still a lot of hockey to play and nothing in the Nessie is settled at this point. Conn still has to play Trin, Bow, Colby and Hamilton to close out the year [likely to determine #1 seed].

And speaking of bad rinks, I think I'd actually rank Hamilton's below Conn [yes, it's historic but there is literally room for 50 spectators and there are poles not just blocking your view, but blocking access to the ice from the benches....just a disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                                I think everybody may be getting a little ahead of themselves here about Conn hosting the finals...there is still a lot of hockey to play and nothing in the Nessie is settled at this point. Conn still has to play Trin, Bow, Colby and Hamilton to close out the year [likely to determine #1 seed].

And speaking of bad rinks, I think I'd actually rank Hamilton's below Conn [yes, it's historic but there is literally room for 50 spectators and there are poles not just blocking your view, but blocking access to the ice from the benches....just a disaster.
                                Wasn't trying to join anyone in crowning Conn the host, just asking about the rink as the only NESCAC rink I've seen is Amherst.

Comment

Working...
                                X