Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Basketball 2016-17: Destination Phoenix

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    And Pitino puts an exclamation point on the game.
    Haha wow.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

I thought Vanderbilt was smart
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
        I thought Vanderbilt was smart
        They Northwestern'd Northwestern.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

What happened?
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            What happened?
            Vandy went up one on a layup with 15-20 seconds left. Their coach begins yelling for a defensive set, one of their players gets confused and instead fouls the Northwestern ball handler. NU goes to the line and hits both free throws to take the lead. Vandy heaves up an awful three with six seconds left and loses.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Went 7/8 this afternoon, only missed Notre Dame over Princeton.

Comment

In our office "skills contest" so far, out of 42 entries:
                -- 1 perfect bracket
                -- 4 are 15 for 16.

Other notes:
                -- is it an "upset" if 37 of 42 brackets pick the lower seed to win? (we're looking at you, Middle Tennessee over Minnesota)
                -- or 35 of 42? (Xavier over Maryland).
                -- worst bracket is 8 of 16; however this person is chronically last. He was the only person to pick both Minnesota and Maryland
                -- the honorary "Pope Francis" bracket is not scoring too high right now, but it still looks solid long-term ("he" picks all religious schools first, then Catholic schools, then Jesuit schools). Too bad for "him" that the left side of the bracket is stacked, including Duke (Methodist), Baylor (Baptist), Xavier, Notre Dame, SMU, while the right side is nearly barren. Villanova and Gonzaga in the Final Four, Gonzaga to win it all, looks okay; but Iona and Seton Hall? http://rpiratings.com/schoolaffiliations.php

For my bracket this year, I used a simulator from the WSJ website: you have sliders to allocate "points" among Rebounding, Steals, 3-point shooting, free throw shooting, tourney experience; and another section of sliders to allocate "points" between offense and defense in general, and a slider for "randomness" (0 = all chalk; 100 = lots of upsets). Someone ran an analysis that indicated that, in a pool of 40, the "optimum" number of upsets to pick is 10.5, with 40% of them in the first round. We'll see how that works out... I would never have come up with this one on my own, that's for sure (FF of Baylor, Florida State, Oregon, and UCLA, with UCLA over Florida State in the Final?? seriously? oh, well, it's worth $10 for three weeks of entertainment value alone).
                Last edited by FreshFish; 03-17-2017, 06:49 AM.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Even though I pay no attention to men's college basketball at all during the regular season any more, these four days to me are still the best four days for sports overall in the entire year (unless there is a men's soccer World Cup, which I find compelling as well): 64 teams on Thursday morning, down to 16 by Sunday night; 48 games of emotional intensity and intriguing action.

Edit: this year it will be five days since UConn women pay Saturday and Monday. I find them really fun to watch all season long because of how well they execute all the fundamentals all the time, on offense and defense.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    I find them really fun to watch all season long because of how well they execute all the fundamentals all the time, on offense and defense.
                    https://youtu.be/u7tkK-1-fFM

Comment

The only one I missed yesterday was Virginia. In my past that means I'll only get 9/16 today.
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        "We need rest. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised."
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Had 4 losses, none affected my Sweet 16. I got in the ESPN one. Was going to enter Shirtless' until I found you had to sign up for Yahoo and remembered 4 russkies were indicted for hacking into that.
                          A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by unofun View Post
                            [derogatory response to a post praising the quality of women's basketball when played at a top level]
                            It's quite droll how you are so unaware of your own sexism while you are so aggrieved whenever you think you see racism in someone else....

Comment

13/16 so far, Maryland out of the sweet 16.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                                13/16 so far, Maryland out of the sweet 16.
                                Same here, I completely crapped up the Maryland/Xavier/FSU/FGCU group, but other than that I missed two or three but nothing that goes beyond the second round*.

*I refuse to call the current round the second round. It's the first round goddammit!

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X