Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: College Basketball 2016-17: Destination Phoenix

Re: College Basketball 2016-17: Destination Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Against South Carolina, in South Carolina, in a game that should have been in North Carolina, but was moved due to the bathroom bill to South Carolina, which couldn't host until two years prior due to the confederate flag.
    LOL. Wow.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

After 32 games, there's someone in my work group at 32/32.
    Whoa. I've never known anybody to run the first two rounds. Very impressive and/or lucky as f-ck.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Generic Catchy Message
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Whoa. I've never known anybody to run the first two rounds. Very impressive and/or lucky as f-ck.
    I think he lost three or four straight to start the second round, so the dream ended quickly. He's still in first place though.

Other than Kansas advancing, Duke getting sent home was the best part of the first 2 rounds. I've got 12 teams in the Sweet 16.
    A bad cause requires many words.

In ESPN's bracket challenge, 18 brackets out of more than 18 million correctly predicted the Sweet 16.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Maybe it's just me but I'm struggling with watching this year. After many years of feeling that the NCAA product was superior to the NBA, that seems to have changed. The NBA has become a much better team game that highlights individual skill, while the NCAA has turned into a brawl. Watching the B1G championship game, neither team should have even had 5 players left on the court at the end, every play involved about 5 obvious fouls that went uncalled. I get that same vibe from much or the tournament so far, watching who can get away with the most fouls isn't very exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I'm struggling with watching this year. After many years of feeling that the NCAA product was superior to the NBA, that seems to have changed. The NBA has become a much better team game that highlights individual skill, while the NCAA has turned into a brawl. Watching the B1G championship game, neither team should have even had 5 players left on the court at the end, every play involved about 5 obvious fouls that went uncalled. I get that same vibe from much or the tournament so far, watching who can get away with the most fouls isn't very exciting.
    It's the usual story. They called tighter games at the start of the year, and there was a period when the teams had adjusted and the game was relatively free flowing. But the refs and teams both backslid by crunch time.

Generic Catchy Message

I see the NBA as more of a brawl than the NCAA, but the NBA players are so skilled they can fight through it/out of it and so it's just accepted, especially in the playoffs.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

lucky penguin

People do often complain that Michigan plays ugly, far too physical basketball.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

I see the NBA as more of a brawl than the NCAA, but the NBA players are so skilled they can fight through it/out of it and so it's just accepted, especially in the playoffs.
    the players today are so big, so quick, with such great jumping ability, that sometimes it is almost like watching a good high school team play with an 8' rim on a court 30 feet wide and 60 feet long.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Quinnipiac women, a 12-seed, advance to Sweet Sixteen.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    Quinnipiac women, a 12-seed, advance to Sweet Sixteen.
    Starting to wonder if the women's tourney is a mere formality.

John Thompson III out at Georgetown.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    John Thompson III out at Georgetown.
    No surprise.

NCAA to pull all events from North Carolina unless HB2 is repealed by April 18.

Yep, still here

I didn't know Les Miles was coaching WVU basketball.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Arizona is out.

Does Xavier count as Cinderella?

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Starting to wonder if the women's tourney is a mere formality.
    Actually, there is more parity in women's Division I than ever before. Last year, only one # 1 seed made it into the Final Four. The parity was disguised because there was a once-in-a-generation talent playing at UConn, which is noted for being the best school to develop talent, so that combination was so far above the rest of the field that it was hard to see what was happening overall.

She's graduated, so this year's UConn team is particularly vulnerable. They easily could have lost four games so far this year, just a few lucky bounces one way or the other at a crucial moment. If UConn somehow does win again this year, it actually should count as somewhat of an upset, because on paper Baylor, South Carolina, and Maryland all have better talent, and Notre Dame is just as good.

Normally, you don't graduate the #1, #2, and #3 overall picks in the draft, enter the season with no pre-season All-Americans, when six or seven other schools have more top recruits, and do what they've done this year. It's been a study in improvisation and guile, not raw talent, keeping them afloat so far: their team play is outperforming other schools who have more talented players that aren't as cohesive as a unit. Their "center" is 5'11" yet she outplays 6'5" post players with her quickness and intelligence.
    Last edited by FreshFish; 03-24-2017 at 07:28 AM.

One of the advantages of having your bracket shredded in the first weekend: you get to relax and enjoy the games without caring whether "your" team wins or not.

Three fine games last night.

If my picks can't win, I'd like to see someone who's never won it before go all the way.

Are we now assured of a new first-time Final Four team in either Gonzaga or Xavier?

Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    One of the advantages of having your bracket shredded in the first weekend: you get to relax and enjoy the games without caring whether "your" team wins or not.

Three fine games last night.

If my picks can't win, I'd like to see someone who's never won it before go all the way.

Are we now assured of a new first-time Final Four team in either Gonzaga or Xavier?
    Considering they play each other Sat and the winner advances to the F4 I'd say yes.

Thread Information