College Basketball 2016-17: Destination Phoenix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Basketball 2016-17: Destination Phoenix

Hats off to Iowa State. Down 15 at halftime they gave Kansas a b-ball lesson the rest of the way. Perfect trap game. Kansas played at (then #18) WVA - L, @ (then #4 Kentucky - W and home against #2(not for long) Baylor -W. Toughen them up for the tourney.
    A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

UConn women playing great fundamentals. Last night, at one point, 30 assists on 36 field goals (the other 6 were steals and breakaway layups). If you like well-played basketball, they are really fun to watch.

Game before that, they were 11 for 12 in the first quarter, all layups off their motion offense.

This year is the one they were supposed to come down to earth, having lost to graduation the #1, #2, and #3 overall picks in the draft.

Hasn't happened yet. Next big chance, Monday night against the # 3 team (they already beat two teams ranked # 2 at the time they played).
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

NCAA investigation of UNC finds 8 level 1 violations. About time the academic fraud going on there has some repercussions. No not that UNC...but I bet they get the penalty for both.

Comment

UConn makes it 100.

Two games within single digits.

Average margin of victory is 38
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
            UConn makes it 100.

Two games within single digits.

Average margin of victory is 38
            And thus making the ladies game ultimately boring as s**t. And I don't say that as a member of woman hater's club. I love watching women's hockey, volleyball, softball, soccer. But a division in which one team dominates year after year after year...

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              And thus making the ladies game ultimately boring as s**t. And I don't say that as a member of woman hater's club. I love watching women's hockey, volleyball, softball, soccer. But a division in which one team dominates year after year after year...
              I came of age as a middle and high schooler during the great UCLA run of the 1960's and first half of the 1970's. Big college basketball fan at that time, but never a Bruins fan.

It was exactly the same as the what we are seeing with UCONN today. There was a simple nonchalance over how great those Bruins teams were because that's just the way it was. They were always good.

It's not until you sit back and look, 40 or 50 years later, and realize that what we saw then will never happen again in the men's game.

I think the UCONN women's basketball program is one of the great stories in all of sports. Anyone who is an adult and a sports fan and alive now while this is happening but who fails to appreciate it as it is happening is missing out, imho.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

http://i.imgur.com/34b9Qk0.jpg

Still one of the all time funniest episodes of TV, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  UConn actually keeps me watching women's basketball outside of MSU games. Like the US women's team, there's an efficiency that is almost artificial because it doesn't seem possible.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    http://i.imgur.com/34b9Qk0.jpg

Still one of the all time funniest episodes of TV, ever.
                    The spirit is willing but the flesh is spongy and bruised.

Those entire final two seasons are nothing short of brilliant.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                      Hats off to Iowa State. Down 15 at halftime they gave Kansas a b-ball lesson the rest of the way. Perfect trap game. Kansas played at (then #18) WVA - L, @ (then #4 Kentucky - W and home against #2(not for long) Baylor -W. Toughen them up for the tourney.
                      Hats off to Kansas. Down 14 with a little under 3 mins left they tied the game, sent it into OT and outscored West by God Virginia 34-18 to win in Lawrence.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                        UConn actually keeps me watching women's basketball outside of MSU games. Like the US women's team, there's an efficiency that is almost artificial because it doesn't seem possible.
                        Their coach actually talks quite frankly that they are competing for people's entertainment dollars and that winning doesn't mean much in their sport unless people enjoy watching it, too. Last night's game had the highest ratings of any college game on ESPN2 this season, men's or women's.

I've learned to watch the play off the ball, and not pay much attention to whomever has it, when they are in half-court offense or in half-court defense. On offense, a player will set a screen for another player to get unimpeded to another spot on the floor at which to set another screen.

They have one of the most exquisite fast breaks you will ever see, it is just as good as the Showtime Lakers (except no dunk at the end). Pass-pass-pass-pass score, maybe the ball hits the floor once.

This year's team is a delightful surprise. They weren't supposed to be very good this year. Their best post player is 5'11", and she just schooled a very very good center who is 6'5" last night (with help of course. The team defense cut off the high post and kept the guards away from spots on the floor that from which an entry pass normally would originate). She also finished 4th in high jump at US Olympic trials, great vertical. Jay Bilas calls her the most complete player in college basketball, man or woman, this year.

One of their starting guards has an absurd assist/turnover ratio of 4.89. # 2 in the nation is at 3.42.
                        Last edited by FreshFish; 02-14-2017, 04:07 PM.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

West Virginia went over 10 minutes without scoring a basket in overtime tonight against Texas Tech, yet still won in 2OT.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Kansas' win over Baylor in Wacko yesterday was their 10th straight against dem Bears. 3 game lead in the Big 12 with 4 to play.

Comment

Syracuse beats Duke on buzzer beater.
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

BYU wins at Gonzaga for the 3rd straight year. #1 goes down on the final regular season game
                                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X