Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016-17 UW-Superior Hockey

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
    While I'm not exactly sure what the point of that bit of mythological romanticism is, I can nonetheless tell you it has nothing to do with why Superior is not what it once was. It has nothing to do with that, nothing to do with the WIAC, nothing to do with any other bit of administrative tripe anyone wants to waste time trumping up. Rather, it has to do with the simple fact they spent well over a decade employing a coach who wasn't qualified to coach a good Bantam A team. It's as simple as that. This isn't 1994.
    Agreed. 3 of the 5 teams in the WIAC have no problem competing and being ranked nationally consistently. The other two are Stout and Superior, who have been led by complete bozos over the last 10 years. It turns out having a good coach matters. What a shocker.
    Last edited by BetterInLakePlacid; 11-21-2016, 09:58 AM.
    I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

Originally posted by walktheline View Post
      GB Puck Fan, thank you for the comments. My rant had switched from hockey based frustration to the WIAC pull out from a few years back as I still don't fully understand that decision. Let me get back on track. UWS has a new coach and it's clearly slow to start after scoring 19 goals in the first weekend. The team has since posted a 1-5 record and scored only 8 goals in that time. The goalie situation is confusing to me as coach has used both in 3 different games. Both Wood and Fink have essentially the same crappy results. Minus week one highlights, UWS is scoring 1.33 goals/g while allowing 5 per game. Power play, after week one, is not a success and is sitting at 2/32. Moreover, the games I've seen (again minus week one) have been nothing short of horrible. I specifically recall 2 power plays where the opponent had more time with the puck than UWS. My point with all of this shouldn't shock anyone, it's just not working
      Exactly my point from earlier. This coach has no clue. Why would you run the returning Senior goalie out and keep Wood. The kid hasn't had a respectable season ever and the Senior appears to have had respectable numbers for 2 years, even under Stauber's old fashion game. He hasn't given Fink a chance to prove himself. And he selects a average club goalie as his third pick. Has he ever even looked at stats for a good place start? He can't coach a defensive game. It is just going to get uglier and uglier. And of course, he will blame the players and not take the ownership of his poor decisions. Just a shame!

Comment

Originally posted by ECfan View Post
        Exactly my point from earlier. This coach has no clue. Why would you run the returning Senior goalie out and keep Wood. The kid hasn't had a respectable season ever and the Senior appears to have had respectable numbers for 2 years, even under Stauber's old fashion game. He hasn't given Fink a chance to prove himself. And he selects a average club goalie as his third pick. Has he ever even looked at stats for a good place start? He can't coach a defensive game. It is just going to get uglier and uglier. And of course, he will blame the players and not take the ownership of his poor decisions. Just a shame!
        It isn’t about what you know, it is all about who you know. After a, less than stellar 28 games playing D-III he became a Grad Assistant at Wesleyan, perhaps he can’t get rid of the bad influence.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradz View Post
          It isn’t about what you know, it is all about who you know. After a, less than stellar 28 games playing D-III he became a Grad Assistant at Wesleyan, perhaps he can’t get rid of the bad influence.
          So the most recent responses are suggesting an unqualified head/assistant coaching staff. I reserve my judgement on those allegations. That being said, the current season situation is ugly and only getting uglier and that I will agree is up to the leaders to fix. If UWS will not be a high scoring team, will they at least put the stop to opponents scoring 6+ goals per game? No player/s have stepped up on defense, which is my worry. #10 (Colton Nelson) shows promise on defense but only on the forecheck. #25 (Jerry Miettunen) is offense minded defensive player who can skate but again, scoring is not happening. These examples, however specific, show that some new players are worth talking about even with a sick team. The Jackets are out there tonight and hopefully grab on to some sort of progress
          The U.P. should be the 27th star on Old Glory.

Comment

So the most recent responses are suggesting an unqualified head/assistant coaching staff. I reserve my judgement on those allegations. That being said, the current season situation is ugly and only getting uglier and that I will agree is up to the leaders to fix. If UWS will not be a high scoring team, will they at least put the stop to opponents scoring 6+ goals per game? No player/s have stepped up on defense, which is my worry. #10 (Colton Nelson) shows promise on defense but only on the forecheck. #25 (Jerry Miettunen) is offense minded defensive player who can skate but again, scoring is not happening. These examples, however specific, show that some new players are worth talking about even with a sick team. The Jackets are out there tonight and hopefully grab on to some sort of progress
            What people aren't grasping is the depth of the pit the former regime left the program in relative to the current state of DIII. Or they just don't want to admit it due to personal agendas. I don't know. But what I do know is that it's rather amusing that people who sat silent while the program unfortunately circled the drain for a decade now have all sorts of things to say after just a month under McKenna. If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know, I'm not sure what will.
            I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

What people aren't grasping is the depth of the pit the former regime left the program in relative to the current state of DIII. Or they just don't want to admit it due to personal agendas. I don't know. But what I do know is that it's rather amusing that people who sat silent while the program unfortunately circled the drain for a decade now have all sorts of things to say after just a month under McKenna. If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know, I'm not sure what will.

McKenna deserves the opportunity to prove himself. As it stands today McKenna’s winning percentage at .400 exceeds that of many active D-III coaches who have had plenty of chance to prove themselves and haven’t. It also gives one a good idea of just how some schools feel about the importance of their programs, which of course directly relates to recruiting.

Rich McKenna 4 6 0 .400 10

Ken Hutchins 82 130 18 .396 230
              Jay Pecora 22 35 5 .395 62
              Lance Brady 73 123 16 .382 212
              Chris Potter 101 177 39 .380 317
              Chris Glionna 103 177 27 .379 307
              Ed Harding 18 31 2 .373 51
              Jim Ward 103 191 28 .363 322
              Bill Moore 78 144 15 .361 237
              Chris Bernard 83 156 21 .360 260
              Greg Heffernan 57 118 12 .337 187
              Shayne Toporowski 16 38 4 .310 58
              Damian DiGiulian 32 75 5 .308 112
              Kevin Krogol 22 71 13 .269 106
              Seamus Gregory 18 59 9 .262 86
              Charlie Burggraf 31 116 13 .234 160

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Some do, some don't. The forest is healthy. Some trees may be sick.
                Too deep for me. Is Confuious, or however the crap you spell it, your cousin?
                "Career highlights? I had two - I got an intentional walk from Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets." - Bob Uecker

Read my blog! gbsportsguy.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by powerofyellowandblack View Post
                  Too deep for me. Is Confuious, or however the crap you spell it, your cousin?
                  No. Webb is not related to me.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Holy smokes, how long have you waited to release that can of WhoopAss?

The most challenging question about the current regime stands around the inability to make proper adjustments when needed. McKenna is young in the job and clearly learning the control needed in this setting. Sure, coming off an 8-1 victory is good for morale but we all see how that worked earlier in the season. WIAC play begins Friday. No matter the record, it's always fun to welcome conference play. Cheers all.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      No. Webb is not related to me.
                      Anyone know if Webb will be following Pointers to Superior this weekend?

Comment

The most challenging question about the current regime stands around the inability to make proper adjustments when needed. McKenna is young in the job and clearly learning the control needed in this setting. Sure, coming off an 8-1 victory is good for morale but we all see how that worked earlier in the season. WIAC play begins Friday. No matter the record, it's always fun to welcome conference play. Cheers all.
                        I'm not trying to release any "whoopass." Nor am I trying to be obnoxious. The truth here is very straightforward. 50,000 words could be posted about UWS and it won't change the fact the program went in the dumps for a very simple reason that takes one or two sentences to explain. So, I'd say give the new guy some time. You can't cut dead weight, change a culture and attitude, and start winning all sorts of games overnight. Can he do it eventually? Don't know. But were I a UWS fan I'd be encouraged by the recruits he kicked up on pretty short notice. Considering the past decade there it defies every form of logic for anyone to all of a sudden start complaining now. Unless they have a personal agenda, of course.

And no I won't be in Superior this weekend. Would make for a rather long trip. Fully expect to be in Utica come March, though.
                        Last edited by XYZ; 11-30-2016, 02:38 AM.
                        I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

I'm not trying to release any "whoopass." Nor am I trying to be obnoxious. The truth here is very straightforward. 50,000 words could be posted about UWS and it won't change the fact the program went in the dumps for a very simple reason that takes one or two sentences to explain. So, I'd say give the new guy some time. You can't cut dead weight, change a culture and attitude, and start winning all sorts of games overnight. Can he do it eventually? Don't know. But were I a UWS fan I'd be encouraged by the recruits he kicked up on pretty short notice. Considering the past decade there it defies every form of logic for anyone to all of a sudden start complaining now. Unless they have a personal agenda, of course.

And no I won't be in Superior this weekend. Would make for a rather long trip. Fully expect to be in Utica come March, though.

I get your point on cutting slack to the new guy, I've mentioned that myself earlier in this thread. However, I yearn for many folks to acknowledge that the WIAC "disbanding" decision fundamentally stripped the conference many years of real legitimacy. Yeah, there are still great success stories from the WIAC but I don't know how long that can last in the current format. For the Yellowjackets, their WIAC conference record, 6-23-3 over the last 3 seasons, is atrocious and you somehow think UWS fans didn't know that was the trend coming into this season. In fact, the last winning conference record for UWS came in the 2010-11 campaign.

I have to also address this notion of "calling for heads." It's DIII College Hockey, not High School. I hope to think the fan base at UWS has a little more respect than angry mothers and fathers.

The last second recruiting done by McKenna this season is positive but these kids followed McKenna here from New Jersey. It's going to be interesting to see the pieces he can put together after a true recruiting rotation.

Comment

I get your point on cutting slack to the new guy, I've mentioned that myself earlier in this thread. However, I yearn for many folks to acknowledge that the WIAC "disbanding" decision fundamentally stripped the conference many years of real legitimacy. Yeah, there are still great success stories from the WIAC but I don't know how long that can last in the current format. For the Yellowjackets, their WIAC conference record, 6-23-3 over the last 3 seasons, is atrocious and you somehow think UWS fans didn't know that was the trend coming into this season. In fact, the last winning conference record for UWS came in the 2010-11 campaign.

I have to also address this notion of "calling for heads." It's DIII College Hockey, not High School. I hope to think the fan base at UWS has a little more respect than angry mothers and fathers.

The last second recruiting done by McKenna this season is positive but these kids followed McKenna here from New Jersey. It's going to be interesting to see the pieces he can put together after a true recruiting rotation.
                            You recruit what you know best. With a short time frame, he would have to focus on a smaller area. Brooks at UWSP gets a ton of recruits from Michigan, where he knows best. As long as he can spot decent talent, it doesn't matter where it comes from. In fact, he might be able to get good players that aren't getting looked at as much. Right now, the Pointers appear to have the market on players from Oklahoma. I'm sure McKenna will start spreading out a bit more as he has time.

If anyone wants to see something pretty grim, if you take out games against Finlandia, Northland, and Aurora over the last full seasons, you get the following records for Superior:

2015-2016 - 5-14-3
                            2014-2015 - 4-18-1

Ouch.
                            I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

He is in over his head, knows nothing about managing his players. Chooses to keep Graham which was a bigger part of the problem than Stauber was. A coach needs to lead, teach, manage... Not blame the depth of what he inherited. McKenna brought in a number of players, so the excuses don't exist. He's got goalie issues, and no depth there because he cut his best kid. My suggestion is to start the search now to replace him instead of waiting until March or April again. When the team fails, the coach failed. Not winning vs Stout, pretty tells you where the season will end.

Comment

UWS kept it scoreless for over half the S.P. contest. Flashes of brilliance bit I think it's only luck. Could have been a way higher total for Point but the defense was in line. 3 SOG on the 1st and 6 in the 3rd just won't send the fans home happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X