Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utica College 2016/2017

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
    I haven't seen them play yet this year, might want to come over to see Hobart. Will it be sold out, can I walk up and get in at gametime ?
    Average attendance is 3305 ( 82% capacity). I think the only sellout this season was the TBT. Hobart doesn't even draw at home, so they won't bring many fans.

You ought to be fine, but you could always call The Aud and have a ticket held for you at the Will Call window. (Might suffer a TicketBastard "surcharge", though.)

Comment

UC peaking at the right time ? (like SU hoops) Ranked again this week I bet. If I remember correctly one of the criteria the NCAA comm uses is record in last 10 games ?
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

UC peaking at the right time ? (like SU hoops) Ranked again this week I bet. If I remember correctly one of the criteria the NCAA comm uses is record in last 10 games ?
        One of the secondary criteria is record in last 25% of season which ends up being your last 6 or 7 games usually. It used to be primary, but it was moved to secondary at the start of last season.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          One of the secondary criteria is record in last 25% of season which ends up being your last 6 or 7 games usually. It used to be primary, but it was moved to secondary at the start of last season.
          UC win v. Hobart a real shot in the arm. I thought hobart would get the B pool invitation (and still may) but UC beating ranked teams of late (Neumann, Hobart) provides a flicker of hope. Really thought Hobart would kill UC after we eked out a win v. Elmira. Very pleasant surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by hue-z View Post
            UC win v. Hobart a real shot in the arm. I thought hobart would get the B pool invitation (and still may) but UC beating ranked teams of late (Neumann, Hobart) provides a flicker of hope. Really thought Hobart would kill UC after we eked out a win v. Elmira. Very pleasant surprise.
            It was. Would have settled for a tie before the fact, but UC played as well as it has all year against the best team I've seen in '16/'17. (No slight to Oswego; wasn't there for that one.) It was a great end-to-end game. UC earned the W, and with it some very valuable comparison points.

I do tend to bash Heenan when he lets his "systems" get in the way, but he's letting the boys use their speed to play basic North-South hockey lately and going with Virtanen every game, which has resulted in a return to early-season form... Happy to give him credit when it's due.

Hobart is a talented and an extremely well-coached team. Barring either a collapse or a rash of upset AQ's, I think the Statesmen will get a bid.

Utica is still off the bubble right now, but if they win-out the RS (very possible) and go to the conference final (which they'll likely host), they'll have a legitimate shot at Pool C, albeit needing some help along the way via Oswego, Norwich, et al holding serve in their respective PS tournaments. If they win the W tournament, Pool B looms. (Or so I think... Never been accused of being a student of the rather Byzantine D-3 process. )

In any case, it's fun to see them in the National conversation again, and playing to win.
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-05-2017, 04:26 PM.

Comment

No respect from USCHO's poll but D3Hockey has them at 13 this week.
              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

No respect from USCHO's poll but D3Hockey has them at 13 this week.
                Plus the fact that Hobart didn't budge in the USCHO after UC beat them...that poll is too generous and snubs teams all at the same time. I'd say after beating ranked teams in back to back weekends deserves something, at least the D3hockey poll is a bit nicer to UC Hope they can keep it rolling, finally some good, hard-fought games being played the last 2 weeks. That's what the ECAC West is all about.
                Last edited by UCfan30; 02-06-2017, 02:09 PM.
                Utica Pioneers Hockey
                2012-13 Frozen Four Semi-Finalist
                2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 UCHC Regular Season Champs
                2017-18 UCHC Tournament Champions
                2019-20 UCHC Tournament Champions

Comment

Originally posted by UCfan30 View Post
                  Plus the fact that Hobart didn't budge in the USCHO after UC beat them...that poll is too generous and snubs teams all at the same time. I'd say after beating ranked teams in back to back weekends deserves something, at least the D3hockey poll is a bit nicer to UC Hope they can keep it rolling, finally some good, hard-fought games being played the last 2 weeks. That's what the ECAC West is all about.
                  Thankfully, those two meaningless beauty-contests carry no weight. For the past few years, the selection committee's field has mirrored the KRACH, and good for them that apparently are using either that -or some similar metric- as a guide.

Having said that, UC still has a hill to climb; they probably have to leap-frog Williams and Babson anyway, and it wouldn't hurt if Geneseo and/or Endicott dropped like stones.

An NCAA berth is still a distinct possibility, though. UC just has to keep standing on the gas.
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-06-2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    Thankfully, those two meaningless beauty-contests carry no weight. For the past few years, the selection committee's field has mirrored the KRACH, and good for them that apparently are using either that -or some similar metric- as a guide.
                    Seriously ?? STILL ??

#NOTMYSELECTONCOMMITTEE
                    Remy Babineaux
                    remyb616@gmail.com
                    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                      Seriously ?? STILL ??

#NOTMYSELECTONCOMMITTEE
                      OK, I'll bite...

Champs, I didn't say that the SC has been using the KRACH to select the AL bids, what I said was they were apparently using that, or a "similar metric", since the AL bids have been awarded so closely in accordance with the the KRACH rankings over these past few years.

(And, I'm all for it... Sure beats the days when the selections were often both inscrutable and inexplicable.)
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-07-2017, 05:00 PM.

Comment

OK, I'll bite...

Champs, I didn't say that the SC has been using the KRACH to select the AL bids, what I said was they were apparently using that or a "similar metric", since the AL bids have been awarded so closely in accordance with the the KRACH rankings over these past few years.

(And, I'm all for it... Sure beats the days when the selections were often both inscrutable and inexplicable.)

But Fish its plain and simple how they are chosen. You're the one that keeps thinking they pull teams out of a hat. The criteria is black and white. The only difference is if two teams are tied, which do they weigh more...which more times than not comes down to the SoS. I will say it again, last year Plymouth State would have been close to being selected as at large had it gone by KRACH. You would have flipped a lid. It's a cool conversation piece, but trying to tie KRACH with the Tournament Selection just makes it more confusing for those actually wanting to learn HOW and WHY teams are selected.

But at least it's closer to those who still think teams are picked from the USCHO/D3 poll like they mean something.... I guess its progress...
                        Last edited by PSUChamps2001; 02-07-2017, 05:06 PM.
                        Remy Babineaux
                        remyb616@gmail.com
                        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Going to offer up some quick thoughts here.... Seeing as i've made my triumphant return. First post since.... last March.
                          1. While this team continually wins on the margins, they've got something going here. Would be nice to see them convert this into a couple of dominant no-doubters, but if playing close to the vest is going to win them games, not a problem. That Manhattanville game, as it was last year in the conference semis, was the team's biggest win of the season up to this point without doubt IMO. They might not be as GOOD as Hobart, but to gut out an OTW in that barn ain't easy. Do it there, and you can do it anywhere.
                          2. Take stock in some of these wins here of who's scoring the goals. Game has been simplified greatly after the Naz loss and the guys that play that game, are the ones doing a lot of the work here. And it's picked everyone up. Love watching Roman and Bush go to work... but for awhile that line was missing the right mix after a great start with A-Rob. Enter Derlago. Positionally he's outstanding, he's skated well enough(and by no means is he all that fast) to provide adequate support for those guys, and he's a typical Manitoba kid. Pain to get rid of at the net front. He's taken a bit more time to get going in his career, but he's honestly Brent Wold 2.0. Riley Egan got the two in Reg against the Ville... and then Fitzy, who plays one of the better grease games i've seen on a rookie fwd here in quite some time,
                          3. Other big keys to that win on Saturday.... PK clears got infinitely better from Friday to Saturday (not easy to do on a Hobart team that forechecks the daylights out of you and constantly plays a high pressure O-Zone game), there was a lot more purpose there than there was Friday with the shot blocking, they did a nice job jamming the backdoor looks Hobart likes to pull off.... just an outstanding job and a well earned 5/5. Same with our backcheck, which got better as things went along I thought.... not easy to do against this team, either. Dalton has stepped up his game back there, and as impressive as that GWG one-timer was on Friday(called for it the whole stinking time and drilled it off the one touch. Beauty if you didn't see it. Missile.), his most impressive play of the weekend was busting up that shorthanded rush that preceded Utica's first goal. Was on ice for the first two Hob goals... and one goes in odd-man after a preceding rebound at the other end, and then the second one just looked like it was whipped there and bounced off Toupal. Hobart loves that stuff. But you get that recovery by Dalton and when Roman scored.... I thought the roof was going to come off the place. I really did. Draws a hooking call on Haskell to boot, they go back and Fitzy gets that floater goal peeling out of the corner. His kind of play... and one just as good in the third to set up Lynch's game-winner. Brought them to the bank on the forecheck, and Lynch turned it into cash.
                          3. It's Virtanen's net now. Rebound control still has some ways to go, but I think we see Pat unless he royally messes up down the stretch. He's been good enough.

Chemistry is getting there, locker room is getting its' swagger back, and going to the rink... is a lot more fun. Prior to the Potsdam game I just got this vibe like... "Tonight this year is either going to turn around, or it's going to melt away because they're running out of bullets in the gun here." Safe to say they picked up some more ammo in Herkimer before that one and sat in a treestand for a bit before using it...... If i'm Steveo or LebVal, i'm excited and frightened at the same time because the sleeping giant is awake.

That all said, I was very impressed with Hobart. Mark's done an outstanding job with that group up front this year, as things have stayed relatively dynamic with a pretty different group being counted on up front. Guy comes up with some great recruiting pulls year after year and has been superb at bringing that talent along.
                          Last edited by vcxc3200; 02-08-2017, 09:52 AM.
                          Our bite is worse than our bark....
                          Top guys, out.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                            But Fish its plain and simple how they are chosen. You're the one that keeps thinking they pull teams out of a hat. The criteria is black and white. The only difference is if two teams are tied, which do they weigh more...which more times than not comes down to the SoS. I will say it again, last year Plymouth State would have been close to being selected as at large had it gone by KRACH. You would have flipped a lid. It's a cool conversation piece, but trying to tie KRACH with the Tournament Selection just makes it more confusing for those actually wanting to learn HOW and WHY teams are selected.

But at least it's closer to those who still think teams are picked from the USCHO/D3 poll like they mean something.... I guess its progress...
                            IRRC -and I possibly don't- Plymouth wasn't within a mile of a bid via the KRACH last year, or in any other year in recent memory.

And the Pool C bids are anything but black and white, that's a fact. The only bids that are set in stone are the AQs, period.

The SC has done a good job recently, IMO. Nothing was pulled out of a hat. It all was very congruent with the KRACH, whether by design or by coincidence.
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-08-2017, 07:04 PM.

Comment

IRCC -and I possibly don't- Plymouth wasn't within a mile of a bid via the KRACH last year, or in any other year in recent memory.

And the Pool C bids are anything but black and white, that's a fact. The only bids that are set in stone are the AQs, period.

The SC has done a good job recently, IMO. Nothing was pulled out of a hat. It all was very congruent with the KRACH, whether by design or by coincidence.
                              They were. Look back in the threads. Taking out all the AQs above and then Pool Cs, they were next in line for Pool C using your KRACH....I callled you out on it....

And if you took the 5 minutes to understand the rules and apply them to the teams selected, you would see its black and white. Exactly why Plattsburgh wasn't selected (but would have been by your KRACH system)
                              Remy Babineaux
                              remyb616@gmail.com
                              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by vcxc3200 View Post
                                Going to offer up some quick thoughts here.... Seeing as i've made my triumphant return. First post since.... last March.
                                1. While this team continually wins on the margins, they've got something going here. Would be nice to see them convert this into a couple of dominant no-doubters, but if playing close to the vest is going to win them games, not a problem. That Manhattanville game, as it was last year in the conference semis, was the team's biggest win of the season up to this point without doubt IMO. They might not be as GOOD as Hobart, but to gut out an OTW in that barn ain't easy. Do it there, and you can do it anywhere.
                                2. Take stock in some of these wins here of who's scoring the goals. Game has been simplified greatly after the Naz loss and the guys that play that game, are the ones doing a lot of the work here. And it's picked everyone up. Love watching Roman and Bush go to work... but for awhile that line was missing the right mix after a great start with A-Rob. Enter Derlago. Positionally he's outstanding, he's skated well enough(and by no means is he all that fast) to provide adequate support for those guys, and he's a typical Manitoba kid. Pain to get rid of at the net front. He's taken a bit more time to get going in his career, but he's honestly Brent Wold 2.0. Riley Egan got the two in Reg against the Ville... and then Fitzy, who plays one of the better grease games i've seen on a rookie fwd here in quite some time,
                                3. Other big keys to that win on Saturday.... PK clears got infinitely better from Friday to Saturday (not easy to do on a Hobart team that forechecks the daylights out of you and constantly plays a high pressure O-Zone game), there was a lot more purpose there than there was Friday with the shot blocking, they did a nice job jamming the backdoor looks Hobart likes to pull off.... just an outstanding job and a well earned 5/5. Same with our backcheck, which got better as things went along I thought.... not easy to do against this team, either. Dalton has stepped up his game back there, and as impressive as that GWG one-timer was on Friday(called for it the whole stinking time and drilled it off the one touch. Beauty if you didn't see it. Missile.), his most impressive play of the weekend was busting up that shorthanded rush that preceded Utica's first goal. Was on ice for the first two Hob goals... and one goes in odd-man after a preceding rebound at the other end, and then the second one just looked like it was whipped there and bounced off Toupal. Hobart loves that stuff. But you get that recovery by Dalton and when Roman scored.... I thought the roof was going to come off the place. I really did. Draws a hooking call on Haskell to boot, they go back and Fitzy gets that floater goal peeling out of the corner. His kind of play... and one just as good in the third to set up Lynch's game-winner. Brought them to the bank on the forecheck, and Lynch turned it into cash.
                                3. It's Virtanen's net now. Rebound control still has some ways to go, but I think we see Pat unless he royally messes up down the stretch. He's been good enough.

Chemistry is getting there, locker room is getting its' swagger back, and going to the rink... is a lot more fun. Prior to the Potsdam game I just got this vibe like... "Tonight this year is either going to turn around, or it's going to melt away because they're running out of bullets in the gun here." Safe to say they picked up some more ammo in Herkimer before that one and sat in a treestand for a bit before using it...... If i'm Steveo or LebVal, i'm excited and frightened at the same time because the sleeping giant is awake.

That all said, I was very impressed with Hobart. Mark's done an outstanding job with that group up front this year, as things have stayed relatively dynamic with a pretty different group being counted on up front. Guy comes up with some great recruiting pulls year after year and has been superb at bringing that talent along.
                                Could not agree more. And the simplification of the approach is your best point. Heenan needs to keep coaching basic hockey. Mid-season, he had his team losing to inferior competition due to his unnecessary tinkering. It might not be too late to make up that lost ground (or maybe it is) but UC's only chance is to keep-up the balls-out approach and let their athleticism dictate future outcomes.

Comment

Working...
                                X