Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utica College 2016/2017

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
    Great to hear! What year is his favorite?
    2016 because of the way the play-by-play guy exclaims "and here come the bears!" He's also partial to the penalty shot goal that caused the 2015 avalanche!
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      Unless the MAC forms, the UCHC is in good shape to have the autobid in 2018-19.

As of right now the UCHC looks like this in 2018-19:

Neumann
      Elmira
      Utica
      Hobart
      Nazareth
      Chatham

MAC Teams:
      Manhattanville
      Lebanon Valley
      Wilkes
      Kings
      Stevenson

So for the UCHC to lose the autobid for 2018-19, they would have to lose five four teams. I don't see the MAC teams leaving unless they have one or two others schools for an autobid. Technically they could take Neumann and Chatham as Associate members for their seven.
      Things change fast in the world of athletic alliances. It seems odd for Hobart to be in the "New England" Hockey Conference, but that's what's happening. Don't count your RITs until they hatch.
      Last edited by NUProf; 01-24-2017, 07:53 PM.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

All this conference stuff is making my head spin haha. Couldn't even stomach that Naz game on Friday, I stopped watching, which is rare for me. I usually watch until the end no matter what, but that was just mind boggling. Seems to be the trend lately eh? Potsdam game started slow but I feel that the 2nd half of the 2nd period and the 3rd period were the best they've played in a while. Good to see Derlago getting some good goals, can use any help we can get scoring wise. Noticed a few lineup changes on Saturday which is good, can't be afraid to shake things up. Good to see Bartell and Schultz back on the ice, been too long for both of them. I may be partial to Bartell for being a hometown kid haha. And as far as the coaching goes, I'm waiting to see how the end of the year goes. Toss up either way in my opinion, college can't be afraid to make moves if they have to. Team before ego, enough said.
        Utica Pioneers Hockey
        2012-13 Frozen Four Semi-Finalist
        2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 UCHC Regular Season Champs
        2017-18 UCHC Tournament Champions
        2019-20 UCHC Tournament Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          Neumann
          Elmira
          Utica
          Nazareth
          Chatham

MAC Teams:
          Manhattanville
          Lebanon Valley
          Wilkes
          Kings
          Stevenson
          One of these teams will be getting the auto bid.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I certainly have no idea as to what extent the possibility of getting a conference AQ figures-into all this apparent gerrymandering, but I'm inclined to consider that motive as a significant factor.

Let's do some fair redistricting... Forget about conference-affiliations, and select the NCAA field on the basis of statistical merit alone. AQ's -which ignore the RS and are gained solely on the basis of the silly weekend tournament "championships"- tend to drive the bus away from equity.
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-25-2017, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              I certainly have no idea as to what extent the possibility of getting a conference AQ figures-into all this apparent gerrymandering, but I'm inclined to consider that motive as a significant factor.

Let's do some fair redistricting... Forget about conference-affiliations, and select the NCAA field on the basis of statistical merit alone. AQ's -which ignore the RS and are gained solely on the basis of the silly weekend tournament "championships"- tend to drive the bus away from equity.
              How many times do you have to be told that the hockey tournament is seeded and populated according the same rules the NCAA uses for every other sport. Your proposal can't work because the NCAA does not allow different sports to use different procedures.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                How many times do you have to be told that the hockey tournament is seeded and populated according the same rules the NCAA uses for every other sport. Your proposal can't work because the NCAA does not allow different sports to use different procedures.
                And how many times do you need to consider that none of that dogma carries any intrinsic weight, or is somehow immutable..? I suppose you're a fan of the Electoral College, too?

A dumb convention has no merit simply on the basis of its longevity. End of story.
                Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-25-2017, 08:57 PM.

Comment

And how many times do you need to consider that none of that dogma carries any intrinsic weight, or is somehow immutable..? I suppose you're a fan of the Electoral College, too?

A dumb convention has no merit simply on the basis of its longevity. End of story.
                  The point is that the NCAA would have to approve a change, and that won't happen. Since it's the NCAA's party, they get to plan it no matter how much we dislike it. A more likely change would be to make the selection process for the at large bids transparent and consistent from year to year. Then teams would know where they stood instead of being surprised by the outcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                    The point is that the NCAA would have to approve a change, and that won't happen. Since it's the NCAA's party, they get to plan it no matter how much we dislike it. A more likely change would be to make the selection process for the at large bids transparent and consistent from year to year. Then teams would know where they stood instead of being surprised by the outcome.
                    But teams being surprised creates suspense that drives people to watch the terribly-produced reveal shows they broadcast!
                    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                      But teams being surprised creates suspense that drives people to watch the terribly-produced reveal shows they broadcast!
                      +1

Comment

I have to admit that the AL bids have been pretty well-awarded over the past few years... IIRC, they have mirrored the KRACH, and that works for me.

Comment

I have to admit that the AL bids have been pretty well-awarded over the past few years... IIRC, they have mirrored the KRACH, and that works for me.
                          I have doubts about the Bradley-Terry metric (which is what it should be called - this guy "Ken" stole it and named it after himself), but be that as it may, teams should have knowledge going into the playoffs what the committee is going to do ahead of time. The metric shouldn't be fungible. According to the D3 handbook, the weights are whatever the committee want them to be. A process should be transparent. If that's what they want to use, fine - tell everybody ahead of time.
                          Last edited by NUProf; 01-26-2017, 09:54 PM.

Comment

I have doubts about the Bradley-Terry metric (which is what it should be called - this guy "Ken" stole it and named it after himself), but be that as it may, teams should have knowledge going into the playoffs what the committee is going to do ahead of time. The metric shouldn't be fungible. According to the D3 handbook, the weights are whatever the committee want them to be. A process should be transparent. If that's what they want to use, fine - tell everybody ahead of time.
                            Couldn't agree more with the general tone of your post, but...

No statistical model is perfect -the KRACH/BTM included- yet it's certainly transparent in its methodology. (In contrast, I seem to recall a dubious construct that I used to see on d-3.com that was hopelessly opaque.)

Until I see something better, I'm on board with using the KRACH as a unofficial guide to selecting the AL bids, which *seems* to be happening.
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-27-2017, 11:18 AM.

Comment

(Utica 5, Neumann 4.)

The stream was a bit fuzzy, but it was free , and the game was a dog-fight. Very entertaining.

Possibly a key win for UC. Virtanen's numbers probably don't reflect how well he played. He staved-off a frenzied onslaught by NC in the early 3rd, and that was absolutely the ball game. And, for the most part, Heenan had his forwards playing to win tonight.

It'll take a near-perfect set of results from here on out to elevate Utica to within a shout of an NCAA bid, but this was a start. At least a point at M'ville tomorrow, win the other not-so-daunting road games after that, and upset Hobart at The Aud..?

Could happen!

PS: Another big road win at M'ville followed the above. Utica is making it a little more interesting...
                              Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-29-2017, 10:15 PM.

Comment

I haven't seen them play yet this year, might want to come over to see Hobart. Will it be sold out, can I walk up and get in at gametime ?
                                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Working...
                                X