Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 306

Thread: Utica College 2016/2017

  1. #281
    THE CLEANER
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    447

    Re: Utica College 2016/2017

    Quote Originally Posted by UCfan30 View Post
    Heartbreaker for sure, heck of a season though. They have a ton to be proud of this year and I'm already looking forward to next year. This team is pretty solid, Virtanen is for sure the real deal. Kid impressed a lot of people this year, myself included, especially with 40 saves on Saturday. Future is looking good for him and the rest of the team. We only lose 4 guys to graduation, and I'm assuming that due to his injury a few years ago, Bushinski has 1 year left of eligibility, he would've been a senior this year. Have to wait and see about any more recruits and whatnot over the off-season, but only a few things to tweak IMO for next year.
    I can confirm Mik has played his last game at Utica. Would have came back... then he applied to grad school and got back outstanding offers he couldn't pass on. I won't say where, but you'll learn soon enough.
    Our bite is worse than our bark....
    Top guys, out.

  2. #282
    THE CLEANER
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    447

    Re: Utica College 2016/2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Trev View Post
    It's tough when Mark Taylor is one of the best coaches in D3... He runs the Hobart program much like a D1 program. I wonder if Heenan needs to adjust things going forward. He's a good coach too. Total goaltender duel today- Virtanen and Oplinger were both lights out
    Mark gets great transfer help and is an ace at working that market.... it's pretty much a given that Hobart will always come back stronger than anyone thinks they will when they lose a lot of talent because he's so good at that, and is a superb tactician... He was great on that front on Saturday. That backcheck was stifling.

    Utica may also have sang a different tune, and of course it's all what-if at this point because Hobart played a simply superb road game..... (Shot blocking, good percentage puck possession game, net presence, and willingness to shoot the puck). if Virtanen had gotten a good feel for the puck before that early one. It's tough to have that pad rebound happen on the first shot, get burned on it, and recover, and I give Pat all the credit in the world for how he battled back in that spot, but I think he doesn't give that one up on the fourth or fifth shot. Oplinger had the game he needed to have for 'Bart, and that was more than enough. All-in-all, goaltending for the majority was pretty solid, and maybe the best i've seen in this matchup since Therrien and Broadwater duked it out on SB Sunday 2013. Neal, Shaw, and Belizario were their typical selves, just complete warhorses one-on-one, and I really like Borsoi to explode for a huge point total next season at the rate he's progressing for Utica.

    Hobart's going to have one hell of a run this postseason, I do forsee they'll be in Utica....

    Next year, and for the next few years, this matchup's course will be defined by depth on the blue line. Hobart's old back there now and will lose a lot... Utica desperately needs to shore up their depth and have six healthy guys... You have....

    Bors-Stefan
    Carter-Szajner

    That's a group of four i'm comfortable with. The kid they just committed from the OJ is a brick house. Huge kid. Forward and goaltending they're going to be fine, Ammirato's back, they need to find someone fast enough to play the wing with him opposite Justin, but that should be easy enough. There's enough back on the roster to ensure a progression.... but they need two-three more legitimate D. You can play Schultz or Grose, or Bart as a spare.... but none of those three are what i'd call "every day guys". The OJ kid should help there, he'll kind of be replacement Kirisits I suppose.

    I think they go as far as their D Zone depth takes them next year. For now, it's the Hobart show again.
    Last edited by vcxc3200; 03-08-2017 at 03:56 PM.
    Our bite is worse than our bark....
    Top guys, out.

  3. #283
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    539

    Re: Utica College 2016/2017

    Quote Originally Posted by vcxc3200 View Post
    Next year, and for the next few years, this matchup's course will be defined by depth on the blue line.
    Agreed, IF they continue to schedule each other.

  4. #284
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,333

    Re: Utica College 2016/2017

    Quote Originally Posted by vcxc3200 View Post
    Mark gets great transfer help and is an ace at working that market.... it's pretty much a given that Hobart will always come back stronger than anyone thinks they will when they lose a lot of talent because he's so good at that, and is a superb tactician... He was great on that front on Saturday. That backcheck was stifling.

    Utica may also have sang a different tune, and of course it's all what-if at this point because Hobart played a simply superb road game..... (Shot blocking, good percentage puck possession game, net presence, and willingness to shoot the puck). if Virtanen had gotten a good feel for the puck before that early one. It's tough to have that pad rebound happen on the first shot, get burned on it, and recover, and I give Pat all the credit in the world for how he battled back in that spot, but I think he doesn't give that one up on the fourth or fifth shot. Oplinger had the game he needed to have for 'Bart, and that was more than enough. All-in-all, goaltending for the majority was pretty solid, and maybe the best i've seen in this matchup since Therrien and Broadwater duked it out on SB Sunday 2013. Neal, Shaw, and Belizario were their typical selves, just complete warhorses one-on-one, and I really like Borsoi to explode for a huge point total next season at the rate he's progressing for Utica.

    Hobart's going to have one hell of a run this postseason, I do forsee they'll be in Utica....

    Next year, and for the next few years, this matchup's course will be defined by depth on the blue line. Hobart's old back there now and will lose a lot... Utica desperately needs to shore up their depth and have six healthy guys... You have....

    Bors-Stefan
    Carter-Szajner

    That's a group of four i'm comfortable with. The kid they just committed from the OJ is a brick house. Huge kid. Forward and goaltending they're going to be fine, Ammirato's back, they need to find someone fast enough to play the wing with him opposite Justin, but that should be easy enough. There's enough back on the roster to ensure a progression.... but they need two-three more legitimate D. You can play Schultz or Grose, or Bart as a spare.... but none of those three are what i'd call "every day guys". The OJ kid should help there, he'll kind of be replacement Kirisits I suppose.

    I think they go as far as their D Zone depth takes them next year. For now, it's the Hobart show again.
    Nice wrap-up.

    Sure, Taylor always out-recruits and out-coaches Heenan. Can you imagine what he'd have accomplished if he'd had the resources Heenan has had for the past 16 years?

    Going forward, UC returns 6 of its top scorers, and an exceptional 'tender. Bushinski and Boby are going to be missed, but not too badly. As you say, shoring-up the D needs to be the only real priority. If possible, I'd like to see Carter moved to center; he's been a consistent liability on D.

    Still a bit sad about this past weekend. Watched two OT heartbreakers, either of which -had one or the other gone Utica's way- would have likely resulted in a berth. Having said that, it was the mid-season slump that set the table; Heenan trying to fix what wasn't broken, as per usual. Given that typical occurrence, I wouldn't have predicted UC winning their way into the FF, anyway.

    I didn't scurry down to The Aud on Monday for tickets, but I'll walk up if Hobart and/or Hamilton makes the FF. I hope that tickets sell briskly; it's a great fit to have Utica hosting, at least for the Eastern teams.

  5. #285
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,333

    Re: Utica College 2016/2017

    Quote Originally Posted by jcase View Post
    Agreed, IF they continue to schedule each other.
    Heenan is on-record saying that there's no plan to do so...

  6. #286
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    27

    Re: Utica College 2016/2017

    Quote Originally Posted by vcxc3200 View Post
    Next year, and for the next few years, this matchup's course will be defined by depth on the blue line. Hobart's old back there now and will lose a lot... Utica desperately needs to shore up their depth and have six healthy guys... You have....

    Bors-Stefan
    Carter-Szajner

    That's a group of four i'm comfortable with. The kid they just committed from the OJ is a brick house. Huge kid. Forward and goaltending they're going to be fine, Ammirato's back, they need to find someone fast enough to play the wing with him opposite Justin, but that should be easy enough. There's enough back on the roster to ensure a progression.... but they need two-three more legitimate D. You can play Schultz or Grose, or Bart as a spare.... but none of those three are what i'd call "every day guys". The OJ kid should help there, he'll kind of be replacement Kirisits I suppose.

    I think they go as far as their D Zone depth takes them next year. For now, it's the Hobart show again.
    Bartell isn't a defenseman, at least not listed as one. I think they dressed him a few nights and Schultz one night to have enough players. Both guys really only saw a shift or 2 of ice time, I noticed guys were getting double shifted a lot the last few games. Going forward, I expect the defense to be solid, the few games Grose played he was pretty good. If Borsoi can play like he did the last 2 games, between him and Carter, I expect some good scoring chances from our defense.

  7. #287
    THE CLEANER
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    447

    Re: Utica College 2016/2017

    Quote Originally Posted by UCfan30 View Post
    Bartell isn't a defenseman, at least not listed as one. I think they dressed him a few nights and Schultz one night to have enough players. Both guys really only saw a shift or 2 of ice time, I noticed guys were getting double shifted a lot the last few games. Going forward, I expect the defense to be solid, the few games Grose played he was pretty good. If Borsoi can play like he did the last 2 games, between him and Carter, I expect some good scoring chances from our defense.
    Bart played a bit of that in Juniors, but yeah, him, Schultzy, and Grose are kind of in-and-out ice time guys at this juncture, honestly. They'll put Max where they have to and let him run, he plays the game the right way for a bruising type, he really does. Grose is a bit of a project player but still gave them a couple of solid games at midyear. On D, provided that depth gets shored up a bit more (Wait until you see this new kid), you're going to see more of the same in terms of offensive presence, so you're absolutely right on that front. Borsoi, Carter, Szajner, and Stefan are going to pretty much have the green light to release and activate at will, and that's a pretty good veteran group to be able to do that with. Bors and Vinny are both coming off the best offensive years of their career.

    Oh, as for the new kid, get a look at this....
    http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=299258
    Our bite is worse than our bark....
    Top guys, out.

  8. #288
    QU PC BC and Hobart fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Madison, Connecticut
    Posts
    31

    Re: Utica College 2016/2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Heenan is on-record saying that there's no plan to do so...
    That would be very much a shame if they don't at least play once a year!
    Hobart Statesmen
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    Boston College Eagles
    Providence College Friars

    #EasternBias is the only way

    Joe Gravellese is Jesuit Jesus

    Jack O'Callahan: "You know what Coxy let me ask you a question. Why'd you wanna play college hockey?"
    Cox: "Isn't it obvious? For the girls."

  9. #289
    THE CLEANER
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    447

    Re: Utica College 2016/2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Heenan is on-record saying that there's no plan to do so...
    Oh I know.... i'm the one who asked that question and got it on record and then completely forgot it here because well, i'm not used to this whole not having Hobart in the conference thing (And i'm stuck in NCAA tournament land at the moment, enjoying that for all it's worth), but I don't think anyone is used to this yet. Just like i'll probably accidentally call it the ECAC West a few times come November. Like a kid coming back and writing the previous year on his papers after christmas break, I have old habits and they're definitely going to die hard here, may as well start my mental cleanse now haha.

    Anyway, they'll iron something out eventually, I have a feeling they will. It's a good SOS game for both, good overall criteria game, and on travel it's a solid drive to decently visiting team friendly facilities as far as logistical things like locker rooms, postgame meals, etc. go. Even if they book something once per year, I eventually see it happening. Short term schedule commitments can make it tough to do something of that nature right away..... but as those open up, I suspect something will be worked out.
    Our bite is worse than our bark....
    Top guys, out.

  10. #290
    Its a Great Day for Hockey!
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    4,860

    Re: Utica College 2016/2017

    To all the fine uscho posters who have made the trip to Utica: Welcome!

    Hope to see some of you at the games!
    2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
    2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
    2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
    2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game
    2009 D-III TOP runner-up
    Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
    1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

  11. #291
    Nate LePage, Siena '13 CARDS_rule_the_Burgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Posts
    3,827
    Quote Originally Posted by UCBadger View Post
    To all the fine uscho posters who have made the trip to Utica: Welcome!

    Hope to see some of you at the games!
    I'm here. You'll find me standing along the wall in one of the upper sections wearing a red jacket over a black DIII Women's Hockey Championships hoodie

  12. #292
    Its a Great Day for Hockey!
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    4,860

    Re: Utica College 2016/2017

    Stuck in office hours right now. Hope to be there soon!
    2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
    2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
    2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
    2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game
    2009 D-III TOP runner-up
    Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
    1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

  13. #293
    THE CLEANER
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by vcxc3200 View Post
    I can confirm Mik has played his last game at Utica. Would have came back... then he applied to grad school and got back outstanding offers he couldn't pass on. I won't say where, but you'll learn soon enough.
    He will be back after all. Change of plans. Got a one year deferral. Will be attending Yale Law after the upcoming season after a grad year at Utica.... as a co captain.

  14. #294
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,333

    Re: Utica College 2016/2017

    Congratulations to Ray Biggs on his new gig as UCHC SID -yes, my bold - but he'll be sorely missed by the hardcore Utica fanbase here. Ray is a D-3 maven who provided us with many an insightful nugget, and was the best analyst ESPN-UR has ever had by a country mile. I'm hopeful that he had a hand in selecting his replacement...

  15. #295
    Nate LePage, Siena '13 CARDS_rule_the_Burgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Posts
    3,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Congratulations to Ray Biggs on his new gig as UCHC SID -yes, my bold - but he'll be sorely missed by the hardcore Utica fanbase here. Ray is a D-3 maven who provided us with many an insightful nugget, and was the best analyst ESPN-UR has ever had by a country mile. I'm hopeful that he had a hand in selecting his replacement...
    Biggsy stated on twitter the day after the announcement that he intended to continue all of his current roles, and this new gig will just be a new responsibility piled on top.

  16. #296
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,333

    Re: Utica College 2016/2017

    Well that's good news! Thanks.

  17. #297
    THE CLEANER
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    447

    Re: Utica College 2016/2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Well that's good news! Thanks.
    Happy to give ya the good news!
    Our bite is worse than our bark....
    Top guys, out.

  18. #298
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    3

    Re: Utica College 2016/2017

    D1 transfer
    To Utica from Colorado College Gregg Burmaster local kid from Clinton.

  19. #299
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    out of NYC and up to Orange County
    Posts
    5,036

    Re: Utica College 2016/2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyguy1424 View Post
    D1 transfer
    To Utica from Colorado College Gregg Burmaster local kid from Clinton.
    looks like another good D1 prospect.

  20. #300
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    15,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyguy1424 View Post
    D1 transfer
    To Utica from Colorado College Gregg Burmaster local kid from Clinton.
    Related to Gil?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •