Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 1001

Thread: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

  1. #121
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    28,813

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    The trailer for Cruise's Mummy looks awful, as does Kong: Skull Island. I will say the latter looks beautiful and the cast is intriguing, but the monster island story line does nothing for me.

  2. #122
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,809

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    The trailer for Cruise's Mummy looks awful, as does Kong: Skull Island. I will say the latter looks beautiful and the cast is intriguing, but the monster island story line does nothing for me.
    Heard the same about Mummy. Have not heard about Kong.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  3. #123
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    61,869

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    I'm looking forward to The Mummy.
    Spiderman Homecoming trailer looks good.
    Guardians of the Galaxy II looks fantastic.

    I want to see Nocturnal Animals and Miss Sloane this weekend. Still haven't seen Fantastic Beasts yet. Maybe I'll hit 3 in one weekend.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  4. #124
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    28,612

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Fantastic Beasts is fun, more fun the Harry Potter movies, I'd say. The other two movies are entirely unknown to me, never seen a commercial even.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  5. #125

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Fantastic Beasts is fun, more fun the Harry Potter movies, I'd say. The other two movies are entirely unknown to me, never seen a commercial even.
    Agreed. While I love all things Potter, I really enjoyed Fantastic Beasts more than most of the HP movies.
    I do think Eddie Redmayne is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

  6. #126
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    28,813

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    The trailer for Spider-Man:Homecoming looks very promising. Love Michael Keaton in a bad guy role, Marisa Tomei, I guess more IM is a good thing? Talk about a cash cow for RDJ.

  7. #127

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    49,041

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Manchester by the Sea. A+. At least 4 Oscar-worthy acting performances, plus the director. I cannot recommend this enough.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  8. #128
    Not Deplorable FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    24,040

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Manchester by the Sea. A+. At least 4 Oscar-worthy acting performances, plus the director. I cannot recommend this enough.
    Matt Damon helped produce a movie about a Boston-area janitor? Say it ain't so.

    Appears to be playing in the art-house theaters around here, which means at least a 15-mile drive for me. Maybe next weekend, when it isn't snowing.

    EDIT: On second thought, I'll have to try and hit it during the week. It won't be at either theater next weekend...
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 12-11-2016 at 12:15 AM.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  9. #129

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    49,041

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Matt Damon helped produce a movie about a Boston-area janitor? Say it ain't so.

    Appears to be playing in the art-house theaters around here, which means at least a 15-mile drive for me. Maybe next weekend, when it isn't snowing.

    EDIT: On second thought, I'll have to try and hit it during the week. It won't be at either theater next weekend...
    It played a first run mainstream theater here.

    Here's the thing. I hate, in order of horror, (1) Mas-sholes, (2) Movies about Mas-sholes, (3) Actors and directors who make movies about Mas-sholes. This movie involves, on paper, all those things. But I still think it's a great movie -- quality level of theater rather than screen. When the Great Douc-hebag Plague of 2033 wipes out every person within the triangle formed by Portsmouth, NH --> Falmouth, MA --> Hartford, CT, we will burn every movie reference to Boston except for this movie and pretend there was something worth saving in the place.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  10. #130

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    29,209

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Mindless entertainment is back!!

    @FastFurious: Family will be broken. Watch THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS trailer now. #F8 is in theaters April 14. https://twitter.com/FastFurious/stat...067648/video/1

  11. #131

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    I actually really like Casey Affleck, so I'm looking forward to Manchester By the Sea.

  12. #132
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    28,612

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Mindless entertainment is back!!

    @FastFurious: Family will be broken. Watch THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS trailer now. #F8 is in theaters April 14. https://twitter.com/FastFurious/stat...067648/video/1
    I need to make up a sign: Stop the Diesel Engine Now!
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  13. #133
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,809

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Yoga Hosers:

    Kevin Smith movie, so figured I'd give it a shot. About 2 HS girls who get invited to a senior party, but end up fighting mutant Nazi monsters. Yes, you read that right. Bizarre movie, have a feeling you need to be really messed up drugs to really enjoy it. It had its moments, but meh. Apparantly the second part of a trilogy.


    Lucky Number Slevin:

    Twisty turny hot mess of a movie that somehow ends up working. Reminded me a bit of Burn After Reading, in that you won't like the movie until all the ends are tied up. Then you look back and at least kind of like it.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  14. #134
    Five Thousand Candles in the Wind!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    32,248

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Yoga Hosers is set in the same universe as another movie he made...Tusk. Also one of the stars is his daughter Harley.

    If you ever listen to him talk about these movies you might understand them a bit more. He made Tusk as sort of an open source project on film making. He was done with making movies and focusing more of public speaking and his podcasts but people would email him asking how to develop scripts and how to make movies independently so he randomly came up with an idea and built Tusk from there. Yoga Hosers came next. These movies got him back into wanting to make movies again. (he was done...especially after the way Bruce Willis treated him when they made a movie) Hell he did an entire podcast reading all the negative reviews of the movie he cares so little about it
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  15. #135
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,809

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Yoga Hosers is set in the same universe as another movie he made...Tusk. Also one of the stars is his daughter Harley.

    If you ever listen to him talk about these movies you might understand them a bit more. He made Tusk as sort of an open source project on film making. He was done with making movies and focusing more of public speaking and his podcasts but people would email him asking how to develop scripts and how to make movies independently so he randomly came up with an idea and built Tusk from there. Yoga Hosers came next. These movies got him back into wanting to make movies again. (he was done...especially after the way Bruce Willis treated him when they made a movie) Hell he did an entire podcast reading all the negative reviews of the movie he cares so little about it
    Yeah, I IMDB'd the movie (like I always do after seeing one) and read about that. Yoga Hosers was just so bizarre, I wasn't expecting that, although I don't know what I was expecting in the first place. I might check out Tusk, for the heck of it.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  16. #136

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Lucky Number Slevin:

    Twisty turny hot mess of a movie that somehow ends up working. Reminded me a bit of Burn After Reading, in that you won't like the movie until all the ends are tied up. Then you look back and at least kind of like it.
    I liked this enough to buy it when it came out, but then I haven't opened it since. Maybe this warrants a revisit?

  17. #137
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,809

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    I liked this enough to buy it when it came out, but then I haven't opened it since. Maybe this warrants a revisit?
    Could happen. I was frustrated for the first half. I hate when there are pieces, then all of a sudden a new piece shows up out of nowhere just because PLOT TWIST!, and this had a few. However, upon the ending, I felt, "Ok, that worked." Many times, it doesn't work.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  18. #138

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    We'll see. Haven't gotten to Christmas Vacation or Scrooged yet this season. (tcbg watched Scrooged without me )

  19. #139
    Five Thousand Candles in the Wind!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    32,248

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    I hated Lucky Number Slevin...like openly flicking off the screen in the theater hated it.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  20. #140
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,809

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    I hated Lucky Number Slevin...like openly flicking off the screen in the theater hated it.
    That was most of the reviews when it first came out, IIRC. Hence why it took so long for me to see it. And it's an understandable review.

    Boyhood:
    Very creative concept (same cast, filmed over 12 years). You better like dialogue, though, because that's about all there is. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a long one, 2 hours/45 minutes. Didn't seem like it, though.


    Trash:
    3 Brazilian kids find something in the dump that is very important to a local politician. Something that people would kill for. It was pretty good. Some interesting takes on the language barrier, as some supporting characters are part of an American missionary-type organization. It's better than a time-killer, but not quite one you'd necessarily want to search out to watch as a feature.

    Serial Killer 1:
    French movie about a serial killer. Meh. Pretty much by-the-numbers cop drama. Apparently based on a true story, but frankly, the story isn't that intriguing.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •