X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    While not 100% foolproof, a good place to start is by looking at the beer's IBU rating (International Bitterness Units). My wife, who is somewhat of a beginner in the IPA league, uses it to some success, and many restaurants, bars and taprooms list it with the name of the beer and the description.
    To some extent, you're right. One exception is, I know many people whose "gateway" IPA is a very high IBU Imperial IPA, but an Imperial IPA that is very well balanced, so even though it is high IBU, it doesn't hit you in the face with the bitterness. My recommendation would be to find a well balanced IPA, regardless of IBU, to try out, because it won't be quite as aggressive. Definitely don't start with a Stone, or a Surly, or a few others that lean heavier on the hops side of the balance. I love their beers, but their IPAs aren't for everyone. Right now, there are many NE IPAs out there, that many would be a good gateway IPA, they're citrussy, juicy, and pretty well-balanced. Don't be turned off by the hazy appearance. Lastly, try to find IPAs that are fresh, if they sit a while, they deteriorate quickly, and many end up being more bitter, without the flavor.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

And I'm not really an IPA fan, but I find I like the fruitier or more citrus hop styles better than I do the more piney hops.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

While not 100% foolproof, a good place to start is by looking at the beer's IBU rating (International Bitterness Units). My wife, who is somewhat of a beginner in the IPA league, uses it to some success, and many restaurants, bars and taprooms list it with the name of the beer and the description.
        That's a good start.

Of course at the moment I'm completely banned from alcohol until I lose weight, but beer is life and life is beer, and that is ample motivation for getting it off quickly.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          PAGING BRENTHOVEN. BRENTHOVEN PLEASE REPORT TO MOVIE THREAD.
          Does this even require a page?
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            To some extent, you're right. One exception is, I know many people whose "gateway" IPA is a very high IBU Imperial IPA, but an Imperial IPA that is very well balanced, so even though it is high IBU, it doesn't hit you in the face with the bitterness. My recommendation would be to find a well balanced IPA, regardless of IBU, to try out, because it won't be quite as aggressive. Definitely don't start with a Stone, or a Surly, or a few others that lean heavier on the hops side of the balance. I love their beers, but their IPAs aren't for everyone. Right now, there are many NE IPAs out there, that many would be a good gateway IPA, they're citrussy, juicy, and pretty well-balanced. Don't be turned off by the hazy appearance. Lastly, try to find IPAs that are fresh, if they sit a while, they deteriorate quickly, and many end up being more bitter, without the flavor.
            My gateway was Surly Overrated. Which is not a mild IPA. It's an IPA-lover's IPA.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              And I'm not really an IPA fan, but I find I like the fruitier or more citrus hop styles better than I do the more piney hops.
              Descheutes Fresh Squeezed is incredible in that regard. Probably my absolute favorite IPA. Even my mom likes it and she does not like IPAs.
              Code:

Comment

I kinda like the Lagunitas what was it, L'il Something Something? Not my favorite, and I probably wouldn't go for more than one or two, but it was drinkable.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  My gateway was Surly Overrated. Which is not a mild IPA. It's an IPA-lover's IPA.
                  Yeah, thats an odd gateway.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Ballast Point Sculpin (regular version.)

But bbdl is right: Imperial IPAs or black IPAs are the way to go in my world. Odells Peach Imperial is friggin' awesome.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Let’s face it – most of us first indulged beer with Busch Light, Old Swill, Keystone….so the first time we tried (pick your favorite IPA) it was a huge shock. I started earlier than some though in making the switch. When I was 19 I worked at Tonka Bottle Shop the owner made us sample the good stuff he had on hand (including wine, scotch, etc.) because he wanted us to know what we were selling. It didn’t take long before Sam Adams was the gateway to Sierra Nevada, Stone, Goose Island, etc., etc.

My dad used to always have Pabst, Schmidt’s, Old Style, etc. in the fridge. I remember the first time I came home from college and there was instead Summit (or something like that). Turns out all those years he hid the good stuff and said he wouldn’t risk having it on hand because he knew we’d pilfer it. He did the same thing with technology. Suddenly he had a large screen TV and Bose surround system. Bastage!

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Descheutes Fresh Squeezed is incredible in that regard. Probably my absolute favorite IPA. Even my mom likes it and she does not like IPAs.
                        That is an excellent gateway IPA suggestion.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

That is an excellent gateway IPA suggestion.
                          Thanks! It really is. And it's highly available (at least around here). It's by far my go to for a hot summer day.
                          Code:

Comment

So I was reading a story and a parenthetical comment about Warcraft caught my eye.

Was Duncan Jones, the guy who did Moon, really behind the Warcraft movie? Jeebus. Talk about huge swings in a career.
                            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              Let’s face it – most of us first indulged beer with Busch Light, Old Swill, Keystone….so the first time we tried (pick your favorite IPA) it was a huge shock. I started earlier than some though in making the switch. When I was 19 I worked at Tonka Bottle Shop the owner made us sample the good stuff he had on hand (including wine, scotch, etc.) because he wanted us to know what we were selling. It didn’t take long before Sam Adams was the gateway to Sierra Nevada, Stone, Goose Island, etc., etc.

My dad used to always have Pabst, Schmidt’s, Old Style, etc. in the fridge. I remember the first time I came home from college and there was instead Summit (or something like that). Turns out all those years he hid the good stuff and said he wouldn’t risk having it on hand because he knew we’d pilfer it. He did the same thing with technology. Suddenly he had a large screen TV and Bose surround system. Bastage!
                              Pig's Eye (bottle only!). My first gateway was Blue Moon, I guess. For true craft, probably Sierra Nevada.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Anyways back to movies...
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X