X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Gonna have to see it again. I remember seeing it with a Richter 7.5 headache and, surprise, not enjoying the experience. Is Woody in that? I may be confused but my memory is it was the first time I saw Woody after "Cheers" and I thought, "whoa -- that dimwitted farmboy can act!"

Speaking of Woody: A Scanner Darkly. Book is very good but very, very Dick and impenetrable unless you've read a lot of him ("taken a lot of Dick"?) . Movie was 50x more fun and somehow just as weird.

Speaking of Dick: Bladerunner. 1000x better than the book which is the only Dick book I've ever put down unfinished. It's just not very good. In fact I think this is the archetype for movie better than the book.

Wizard of Oz kinda sucks as a book, too. (I know, heresy.)
    I don't remember Woody in that movie. To be candid, I haven't seen it since its theatrical release, and really have no desire to see it again, so it's possible he had some role.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Speaking of Woody: A Scanner Darkly. Book is very good but very, very Dick and impenetrable unless you've read a lot of him ("taken a lot of Dick"?) . Movie was 50x more fun and somehow just as weird.
      I thought that was Keanu Reeves??

...and I liked the "reveal" in the book better, I wasn't sure how the movie would be able to pull it off....

EDIT: both Harrelson and Reeves are in it.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        2001 (movie) was awful. Only surpassed by Clockwork Orange.
        We've discussed this before. I would recommend you try them again. They are, in fact, truly great movies. CO is a 9.5.

2001 is a 9.8. Casablanca is clearly better. Wizard of Oz is clearly better. Singin in the Rain is clearly better. Murnau's Nosferatu is better. Double Indemnity and Citizen Kane are virtually dead even. Bergman, Fellini and Herzog all have multiple movies that are in the ballpark. And that's about it.
        Last edited by Kepler; 02-07-2017, 08:45 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          I don't remember Woody in that movie. To be candid, I haven't seen it since its theatrical release, and really have no desire to see it again, so it's possible he had some role.
          I thought he was the lead so I'm obviously misremembering. Oh, never mind, i'm thinking of Natural Born Killers. I've never seen American Psycho and have no wish to.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            I thought that was Keanu Reeves??

...and I liked the "reveal" in the book better, I wasn't sure how the movie would be able to pull it off....

EDIT: both Harrelson and Reeves are in it.
            Yes, they're both in it and they both do a great job. I assume they were both insanely coked up during filming. You'd have to be to keep it up all day.
            Cornell University

Comment

I thought he was the lead so I'm obviously misremembering. Oh, never mind, i'm thinking of Natural Born Killers. I've never seen American Psycho and have no wish to.
              American Psycho is commentary on the 80s businessman, the mania involved with what was going on at the time. Natural Born Killers, which I've never fully seen, is supposed to be commentary on the sensationalizing of this or that in the media, IIRC.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

We've discussed this before. I would recommend you try them again. They are, in fact, truly great movies. CO is a 9.5.

2001 is a 9.8. Casablanca is clearly better. Wizard of Oz is clearly better. Singin in the Rain is clearly better. Murnau's Nosferatu is better. Double Indemnity and Citizen Kane are virtually dead even. Bergman, Fellini and Herzog all have multiple movies that are in the ballpark. And that's about it.
                Maybe on a rainy Sunday when I'm in the mood for them. The latter is key. I want to give them a fair shake.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  American Psycho is commentary on the 80s businessman, the mania involved with what was going on at the time. Natural Born Killers, which I've never fully seen, is supposed to be commentary on the sensationalizing of this or that in the media, IIRC.
                  Correct.

Christian Bale stars in American Psycho; also has Willem Dafoe, Reese Witherspoon, and Jared Leto. IMO, Bale's performance is what got him the Batman role. He can really play that dark emotionless character very well.

Both of these movies are personal favorites of mine. And the business card scene in AP is brilliant, and kind of sums up what the movie and Bale's character is all about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZVkW9p-cCU
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Maybe on a rainy Sunday when I'm in the mood for them. The latter is key. I want to give them a fair shake.
                    I think this is definitely the case. 2001 is both long and very, very slow. I'd call it "a silent movie with sound." Don't go to the opera when you're in the mood for clubbing.

Clockwork Orange on the other hand is exactly the opposite.

They might actually make a great double feature at an art cinema: 2001 for the classical buffs, then a drinking break, and then CO for the punk crowd.

It's funny, I can see not liking 2001 -- one of my undying shames is I find Seven Samurai much too slow and I get restless, and I can see 2001 hitting people like that.

But CO is not just hysterically (dark) funny but so up-tempo I just can't capture what you don't like about it. I'd say I enjoyed that movie as much as any I've ever seen. It's like a live action Fritz the Cat (the movie I enjoyed the most in a theater although part of that was probably a contact high).

Also, I find both movies have aged very well. I can see them at least once a year and I always think they're terrific. In particular CO has gotten better as I've gone from son to father and switched by perspective on the droogs from villainous heroes to heroic villains.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 02-07-2017, 12:20 PM.
                    Cornell University

Comment

I think this is definitely the case. 2001 is both long and very, very slow. I'd call it "a silent movie with sound." Don't go to the opera when you're in the mood for clubbing.

Clockwork Orange on the other had is exactly the opposite.

They might actually make a great double feature at an art cinema: 2001 for the classical buffs, then a drinking break, and then CO for the punk crowd.
                      Das Boot (the FULL version) is also along the lines of a silent movie with sound. Great movie, but you need to be in the mood for it, and have a lot of patience.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        Das Boot (the FULL version) is also along the lines of a silent movie with sound. Great movie, but you need to be in the mood for it, and have a lot of patience.
                        That's a movie that was so painful to me that I still haven't seen it again. Streamers is another one like that. Some things just cut deep, and who knows why.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Citizen Kane is one of the most boring movies I have ever seen. Such a self indulgent piece of crap. I get what all the things film geeks love about it but it was a snoozefest.

American Psycho was so bad I actually got angry at how much I hated it.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            Citizen Kane is one of the most boring movies I have ever seen. Such a self indulgent piece of crap. I get what all the things film geeks love about it but it was a snoozefest.
                            Please put this in your signature so newbies will know to ignore everything you subsequently say about movies.

The famous Welles movie that's a snoozefest is The Magnificent Ambersons. I only saw a 3-hour version, and I've heard the uncut original is twice that. I would gnaw my way out of the theater through the wall before sitting through that.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 02-07-2017, 03:46 PM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              I agree, mostly. There were a few moments that I found entertaining, such as the old man standing at a desk and retelling an old story about Mr. Kane - the old man who was the basis for the Abe Simpson tie an onion to your belt scene.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Please put this in your signature so newbies will know to ignore everything you subsequently say about movies.

The famous Welles movie that's a snoozefest is The Magnificent Ambersons. I only saw a 3-hour version, and I've heard the uncut original is twice that. I would gnaw my way out of the theater through the wall before sitting through that.
                                Hate to tell you this but newbies will be closer to me than you Bachelor-boy
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X