Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 1001

Thread: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

  1. #61
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,647

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    It's David Prowse, not Browse.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  2. #62
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,935

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    It's David Prowse, not Browse.
    I apologize for the typo. Don't burn me at the stake.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  3. #63
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,210

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Movies seen on long flights this last week and a half:

    -The Grand Budapest Hotel
    -The Darjeeling Limited
    Two of the only Wes Anderson movies I had not yet seen. I think I just have The Life Aquatic to go now. As always, it's the visuals that stand out. If nothing else, Anderson is just great at composing shots, and that keeps you going even when there isn't anything else going on.

    -Finding Dory
    It's nice, certainly entertaining and far from being Pixar's worst, but this was definitely a cash-in more than a meaningful story.

    -Now You See Me 2
    I really have no idea why some of these movies get sequels, least of all Deus Ex Machina: The Movie. That said, even in material that's clearly lacking, most of the cast is hard to not enjoy on screen, especially Daniel Radcliffe.

  4. #64
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    29,353

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    So I was stuck watching with my wife something called Hardwired with Val Kilmer and Cuba Gooding. It's amazing an actor that was part of Top Gun, Real Genius, Thunderheart, The Doors, Tombstone, The Ghost in The Darkness et al along with an AA winner from Men of Honor, Boyz in the Hood, Jerry McGuire and As Good as it Gets have to finish their careers with this schlock.

    Not trying to oversell either actor just saying.

  5. #65
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,935

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Val was pretty solid in "Kill The Irishman."

    Edit:

    Laura (1944):

    Detective falls in love with the victim of the murder he's investigating. Pretty solid whodunit, a ton of twists and turns, very good watch. Highly recommend.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  6. #66
    He fixes the cable?
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    21,984

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    How dare someone list Val Kilmer movies and omit Top Secret!

  7. #67
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,935

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post
    How dare someone list Val Kilmer movies and omit Top Secret!
    I shall spend 4 minutes in the box. It's a 4 minute, because I own that movie, and it's a classic.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  8. #68

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,016

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Laura (1944):

    Detective falls in love with the victim of the murder he's investigating. Pretty solid whodunit, a ton of twists and turns, very good watch. Highly recommend.
    Also Vincent Price with an awful southern accent.

    Great movie, agreed.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  9. #69
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,935

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Also Vincent Price with an awful southern accent.

    Great movie, agreed.
    This shows my age: I thought the writer was Vincent, as that's more of the look I remember him (maybe erroneously?) by? His later years.

    Yeah, that was a bad southern accent. Played the bumpkin fool quite nicely, though. The aunt did a superb job.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  10. #70
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,359

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Movies seen on long flights this last week and a half:

    -The Grand Budapest Hotel
    -The Darjeeling Limited
    Two of the only Wes Anderson movies I had not yet seen. I think I just have The Life Aquatic to go now. As always, it's the visuals that stand out. If nothing else, Anderson is just great at composing shots, and that keeps you going even when there isn't anything else going on.
    For reasons even I don't understand, this really is one of my favorite movies ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  11. #71
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,935

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Honestly, besides Royal Tenenbaums (BRILLIANT!), the rest of Wes' movies left me more and more disappointed. Besides the same themes over and over, they just became drier and drier and drier and blah blah blah and who the hell cares anymore.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  12. #72

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,016

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Honestly, besides Royal Tenenbaums (BRILLIANT!), the rest of Wes' movies left me more and more disappointed. Besides the same themes over and over, they just became drier and drier and drier and blah blah blah and who the hell cares anymore.
    Just realized I've never seen a Wes Anderson film. Ironic since I'm pretty sure I'm the target demo.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  13. #73
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    22,320

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    I've only seen Bottlerocket. It was awesome. Or at least I remember it being awesome back when I was in college.

  14. #74
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,935

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I've only seen Bottlerocket. It was awesome. Or at least I remember it being awesome back when I was in college.
    Forgot about that one. That one was decent.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  15. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Southie
    Posts
    1,977

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Tom Cruise "The Mummy" remake, re-imagining or whatever you want to call it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItqDnCk-zEE
    A bad cause requires many words.

  16. #76
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    29,353

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by SonofSouthie View Post
    Tom Cruise "The Mummy" remake, re-imagining or whatever you want to call it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItqDnCk-zEE
    Not sure I'd consider it a remake. Reboot maybe I guess.

  17. #77

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,016

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Not sure I'd consider it a remake. Reboot maybe I guess.
    Is there a difference? I don't mean that snarkily -- it seems to me that a reboot is just what Hollywood called a remake 30 years ago. I suppose a reboot suggests an emphasis on establishing a new franchise with sequels, but take the Mummy as a classic example -- everybody who made and remade it back in the old days was doing so in order to churn out sequels.

    I've yet to see a truly satisfying mummy, in the way that say the original Dracula and Nosferatu are a satisfying vampire. The original http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22...932_shortfilms is the closest but that's because of the cinematography and Zita Johann, not the mummy himself (sorry Boris).
    Last edited by Kepler; 12-02-2016 at 04:15 PM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  18. #78

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,016

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    This is great. If you know Airplane! verbatim (raises hand shame facedly)...
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  19. #79
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    29,353

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Is there a difference? I don't mean that snarkily -- it seems to me that a reboot is just what Hollywood called a remake 30 years ago. I suppose a reboot suggests an emphasis on establishing a new franchise with sequels, but take the Mummy as a classic example -- everybody who made and remade it back in the old days was doing so in order to churn out sequels.

    I've yet to see a truly satisfying mummy, in the way that say the original Dracula and Nosferatu are a satisfying vampire. The original http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22...932_shortfilms is the closest but that's because of the cinematography and Zita Johann, not the mummy himself (sorry Boris).
    For me a remake suggests it's mostly the same film/story with different actors/writers/directors. The last franchise with big forehead guy didn't conjure up the Boris Karloff days for me and I doubt Tom Cruise would sign on to tag along.

  20. #80
    Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Not sure I'd consider it a remake. Reboot maybe I guess.
    I'd call this a reboot since Universal Studios is hoping to use this movie to start their "Monster Universe". They want to link the Mummy to other classic movie monsters like Frankenstein, Wolfman, Dracula, and others.

    I'm skeptical of this working out, but hey, Disney/Marvel are printing their own money so let's try out best to copy them!
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

    Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

    Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

    Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •