X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Maybe better as a short TV mini-series a la The Night Manager, IT...
    That would be the way to do it, yes. Look at how well Westworld delivered.

I have long thought that style is the only way to make Foundation work. I don't care about Dune, but if they lobotomize Foundation I will burn Hollywood to the ground. It's too good for them.

(I'd once have said the same thing about Ender's Game but with Card being such a jackas-s fair f-cks to them.)
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I despised - maybe too strong of a word, maybe not - Ender's Game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        You should. It's excellent.

But do not read the sequels. They... aren't.
        Messiah was plain awful. Kiddies of Dune was not bad. Dune, however, Kull Wahad!

God Emperor was take it or leave it.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Maybe better as a short TV mini-series a la The Night Manager, IT...
          Dune would make a great 10 part series on HBO or Starz or something. Cannot be done as a 2 hour movie. There's just too much subtle stuff going on, stuff that you can't cut out without leaving you just the barest skeleton of a story. Like the first Dune movie.

I think I started watching the Syfy adaptation, but don't think I ever saw tghe entire thing. Some say it's better than the movie, and others say it's even worse.
          Last edited by rufus; 02-01-2017, 06:10 PM.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
            Dune would make a great 10 part series on HBO or Starz or something. Cannot be done as a 2 hour movie. There's just too much subtle stuff going on, stuff that you can't cut out without leaving you just the barest skeleton of a story. Like the first Dune movie.

I think I started watching the Syfy adaptation, but don't think I ever saw tghe entire thing. Some say it's better than the movie, and others say it's even worse.
            Any DeLorentis movie will be a disaster of Irwin Allen proportions. The SyFy adaptation was not bad.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

IMO the Syfy series didn't suck but the movie sure did.
              "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
              Groucho Marx
              "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
              Ron White
              "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
              Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                LOL. I'm totally confused.
                Well see Scooby there are really beautiful women out there...and many of them dont give a crap about the book Dune. To be seen reading that book would have made sure said beautiful woman would never talk to me, so I didnt read it

and now I am probably being shamed on twitter cause I said "beautiful" and "lady" and implied that women are misogynistic or something
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I despised - maybe too strong of a word, maybe not - Ender's Game.
                  The movie or the book?

The movie is the brain dead version. It's very pretty and it gave the tweens a storyline even they could understand.

The book is a completely different creature. It's a genuinely original and interesting idea. Speaker for the Dead, the sequel, is not as brilliant but if anything the ideas are deeper.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The book was a cromulent, B-list, sci-fi thriller.

The sequels are a snoozefest - I lost interest in the series early on in #3, Xenophobia. Card would've been better off telling other stories within that universe, and then bringing some of them back for the conclusion (like C.S. Lewis did with The Chronicles of Narnia), instead of trying to work Ender Wiggins into every novel. The character is just not that interesting. We get it - he hates himself for destroying an entire race of living beings, and spends the rest of his life trying to atone for it. *yawn*
                    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 02-01-2017, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      The book was a cromulent, B-list, sci-fi thriller.
                      Wrong. Read it again. Repeat until you get it.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Sorry, I don't see what there is to "get".

1. Government removes child prodigy from home at young age
                        2. Government brainwashes child prodigy by claiming an opposing race of sentient beings is planning another genocidal war effort
                        3. Government uses child prodigy to kill off opposing race of sentient beings that was actually just trying to live in peace
                        4. Child prodigy finds out the truth, and vows to resurrect the race of sentient beings that he killed off

He could have ended the story there, and it's perfectly cromulent, but instead...

5. Proceed to write a bunch more increasingly uninspiring books about child prodigy growing into an adult
                        6. ...
                        7. Profit

Comment

A+ for the use of cromulent.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I recall Kepler using it to describe how he came to terms with The Dark Knight, so I just learned it from the best snob.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              I recall Kepler using it to describe how he came to terms with The Dark Knight, so I just learned it from the best snob.
                              Besides Kepler, the only people I know who like Ender's Game are 7th graders. To be fair they probably also like The Bachelor
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                The movie or the book?
                                The movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X