This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

Saw Rogue One last night. I really enjoyed it, especially the last 20 minutes and one scene in particular stole the show and helps establish the mythos behind a certain character.

I'll see it again soon. I think it bears repeated viewings because there was an awful lot to follow.

That said, the emotional connection to Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo were much more immediate and I think in 2 months time fans will be going crazy for the first glimpse of episode viii.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Your list does not begin with 4 and is invalid.

What is 3.5? R1?
      Got a thing for whiny 20 year olds do ya?

Empire is vastly superior to A New Hope in every way.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

My yin and yang for Johnny Depp.

He paints himself (imho) as someone that's different from the rest of Hollywood, yet is now set to release POTC #5?

He's great at playing characters, but I really enjoy him best when he plays it closer to "straight".

He can annoy me to no end with some of his portrayals, but I found him fascinating in Black Mass (watching it now).

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

He paints himself (imho) as someone that's different from the rest of Hollywood, yet is now set to release POTC #5?

He's great at playing characters, but I really enjoy him best when he plays it closer to "straight".

He can annoy me to no end with some of his portrayals, but I found him fascinating in Black Mass (watching it now).
          There's an old rule among actors - you never quit a successful series until it finally fizzles and dies.

Every A-list actor has to pay the bills - the LA estate in Malibu, the country "house" in Provence, the ski "chalet" in Telluride, etc.

It's a wonder how they cope.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            There's an old rule among actors - you never quit a successful series until it finally fizzles and dies.

Every A-list actor has to pay the bills - the LA estate in Malibu, the country "house" in Provence, the ski "chalet" in Telluride, etc.

It's a wonder how they cope.
            Don't forget the divorce every 5 years (and/or the cost of prenup preparation, negotiation, and subsequent litigation).

Comment

Speaking of which Depp is currently in the middle of one and apparently refusing to pay out, although such stories bore me so I've never read one to get any of the details.

Comment

Depp was good in Ninth Gate. That was in 1999. I haven't liked him in anything since. I think he had potential and it went to hell for whatever reason. c.f. Nicholson and Pacino.

But in general actors pass through good and bad periods, like painters. There has rarely been an actor who was uniformally good throughout his career.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Depp was good in Ninth Gate. That was in 1999. I haven't liked him in anything since. I think he had potential and it went to hell for whatever reason. c.f. Nicholson and Pacino.

But in general actors pass through good and bad periods, like painters. There has rarely been an actor who was uniformally good throughout his career.
                  He was good in Ninth Gate but it's a horrible film.

Of the past 20 years I'd give him a thumbs up for Finding Neverland, Blow, Fear and Loathing, Donnie Brasco, and Black Mass. Before that Gilbert Grape, Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood.

Comment

Of the past 20 years I'd give him a thumbs up for Finding Neverland, Blow, Fear and Loathing, Donnie Brasco, and Black Mass. Before that Gilbert Grape, Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood.
                    I actually thought he was fine as Dillinger in Public Enemies, although the film itself was fairly dull.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I would say that Depp puts out good work for whatever role he takes, but he tends to choose clunker movies more often than not these days, or some movies that are just to pay the bills. That said, I've not seen all of his work for the past 5 years or so, which means in shows like The Lone Ranger he might have really put out a lousy effort, but it's unlikely I'll ever know.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I don't agree. It's a good film, but it could have been a great film. Langella is terrific (of course). The woman who plays Kessler and the man who plays Fargas are wonderful. The man who plays the Ceniza brothers is AMAZING. So the acting isn't the problem.

If you get the chance, read the book (Arturo PĂ©rez-Reverte's Club Dumas). Be warned: it is completely different -- as different a book from a movie as there's ever been. The book is in the spirit of Eco's Foucault's Pendulum -- it's about literature and a great deal about European intellectual strangeness. It's also got to be the only book that has more f-cking in it than the movie. Reverte also wrote a book called The Flanders Panel, which is delightful and quirky, and which I've always wanted somebody smart to make into a movie.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          I actually thought he was fine as Dillinger in Public Enemies, although the film itself was fairly dull.
                          I did not see that, to be fair.

I loved him in Ed Wood.
                          Cornell University

Comment

OK, this is an old film, but if you're any part of the sort who music is a huge part of their lives, who believes that there's some sort of power or spiritualism in music, who can check their brain at the door and quit analyzing, and just feel, then you should see August Rush.

I'm about as cynical and curmudgeonly as you can get, and this one gets me weepy every time. Saw it again today, and same result. To me, it's just magical.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              OK, this is an old film, but if you're any part of the sort who music is a huge part of their lives, who believes that there's some sort of power or spiritualism in music, who can check their brain at the door and quit analyzing, and just feel, then you should see August Rush.

I'm about as cynical and curmudgeonly as you can get, and this one gets me weepy every time. Saw it again today, and same result. To me, it's just magical.
                              Agreed on all counts. Such a wonderful film...and that scene where they play guitar together in the park is definitely a heave cry!
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Off the top of my head, Depp was great in Brasco, Chocolate Factory, that third Desperado movie (Once Upon A Time In Mexico?), Gilbert Grape, the first Pirates (haven't seen the others), Public Enemies (although I liked that movie more than the general public).

I agree, though, that those movies are not necessarily great movies, but he excelled in them.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X