X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    The Barkley Marathons:

An annual race where almost no one finishes. It's 5 26-mile loops in the woods of TN. In less than 60 hours. The record at time of filming was 55 hours and change.

These people are NUTS. There are portions of the race where you have to run through briar patches, through a creek that runs under an active prison, etc. IF you are one of the 40 people accepted into the race (hundreds apply each year), you get a letter of condolences. Even if you are not a runner, just to see the torture that this race is....wow.
    My first glance saw Berkley and I thought you were going to describe your attendance at an Elizabeth Berkley film marathon. My deepest apologies.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      My first glance saw Berkley and I thought you were going to describe your attendance at an Elizabeth Berkley film marathon. My deepest apologies.
      I did see Showgirls in the theater. Hey, curiosity over the hype b/c of the rating. Horrible movie, but nice scenery.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Black Book:

In the Nazi-occupied Netherlands during World War II, a Jewish singer infiltrates the regional Gestapo headquarters for the Dutch resistance.

Very interesting story, and at times very gut-wrenching at what people had to deal with in that era, whether just tolerating it in the name of resisting, or doing things they had no desire to do, for the same reasons. Good movie.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

We Are Legion:

Basically a documentary about the origins of Anonymous (the internet hacktivist group). Touches on 4chan, Cult Of The Dead Cow, etc and how Anonymous fits in with all that. I've seen docs on what Anon is doing recently, but never really delved into the details on how they formed. Informative, for sure. While biased for the pro-Anon camp, it doesn't shy away from the criticism that Anon has, internally or externally. It's a decent watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            I watched Concussion...yeah the NFL can suck a bag of dicks.
            Haven't seen that, but saw the Frontline documentary it was based on. Yeah, the NFL can suck it.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              If you have a chance, see Hacksaw Ridge this weekend. It is the true story of American hero Desmond T. Doss, brilliantly played by Andrew Garfield. Yes, it was directed by Mel Gibson, but the movie is perhaps the best of the year. It is also accurate, not like Braveheart or other "based on the true story" flicks. I looked up the movie portrayals vs the actual material documented in his Medal of Honor records and the documentary of his life. If anything, his bravery is underplayed because he was too humble to accept it. His commanding officer estimates that he brought over 100 soldiers down off Hacksaw Ridge but settled on 75 after Doss objected. The only "fabrication" is that the men in his unit at the beginning are primarily combined into a few for the sake of storytelling. Without getting political, with all the bitterness and acrimony ripping this country apart right now, an inspirational story of an authentic war hero is exactly what we need.
              Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              I made it a rare two-movie weekend at the theater today. I cannot recommend this movie highly enough.
              Saw it this past weekend. Big yes. No punches pulled on the war scenes, and the post film on screen recollections are something special.
              Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Black Book:

In the Nazi-occupied Netherlands during World War II, a Jewish singer infiltrates the regional Gestapo headquarters for the Dutch resistance.

Very interesting story, and at times very gut-wrenching at what people had to deal with in that era, whether just tolerating it in the name of resisting, or doing things they had no desire to do, for the same reasons. Good movie.
                I wonder if we are about to see a lot of movies about resistance. Popular culture is a trailing indicator of current events. It took a few years for TV and movies to grapple with our descent into the murk of the surveillance state and the Forever War. Likewise, it will probably take 18 months or so before we see fairly obvious parallels between life under the Fraud Fuhrer and other times and places where good people have to hide in the weeds and either wait or strike.
                Last edited by Kepler; 11-22-2016, 10:38 PM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The African Doctor:

A Congolese doctor, who got his degree in France, takes up practice in a small village in France with his family. Culture shock ensues. It's a good feel-good story, with all the happys and sads that go with said story. Based on a true story, etc. Worth a gander.

Comment

Sour Grapes:

Documentary on a wine savant that sold fake expensive wines to collectors. I don't know crap about wine, so all the names of these great wines went over my head. "Ah, yes, the Hoo Shoo Floo '61 is an excellent wine, I paid $3000 for a bottle." Um, ok? However, the general story is very intriguing besides that lack of knowledge. If you like a good scandal story, though, it's worth a watch.

Comment

Sour Grapes:

Documentary on a wine savant that sold fake expensive wines to collectors. I don't know crap about wine, so all the names of these great wines went over my head. "Ah, yes, the Hoo Shoo Floo '61 is an excellent wine, I paid $3000 for a bottle." Um, ok? However, the general story is very intriguing besides that lack of knowledge. If you like a good scandal story, though, it's worth a watch.
                      My reaction to people paying thousands for a bottle of Taylor Lake Country Red and not knowing the difference is "good." This isn't fake insulin.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Went and saw Moana with my family. My daughter liked it.

I liked it but, I had some interesting thoughts:

First off, this is not your bog standard Disney Princess faire. Yes there are plenty of traditional Disney elements, songs, humor, animation references etc. The story however is steeped heavily in Polynesian culture and history. Now I know enough gleamed from growing up around Polynesians and enough trips to the PCC on Oahu to keep up (barely) but the basic moviegoer is going to miss most of it. The story is great enough that might not matter too much though.

But, I noticed a lot of Samoan, Tongan, Hawaiian, Maori families in the theater tonight before the movie started and had a thought as I watched: here was their culture being presented, not in some offensive appropriation or cheesy touristy rip off, but as a Disney Animated Feature, songs and all. It was honestly a powerful thought.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

BBC 10 movies to watch for December
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Everybody Wants Some:

Basically "Dazed And Confused" in a college setting (I had forgotten this was a Linklater movie; he directed D&C). Meandering, no real point to the movie, just kind of a slice of life type movie. Entertaining, but lacks the certain something that made D&C had. Worth a gander on a weekend afternoon, but that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              I don't want to see any of those.
                              Cornell University

Comment

13th:

Doc about the current prison system and how it relates to a certain phrasing in the 13th Amendment. Lots of history in this one, pretty much up to very current day. The slant is about what I expected, as too many times it did come across as "not minorities' fault" that they are in prison. That being said, the depth on which the research goes into how corporations, politicians, and private prisons work together to make a buck is impressive. It is a "should watch," IMO.

To Catch A Thief (1955):

Pardon the pun, but a nice little cat-and-mouse theme about a former burglar trying to catch another burglar who mimics the former's methods, since the former is getting the blame for a new rash of burglaries. I thought it was well done, despite the answer of who the real burglar is being figured out halfway through the movie. There are some nice red herrings, but one little piece of dialogue crossed off any doubts I may have had in my mind. I recommend it, for sure.

I Am Your Father:

Doc on David Prowse, who was the body in the Darth Vader suit for the first Star Wars movies, at least until Darth's Death Scene in Jedi (different actor). Overall, it's a bio-pic, it's just that the Star Wars chapter in his life is a huge chunk of it. Some interesting things that non-fanboys might not have known, about how he came to be Darth, how the movies were done, etc. Lucasfilm is not really portrayed in a favorable light, but they don't get slammed, either. It was a very proper "that's very unfair" criticism sort of thing. If you like the Star Wars movies, you might be interested in this.
                                Last edited by The Rube; 11-28-2016, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X