X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Well there is always a few

BTW still not reading any reviews...even from geeks I know. I watched all of 1 trailer and stopped reading any BTS stuff when people started worrying that Disney was interfering too much with the script. (the reshoot BS) I am not a big fan of the Star Wars Extended Universe idea anyways but if I am going to be able to judge it I need to go in cold. Every time I enjoy one movie I will then give the next one a chance. I enjoyed Force Awakens a lot (though less as time has gone on) so Rogue One gets a shot. (as does Episode 8) If Rogue One is good then I might give chances to the other extraneous movies coming out that I dont care about like The Young Han Solo Chronicles and Boba Fett's Wild Ride
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Well there is always a few

BTW still not reading any reviews...even from geeks I know. I watched all of 1 trailer and stopped reading any BTS stuff when people started worrying that Disney was interfering too much with the script. (the reshoot BS) I am not a big fan of the Star Wars Extended Universe idea anyways but if I am going to be able to judge it I need to go in cold. Every time I enjoy one movie I will then give the next one a chance. I enjoyed Force Awakens a lot (though less as time has gone on) so Rogue One gets a shot. (as does Episode 8) If Rogue One is good then I might give chances to the other extraneous movies coming out that I dont care about like The Young Han Solo Chronicles and Boba Fett's Wild Ride
      The Nerdist's facebook page statest that they have a spoiler-free review. I've not read it, don't know if I will. It's not like we don't know the general plot outline, but I don't want specs to the story either.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The Good Neighbor:

A couple of HS kids create the illusion that their grumpy old neighbor's house is haunted, using top of the line surveillance technology, and filming everything. But, of course, things don't go as planned.

Pretty decent suspense movie, I give it more points given it being a "live footage" style of filming (Blair Witch, Paranormal Activity, etc). The ending, the VERY ending....it's a little disturbing, if I'm reading it right. (hidden below). Worth a watch.

During the movie, one of the main characters said he would do just about anything to get 1 million Youtube views. At the end of the movie, after the court case that comes about because of all this, media is in a frenzy at the court, and I swear you see a smirk, and he's HAPPY he's getting this attention. Didn't matter what he did or didn't do (eye of the beholder and all). He's getting his million views
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/how...ote-1790058128

a review of the New Yorker's review.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Okay, so it's easy enough to understand what the New Yorker's reviewer wrote, but it may very well be the pompous exercise in writing that I've read since my philosophy course freshman year.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

This Richard Brody, the New Yorker's reviewer, really is a bloviating buffoon. He goes on and on about how most of Hollywood is junk before he ever gets to his list of best movies for 2016. He never really gets to his point, but pens out his mast-rbations for his audience before finally saying what it is he likes. There's a whole paragraph on how the films he considered to be quality got financed this year, as though people other than the hippest of hipsters would ever care, as though complex financing is something new to 2016 movies. Then again, look at the small avatar/portrait image he supplies, and it all falls into place.

Comment

People who like movies I don't like are clods.

People who don't like movies I like are snobs.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So you dont like a guy, who writes for the New Yorker, because he pontificates? Have you ever actually READ the New Yorker?

This new trend of people attacking reporters because they dont like the review they gave of a movie (not saying you did that Clown) needs to end and fast.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

People who like movies I don't like are clods.

People who don't like movies I like are snobs.
                    Not at all. People like what they like, and I don't hold it against them. However, when a person presents his/her choices they way he did, they deserve the ire of every single person who happens across their holier-than-thou cinematic ministrations.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      Not at all. People like what they like, and I don't hold it against them. However, when a person presents his/her choices they way he did, they deserve the ire of every single person who happens across their holier-than-thou cinematic ministrations.
                      So, like Kepler....

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        For obvious reasons, I don't have an issue with a writer's pomposity if she's saying something interesting. After all, the whole idea of pomposity is "false importance." If a writer manages to say something important she's failed the pomposity test right off. (BTW, I don't know that that's true of the movie review in question. It's a movie review, by definition it's all a silly exercise anyway.)

I have a much bigger problem with the "aw shucks" style of writing where the writer is every bit as self-important but hides behind the persona you'd like to have a beer with. That guy? F-ck that guy.

Slob snobbery is more of a problem in this country than snob snobbery. It goes along with our anti-intellectualism. My advice is if you don't like people making fine distinctions using intellectual argument don't read The New Yorker. What you're doing is the equivalent of throwing down Motor Trend in a huff, saying, "Jesus Christ, I couldn't care less about cars!" That's not on the writer, it's on you.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 12-14-2016, 11:58 AM.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

For obvious reasons, I don't have an issue with a writer's pomposity if she's saying something interesting. After all, the whole idea of pomposity is "false importance." If a writer manages to say something important she's failed the pomposity test right off. (BTW, I don't know that that's true of the movie review in question. It's a movie review, by definition it's all a silly exercise anyway.)

I have a much bigger problem with the "aw shucks" style of writing where the writer is every bit as self-important but hides behind the persona you'd like to have a beer with. That guy? F-ck that guy.

Slob snobbery is more of a problem in this country than snob snobbery. It goes along with our anti-intellectualism. My advice is if you don't like people making fine distinctions using intellectual argument don't read The New Yorker. What you're doing is the equivalent of throwing down Motor Trend in a huff, saying, "Jesus Christ, I couldn't care less about cars!" That's not on the writer, it's on you.
                          I've never once opened a New Yorker or visited its site prior to today, so perhaps it is on me. Still, there are methods to writing which are both eloquent and don't require your reader to either breakout a dictionary or thesaurus just to understand your meaning. Besides that, the guy is clearly ensnaring himself in his verbal gymnastics, causing him to mix metaphors and creating contradictions. Based upon what you tell me of the New Yorker, and Handyman's quick quip, they're more interested in the style over the substance.

There's a fine line in providing well written snobbery that neither debases your readers or gives them a false sense of importance. He fails at it miserably.

As to your point about it being a movie review, sure. But it's still bad writing.

Comment

Listen, all we need to take away from the review is that the reviewer says that AotC and RotS were the best in the series. You can place as much value you need on his review based solely on that one line.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              I've never once opened a New Yorker or visited its site prior to today, so perhaps it is on me. Still, there are methods to writing which are both eloquent and don't require your reader to either breakout a dictionary or thesaurus just to understand your meaning. Besides that, the guy is clearly ensnaring himself in his verbal gymnastics, causing him to mix metaphors and creating contradictions. Based upon what you tell me of the New Yorker, and Handyman's quick quip, they're more interested in the style over the substance.
                              Like pretty much all entertainment, they are projecting an image, just like all the ads on their pages are projecting an image. Things like The New Yorker or Duck Dynasty aren't about what they are supposedly about. They're about touching antenna with other people like you, who get you. The whole point is you don't have to break out a dictionary or thesaurus because you not only know those words but use them in everyday speech. Just like the people who watch Duck Dynasty get whatever references they make to fishing lures or Jeff Foxworthy routines or Sean Hannity memes. The stuff the outsiders don't get is the inside joke you get and enjoy. They are selling camaraderie to a world with precious little of it.

I'm not a big reader of TNY. AFAIK, it tries to be a literary magazine because it had a long ago history during which it really was one. It isn't any more because that's not a viable market anymore. "Serious literature," in English anyway, died sometime shortly after WW2, perhaps not coincidentally when TV became ubiquitous and began reducing attention spans, limiting imaginations, and destroying the inner monologues that people used to have when they could, literally, hear themselves think. We live in a world where Vonnegut is profound, and I mean that with all due respect to Vonnegut, who I love. But that's just about the deepest and most soulful real writing we've produced in the last 70 years, and as he was always the first to preach, it isn't much. The really interesting High Art that is also popular culture now comes out of movies or sometimes VERY rarely in TV or popular music. So TNY is a relic. Its life and purpose are obsolete but somehow there it still is, so a handful of true believers rally round it and bestow it with whatever meaning they need it to have.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 12-14-2016, 01:27 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                This new trend of people attacking reporters because they dont like the review they gave of a movie (not saying you did that Clown) needs to end and fast.
                                I haven't commented yet, but I don't disagree with St.C at all on this and it has nothing to do with him not liking the movie. I couldn't care less because 1) I'm not a fanboy 2) I'm going to see it anyway. He simply came across as being full of it even more so than he was full of himself.

Comment

Working...
                                X