This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

Went and saw THE ACCOUNTANT this afternoon. Well worth the price of admission. It's a solid B/B+.

I saw it as a "thinking man's" Jason Bourne. The movie takes a long look at how Ben Affleck's character deals with his Autism. None of that was a negative however and showed Christian Wolfe as a very strong character. Not a lot of action, but what is there is solid. Anna Kendrick is solid in her supporting role. John Lithgow was the only "Needs Improvement" mark, but that is partially on the script.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Went and saw THE ACCOUNTANT this afternoon. Well worth the price of admission. It's a solid B/B+.

I saw it as a "thinking man's" Jason Bourne. The movie takes a long look at how Ben Affleck's character deals with his Autism. None of that was a negative however and showed Christian Wolfe as a very strong character. Not a lot of action, but what is there is solid. Anna Kendrick is solid in her supporting role. John Lithgow was the only "Needs Improvement" mark, but that is partially on the script.
    I liked it a lot...I thought the ending was a lot of fun and I think Affleck did a great job.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I finally got around to watching the documentary Weiner this past weekend. I thought it was worth the time. Very interesting behind the scenes type movie.

I found my reaction to the movie interesting. First, I actually started to acknowledge, at some level, a small amount of respect for the guy. Once you have made yourself a joke, publicly, it has to be hard to put yourself out there in the very public eye, day after day.

But about every 15 minutes I was also left with the inescapable feeling that Weiner needs to be punched in the face. Hard. Daily. But then I started to realize that maybe it's just New Yorkers that need to be punched in the face, daily. What an obnoxious, loathsome group of people. The name calling. The arguing and shouting.

No wonder Weiner wasn't struck by the inappropriateness of texting photos of his junk. As a New Yorker he basically spent every day of his life whipping it out in public as he argued "mine's bigger than yours."

But probably the most memorable scene for me is his discussion in the car with his press secretary. She is reading her phone and telling Weiner that a certain reporter is just looking for answers to two or three questions. They are basic questions, like how many women did you send pictures to, and when did you stop sending pictures.

To watch Weiner dissemble is, I fear, a telling picture of American politics today.

He sits there staring out the window, replaying the various lies he has told in response to those questions in the past, softly verbalizing them for the audience. The problem, he notes, is that a few years earlier when the first scandal broke, he said one thing. Then, as he threw his hat in the ring for Mayor and gave a bunch of interviews, he said something else, which as he verbalizes he "walked back" slightly in later interviews. But now the new reports from women are coming out and so he is sitting there trying to figure out the "answer" without ever, for once, just thinking, "hey, maybe I should just tell the truth."
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I watched Maleficent the other day, and was very pleasantly surprised: what a charming, delightful movie!

I had misgivings going it, despite hearing that it received good reviews: it is a Disney movie telling the story of Sleeping Beauty from the point of view of the "person" who cursed Aurora, starring Angelina Jolie and Elle Fanning. It was clever and inventive, not at all what one might expect from that setup. Both leads were very good in their roles.

You probably do not want to watch this movie with young children; it is more for tweens and teens, if not also young adults who want to enjoy a throwback day to simpler times. A good daddy-daughter flick.

My only criticism is that, after they did such a great job with the buildup, is that they rushed the ending a bit. Otherwise, as Siskel and Ebert would have said, two thumbs up!
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Dr. Strange.

Fantastic Film. Great addition to the universe. Tied in nicely with 3 upcoming Universe films. Can't say I disliked anything about it. Seeing it in 3D was a treat.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Dr. Strange.

Fantastic Film. Great addition to the universe. Tied in nicely with 3 upcoming Universe films. Can't say I disliked anything about it. Seeing it in 3D was a treat.
            Agreed... IMAX 3D was well worth the upcharge. Loved how Scott Derrickson took Steve Ditko's artistic style of the late 60's and translated it to modern, 3D CGI perfectly.
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              I finally got around to watching the documentary Weiner this past weekend. I thought it was worth the time. Very interesting behind the scenes type movie.

I found my reaction to the movie interesting. First, I actually started to acknowledge, at some level, a small amount of respect for the guy. Once you have made yourself a joke, publicly, it has to be hard to put yourself out there in the very public eye, day after day.

But about every 15 minutes I was also left with the inescapable feeling that Weiner needs to be punched in the face. Hard. Daily. But then I started to realize that maybe it's just New Yorkers that need to be punched in the face, daily. What an obnoxious, loathsome group of people. The name calling. The arguing and shouting.

No wonder Weiner wasn't struck by the inappropriateness of texting photos of his junk. As a New Yorker he basically spent every day of his life whipping it out in public as he argued "mine's bigger than yours."

But probably the most memorable scene for me is his discussion in the car with his press secretary. She is reading her phone and telling Weiner that a certain reporter is just looking for answers to two or three questions. They are basic questions, like how many women did you send pictures to, and when did you stop sending pictures.

To watch Weiner dissemble is, I fear, a telling picture of American politics today.

He sits there staring out the window, replaying the various lies he has told in response to those questions in the past, softly verbalizing them for the audience. The problem, he notes, is that a few years earlier when the first scandal broke, he said one thing. Then, as he threw his hat in the ring for Mayor and gave a bunch of interviews, he said something else, which as he verbalizes he "walked back" slightly in later interviews. But now the new reports from women are coming out and so he is sitting there trying to figure out the "answer" without ever, for once, just thinking, "hey, maybe I should just tell the truth."
              I didn't even know there was a doc. Thanks.

Now I have to decide whether or not I can tolerate 90 straight minutes of him on the screen.

Comment

Saw an ad on a movie channel her for a movie called Arena with Samuel L. The preview made it look worthy of the SyFy channel at best. Out of curiosity I googled it and it rates as poorly as it looked. How does Samuel L in 2011 get into a movie that bad? That's not to say he hasn't been in turds before, but this one looks like it was a joke project from the get go.

Comment

Was looking through YouTube last night and 8thManDVD.com has posted a huge collection of Looney Tunes cartoons.

They're very good quality.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Saw an ad on a movie channel her for a movie called Arena with Samuel L. The preview made it look worthy of the SyFy channel at best. Out of curiosity I googled it and it rates as poorly as it looked. How does Samuel L in 2011 get into a movie that bad? That's not to say he hasn't been in turds before, but this one looks like it was a joke project from the get go.
                    Much like Walken, he will do whatever for a paycheck.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

If you have a chance, see Hacksaw Ridge this weekend. It is the true story of American hero Desmond T. Doss, brilliantly played by Andrew Garfield. Yes, it was directed by Mel Gibson, but the movie is perhaps the best of the year. It is also accurate, not like Braveheart or other "based on the true story" flicks. I looked up the movie portrayals vs the actual material documented in his Medal of Honor records and the documentary of his life. If anything, his bravery is underplayed because he was too humble to accept it. His commanding officer estimates that he brought over 100 soldiers down off Hacksaw Ridge but settled on 75 after Doss objected. The only "fabrication" is that the men in his unit at the beginning are primarily combined into a few for the sake of storytelling. Without getting political, with all the bitterness and acrimony ripping this country apart right now, an inspirational story of an authentic war hero is exactly what we need.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        Much like Walken, he will do whatever for a paycheck.
                        Yeah Sam has had a few stinkers. Plus, how surprised can you be? He did Snakes On A Plane.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          Yeah Sam has had a few stinkers. Plus, how surprised can you be? He did Snakes On A Plane.
                          True but that whole thing was tongue-in-cheek. This one looked like it was a serious effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            True but that whole thing was tongue-in-cheek. This one looked like it was a serious effort.
                            It happens. *shrug*
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Dr. Strange.

Cumberbund was great, Tilda was great, all the other actors were lame. Somewhere under the waterfall of CGI goo there is a good movie. But all the geewhizery is busy and even annoying, and obscures most of the martial arts fun.

Unlike most Marvel movies, the quieter scenes were well-written and well-acted, and this was certainly a smarter and more adult movie than they usually do.

Call it a B. Strip out half the goo and it gets near an A minus.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                              X