X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
    Tom Cruise "The Mummy" remake, re-imagining or whatever you want to call it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItqDnCk-zEE
    Not sure I'd consider it a remake. Reboot maybe I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Is there a difference? I don't mean that snarkily -- it seems to me that a reboot is just what Hollywood called a remake 30 years ago. I suppose a reboot suggests an emphasis on establishing a new franchise with sequels, but take the Mummy as a classic example -- everybody who made and remade it back in the old days was doing so in order to churn out sequels.

I've yet to see a truly satisfying mummy, in the way that say the original Dracula and Nosferatu are a satisfying vampire. The original http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22...932_shortfilms is the closest but that's because of the cinematography and Zita Johann, not the mummy himself (sorry Boris).
      Last edited by Kepler; 12-02-2016, 03:15 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

This is great. If you know Airplane! verbatim (raises hand shame facedly)...
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Is there a difference? I don't mean that snarkily -- it seems to me that a reboot is just what Hollywood called a remake 30 years ago. I suppose a reboot suggests an emphasis on establishing a new franchise with sequels, but take the Mummy as a classic example -- everybody who made and remade it back in the old days was doing so in order to churn out sequels.

I've yet to see a truly satisfying mummy, in the way that say the original Dracula and Nosferatu are a satisfying vampire. The original http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22...932_shortfilms is the closest but that's because of the cinematography and Zita Johann, not the mummy himself (sorry Boris).
          For me a remake suggests it's mostly the same film/story with different actors/writers/directors. The last franchise with big forehead guy didn't conjure up the Boris Karloff days for me and I doubt Tom Cruise would sign on to tag along.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            I'd call this a reboot since Universal Studios is hoping to use this movie to start their "Monster Universe". They want to link the Mummy to other classic movie monsters like Frankenstein, Wolfman, Dracula, and others.

I'm skeptical of this working out, but hey, Disney/Marvel are printing their own money so let's try out best to copy them!
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

How did that work out for the Van Helsing movie? Actually, that might have been a much better movie if they'd had a better script, better effects, a better director, and a supporting cast that wasn't dead set on giving performances and accents due for a b-movie production.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                How did that work out for the Van Helsing movie? Actually, that might have been a much better movie if they'd had a better script, better effects, a better director, and a supporting cast that wasn't dead set on giving performances and accents due for a b-movie production.
                That was a spectacularly bad movie. So bad it seemed like they were trying. Departed bad.

Brendan whatshisface was OK in The Mummy, and that movie gave us Beni.
                Last edited by Kepler; 12-02-2016, 05:56 PM.
                Cornell University

Comment

Now I need to watch Zero Hour.

No need to be embarrassed, Kepler. I also know Airplane! verbatim...
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Wow. And there's no shame in knowing Airplane! start-to-finish.

Comment

I want to see Zero Hour! But it's not on Netflix at all.

I knew of the similarities beforehand thanks to youtube/etc.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Never seen it.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          Never seen it.
                          This is why you fail. Airplane! is great. Total classic.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Never seen it.
                            While this is a bit shocking given that we are (I think) about the same age, I'm not going to excoriate you for it. Go buy it (renting is a waste of time) - the DVD is probably $15-20 online, but it's worth it. You will want it in your library.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              While this is a bit shocking given that we are (I think) about the same age, I'm not going to excoriate you for it. Go buy it (renting is a waste of time) - the DVD is probably $15-20 online, but it's worth it. You will want it in your library.
                              $5.
                              https://www.amazon.com/Airplane-Vari...words=airplane

Comment

Well, there you go. Thanks, bruh.

Comment

Working...
                                X