X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

The Barkley Marathons:

An annual race where almost no one finishes. It's 5 26-mile loops in the woods of TN. In less than 60 hours. The record at time of filming was 55 hours and change.

These people are NUTS. There are portions of the race where you have to run through briar patches, through a creek that runs under an active prison, etc. IF you are one of the 40 people accepted into the race (hundreds apply each year), you get a letter of condolences. Even if you are not a runner, just to see the torture that this race is....wow.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I watched Concussion...yeah the NFL can suck a bag of dicks.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        I watched Concussion...yeah the NFL can suck a bag of dicks.
        Need to see that. You know it's good if the League tried to ban it.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Need to see that. You know it's good if the League tried to ban it.
          Pick the right time...it is hard to watch as you see people lose their minds.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Regarding until:
            I thought that the reveal of the "Martian" craft was great and a decent twist.

The movie went off the rails when it became Independence Day with her using a molotov cocktail to bring it down.

They could have been much more subtle about completing here character arc - I believe she completed it by defeating Goodman herself.

Could have still had her join the conflict at the end. The whole alien action movie didn't fit what was an excellent thriller to that point.

Goodman was outstanding in that role.

Comment

Has anyone seen the documentary Deep Web?

A fascinating subject, but I came away from the movie feeling like, a) I was part of a the defense team's propaganda piece, and b) where is all of the rest of this great story?

It tells the story of the founder of the website Silk Road and his prosecution by the feds for basically operating an online drug bazaar. He was convicted and given a long prison term, which I understand is under appeal.

Because the movie leaves you wanting for more information, I followed it up by Google searching more about the case. There are fascinating articles out there that do a decent job of supplementing what you learn in the movie.

The cliff notes for the movie are as follows:

1. Smart, great looking, well-liked kid is the son of a couple operating a "business" out of Costa Rica.
              2. Kid graduates from school, with deeply held libertarian beliefs.
              3. Discovers Tor, and the ability to operate on the web anonymously.
              4. Kid thinks (innocently??) that it would be great if people could buy and sell things like on Amazon, but do so anonymously.
              5. Kid discovers Bitcoin and concludes that a combination of Tor and Bitcoin will permit the anonymous transactions he is looking for.
              6. Kid starts Silk Road.
              7. Silk Road is suddenly inundated with heroin and meth dealers.
              8. Feds discover Silk Road and shut it down.
              9. Feds shut it down by discovering the Tor servers are hidden in Iceland and they seize the servers.
              10. Kid is successfully prosecuted.

As you can see, an extremely interesting story, but if this is all you get, it leaves you with a lot of questions. The story of how they learned the identity of this kid is interesting. The story of how they arrested him, logged into the site, but did so in a way to prevent him from protecting his computer from the feds is entertaining. But none of this is in the movie. The role of Bitcoin, and the fact that it is not anonymous, was completely glossed over. I am curious if there are any other movies or television shows on the subject that are floating around out there.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                I agree completely.

I would have loved for her to rise from the tunnel, sun comes up, her ordeal is over. She jumps in the truck, flips on the radio, hears the call for experienced people, and makes for BR. Everything exactly the same but remove the battle with the weird wormy thing and the alien chopper. It would also set the record for the other shoe dropping, because half the audience wouldn't even have processed Howard was right before we've already blown through her transformation and she's off to Save The Cheerleader.

I read a fun hypothetical on the whole "series" and where it might go next. Spoilers below:

According to this theory, it's not an invasion at all, but an accident. A star-faring civilization is transporting a lot of different species for some reason -- it could be animal husbandry, or a food supply, or xenobiologists taking samples, or even a traveling circus. Something goes wrong and the ship(s) crash on Earth.

Now they're just trying to gather up all their stuff or snuff it out to avoid infecting the crash site. They're either unaware of or uninterested in us. In fact the ships and hovercraft may just be drones.

This helps explain why a species smart enough to engineer FTL craft behaves so stupidly tactically. It also suggests we haven't met the really interesting species yet.

There are people out there who have "proved" the different creatures we have seen so far could not have evolved on the same planet due to various physiological, morphological magic because, this just in, people are crazy.
                Last edited by Kepler; 11-15-2016, 10:41 AM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

SJ - iirc Rolling Stone had a very good article about the Silk Road founder a few years back if you didn't already come across it in your search.

Comment

The Barkley Marathons:

An annual race where almost no one finishes. It's 5 26-mile loops in the woods of TN. In less than 60 hours. The record at time of filming was 55 hours and change.

These people are NUTS. There are portions of the race where you have to run through briar patches, through a creek that runs under an active prison, etc. IF you are one of the 40 people accepted into the race (hundreds apply each year), you get a letter of condolences. Even if you are not a runner, just to see the torture that this race is....wow.
                    I read about that race in Runner's World. To be honest, I'm too intimidated to even apply.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      SJ - iirc Rolling Stone had a very good article about the Silk Road founder a few years back if you didn't already come across it in your search.
                      Best articles in my opinion.
                      https://www.wired.com/2015/04/silk-road-1/
                      https://www.wired.com/2015/05/silk-road-2/
                      In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                      I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

The Rolling Stone article was really good, and I think that mag MAYBE puts out 2-3 decent articles per year.

And Bob: you wouldn't finish one loop within the rules of the race as I know them (as the doc presented, anyway) and that's not a knock.

Comment

The Barkley Marathons:

I watched that several months back, and yeah that race is nucking futs. When Brent says "woods", he means the foothills of the Great Smokies. It is very rare to have more than one finisher per year, and there have been multiple years in a row with no finisher.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            I watched that several months back, and yeah that race is nucking futs. When Brent says "woods", he means the foothills of the Great Smokies. It is very rare to have more than one finisher per year, and there have been multiple years in a row with no finisher.
                            The most memorable moment is to see the runners' legs and soles of their feet. Razor blades and pure blisters, respectively. It's something to see, for sure.

Comment

I saw Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them:

Speaking as someone who never read a Harry Potter Book and has seen like 45 minutes of 1 of the movies and found it rather blah...I really really liked this movie! Sure it is a bit predictable but the story is still very solid and all the actors really do a great job in their parts. It is a very charming movie that I was engaged in the whole time and it looks glorious in IMAX.

4.5 out 5 stars.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Free State Of Jones

Movie about some southerners who attempt to break free from the Confederacy, and live in a mixed-race society in Mississippi. I thought it was very well done, Matt McC is great, of course. Supporting cast is solid, and it was a good story that needed to be told (yes, I know there are books on it). Very much worth the watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X