X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    He yelled at the comic which started the whole thing. He completely disrupted the performance as a heckler. The father has no one to blame but himself.
    Ok that wasn't discernible from your previous comment:

Or the comic who had a person walk out and when the comic asked why the guy said "I am a dad and I brought my son here and he doesnt need to hear this". The comic responded "you brought your son to a comic club at night?" Perfect response.
    And correct he has only himself to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I think I've mentioned this but my dad was closely involved with the Apollo program. I'll watch anything involved with that, including the raw footage of the command center. I only wish somebody would overlay the metrics from the various department reads.

We landed on the f-cking moon and returned safely. That is human race achievement #1 so far, then a HUGE gap.
      Agreed...I mean we make a big deal out of the Space Shuttle and the awesome probes we send out but to me that isnt close to the fact that WE WALKED ON THE FLIPPING MOON!

(going to that museum in DC was the most I felt like a kid in decades)

Salp Shot,

I realized I didnt tell the story fully which was why I posted again. Lately there have been lots of stories like that of people blatantly looking to be offended so they can make a spectacle out of themselves (especially with comics) and I just dont get it.
      Last edited by Handyman; 01-16-2017, 08:02 AM.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Oy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysUVwawgSmY
        A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
          It just looks so horrible that it could actually be fun.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            It just looks so horrible that it could actually be fun.
            You mean like the show was?
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

You mean like the show was?
              I haven't seen that show since sometime in the early 80s. So the badness of it was completely lost on me.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                I haven't seen that show since sometime in the early 80s. So the badness of it was completely lost on me.
                That trailer is a perfect example of what the show was.

(I watched the show...loved it for its cheesiness)
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I didn't see much of the show, but it was pretty bad.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

That trailer is a perfect example of what the show was.

(I watched the show...loved it for its cheesiness)
                    Minus the juvenile homo-erotic humor and the big budget explosions. Nothing like car chases on the highway filmed at 30 mph.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      I'm not seeing any real examples of free speech actually being infringed upon.
                      While this particular incident is somewhat tangential, it is an example: Steve Harvey is invited to meet with Donald Trump. He accepts the invitation. He says that he felt like Mr. Trump was interested in what he had to say about how to improve the lives of members of the minority community.

Steve Harvey is then inundated with hate mail.

There are other examples just like that out there, of people being hounded and harassed merely for speaking with Trump, or saying things that were not sufficiently anti-Trump.

It seems like these kinds of "consequences" are a bit too extreme for a civilized society, no? These people are not at all Trump "supporters" even.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                        While this particular incident is somewhat tangential, it is an example: Steve Harvey is invited to meet with Donald Trump. He accepts the invitation. He says that he felt like Mr. Trump was interested in what he had to say about how to improve the lives of members of the minority community.

That's not an example.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

There are other examples just like that out there, of people being hounded and harassed merely for speaking with Trump, or saying things that were not sufficiently anti-Trump.

It seems like these kinds of "consequences" are a bit too extreme for a civilized society, no? These people are not at all Trump "supporters" even.
                          Claiming the free speech of others is "suppression" of your own free speech, is NOT suppression of free speech.

Unless it's an imminent threat of death, or bodily harm anyway - much different story in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Claiming the free speech of others is "suppression" of your own free speech, is NOT suppression of free speech.

Unless it's an imminent threat of death, or bodily harm anyway - much different story in that case.
                            A violation or suppression of free speech can only be illegal if it's happening at the hands of the government.

If you take a stance publicly, and others of a non-governmental capacity take umbrage with that stance, they can counter your points or you specifically by a great many means. It's all part of the great debates that happen within a free and open society. Those countering positions can be made through direct speech or economic actions. That's the way it's been for a very long time, and we can only hope that it'll continue that way long after we're gone.

Comment

Saw La La Land. If you enjoy the golden age musicals I recommend it. A / A-.

Spoilers: I didn't like the very ending. I thought the "American(s) in Paris" number suggested a Many Worlds Hypothesis, where all their possible futures were equally "real." Having the final moment where it is wrapped back into OTL as a simple fantasy was, IMO, a weak ending.

The planetarium number was a wonderful reworking of the "dance on air" and the soft shoe number was really warmly done. Gosling was fine but Stone was spectacular. The film felt very much like a Golden Age musical, right down to many direct homages (e.g. the "boarding house" number which is a feature of every 30s musical).

I actually thought the film was going to suck after about 15 minutes, just because the early numbers were poor and and far too "High School Musical," but when the actual storyline and the emotional connection between them got going I was completely brought inside.

So here's a musical where the music itself is not strong at all, the singing of the principles is very rough, and the dancing is anything but great. But it works. Dr. Mrs. felt that the generally "ad hoc" and amateurish feeling (and skillset) were directly trying to set the mood of them as struggling. If true, uh... it worked? I guess? Though if they were deliberately underselling I'd have liked to see one top notch number where they were completely on. (Chazelle sure did this with grace in the drumming movie.)

I think this is a very moving film, and I think the intent to rescue the genre from the creeping meatballism of corporate Broadway paint-by-numbers pablum is noble and sincere.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The 2017 Razzie Nominations are out!

Comment

Working...
                                X