X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Lucky Number Slevin:

Twisty turny hot mess of a movie that somehow ends up working. Reminded me a bit of Burn After Reading, in that you won't like the movie until all the ends are tied up. Then you look back and at least kind of like it.
    I liked this enough to buy it when it came out, but then I haven't opened it since. Maybe this warrants a revisit?

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
      I liked this enough to buy it when it came out, but then I haven't opened it since. Maybe this warrants a revisit?
      Could happen. I was frustrated for the first half. I hate when there are pieces, then all of a sudden a new piece shows up out of nowhere just because PLOT TWIST!, and this had a few. However, upon the ending, I felt, "Ok, that worked." Many times, it doesn't work.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

We'll see. Haven't gotten to Christmas Vacation or Scrooged yet this season. (tcbg watched Scrooged without me )

Comment

I hated Lucky Number Slevin...like openly flicking off the screen in the theater hated it.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            I hated Lucky Number Slevin...like openly flicking off the screen in the theater hated it.
            That was most of the reviews when it first came out, IIRC. Hence why it took so long for me to see it. And it's an understandable review.

Boyhood:
            Very creative concept (same cast, filmed over 12 years). You better like dialogue, though, because that's about all there is. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a long one, 2 hours/45 minutes. Didn't seem like it, though.

Trash:
            3 Brazilian kids find something in the dump that is very important to a local politician. Something that people would kill for. It was pretty good. Some interesting takes on the language barrier, as some supporting characters are part of an American missionary-type organization. It's better than a time-killer, but not quite one you'd necessarily want to search out to watch as a feature.

Serial Killer 1:
            French movie about a serial killer. Meh. Pretty much by-the-numbers cop drama. Apparently based on a true story, but frankly, the story isn't that intriguing.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Knocked Up.

Crazy, Stupid, Love.

And of course.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Knocked Up.

Crazy, Stupid, Love.

And of course.
                Yeah but everyone knows you have no taste Bachelor Boy
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Yeah but everyone knows you have no taste Bachelor Boy
                  I was going to say The Bachelor is not even the worst show I watch but... nah, you're right.

Should be starting soon, BTW, in case you want to get on the bus.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Well, Star Wars fans can breathe easy... Early reviews I've seen are fairly strong for Rouge One.

Just hoping that this doesn't increase ticket sales to some ungodly number this weekend. My local theatre went assigned seating for everything that isn't IMAX over the Summer. Thur/Fri/Primetime Sat. shows are already down to seats up front and singles on the sides. My Dad seems like he wants to go but won't commit for whatever reason, so this could get dicey. Since he's a 1 movie/year person, I think all the hoopla has him spooked.
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                      Well, Star Wars fans can breathe easy... Early reviews I've seen are fairly strong for Rouge One.

Just hoping that this doesn't increase ticket sales to some ungodly number this weekend. My local theatre went assigned seating for everything that isn't IMAX over the Summer. Thur/Fri/Primetime Sat. shows are already down to seats up front and singles on the sides. My Dad seems like he wants to go but won't commit for whatever reason, so this could get dicey. Since he's a 1 movie/year person, I think all the hoopla has him spooked.
                      What I like about one of the special effects they used for the droid featured in the commercials is that they actually had the actor, Alan Tudyk, standing on stilts in a motion capture suit so that when he exchanged lines with the cast, they'd have an actual visual point of reference to what was happening and could look the droid in the eyes rather than what most movies do for CGI characters.

Also, since I have to work on Thursday evening for an app install, and then be available Friday for support reasons, I bought tickets last week to Tuesday's show @ 7:00PM. The theater uses assigned seating, and my ticket is in the very back row right next to the projector due to availability. And I think that'll work out just fine since the reels won't be clacking away and I'll still be centered in relation to the screen, the theater's giant screen. Also, Tuesdays are $5 for all seats, so that was a bonus too.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Even if the movie sucks...there was a zero percent chance the movie would get bad reviews. Christ Episode 2 got a 65% on RT.

I have my tickets for Friday and just like with anything else I wont read a thing until after I see it cause movie critics suck at life
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Even if the movie sucks...there was a zero percent chance the movie would get bad reviews. Christ Episode 2 got a 65% on RT.

I have my tickets for Friday and just like with anything else I wont read a thing until after I see it cause movie critics suck at life
                          Episode 1 has a 55%, which is 53 points too high.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Episode 1 has a 55%, which is 53 points too high.
                            If Lucas went back (like he did with the Originals) and only changed it so Jar Jar accidentally got mauled in an end credits scene (then in Episode 2 they kill him again just cause) I would rate that the 3rd best SW film out of principle
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Even if the movie sucks...there was a zero percent chance the movie would get bad reviews.
                              About that...
                              Cornell University

Comment

The premise sounds intriguing enough (albeit partially ripped off from the end of a classic Ray Bradbury short story) that I'm willing to overlook some snooty old crank's opinion of the execution for the time being, and see it for myself. Just the fact that it's a standalone story should help, I think. If I hate it, then I don't have to worry about any continuity.

Comment

Working...
                                X