This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

I saw Doctor Strange today too, brother had an extra ticket. I liked it, didn't love it. It was good to see someone struggle with the idea of changing who and what he is and learning to accept certain other realities of life outside of the obvious needed for a comic book hero role.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Much like Walken, he will do whatever for a paycheck.
      He flat out says in interviews that he likes money.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        If you have a chance, see Hacksaw Ridge this weekend. It is the true story of American hero Desmond T. Doss, brilliantly played by Andrew Garfield. Yes, it was directed by Mel Gibson, but the movie is perhaps the best of the year. It is also accurate, not like Braveheart or other "based on the true story" flicks. I looked up the movie portrayals vs the actual material documented in his Medal of Honor records and the documentary of his life. If anything, his bravery is underplayed because he was too humble to accept it. His commanding officer estimates that he brought over 100 soldiers down off Hacksaw Ridge but settled on 75 after Doss objected. The only "fabrication" is that the men in his unit at the beginning are primarily combined into a few for the sake of storytelling. Without getting political, with all the bitterness and acrimony ripping this country apart right now, an inspirational story of an authentic war hero is exactly what we need.
        I made it a rare two-movie weekend at the theater today. I cannot recommend this movie highly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          I made it a rare two-movie weekend at the theater today. I cannot recommend this movie highly enough.
          Gonna wait for this one on Netflix, because I have a feeling a dust storm will appear as I'm watching it.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            Gonna wait for this one on Netflix, because I have a feeling a dust storm will appear as I'm watching it.
            It's not a tearjerker movie, IMO. The love story aspect of him meeting his girlfriend takes place early, and it's more of a happy, chuckling process as the story's told. Gibson doesn't make any single soldier's death more important than the story as a whole. This is a story to honor and show great respect for a man who performed a series of tremendous acts in the midst of a horrendous battle.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              It's not a tearjerker movie, IMO. The love story aspect of him meeting his girlfriend takes place early, and it's more of a happy, chuckling process as the story's told. Gibson doesn't make any single soldier's death more important than the story as a whole. This is a story to honor and show great respect for a man who performed a series of tremendous acts in the midst of a horrendous battle.
              There's the dust storm.

Same with Lone Survivor, towards the end there. Just the act of doing your duty, no matter what....for me....it really touches my heart. It's tears of pride, respect, etc., you know?
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Finally got around to Suicide Squad. What a piece of hot garbage. Seriously outside of Harley there was almost nothing redeemable about it while the witch/brother segments felt like a 1980's cartoon. It was Val Kilmer/Batman bad.

Comment

Subscribed because this is an original post
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Finally got around to Suicide Squad. What a piece of hot garbage. Seriously outside of Harley there was almost nothing redeemable about it while the witch/brother segments felt like a 1980's cartoon. It was Val Kilmer/Batman bad.
                    All true but I'd watch it again for Harley. I'd tell people to see the movie just for that. Val Kilmer Batman isn't worth a minute of anyone's time.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Holy ****. Dead Pool was amazing.
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Holy ****. Dead Pool was amazing.
                        Yes, yes it was. I really hope the second one is as enjoyable as the first. It seems Ryan Reynolds is the right person for it.

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        All true but I'd watch it again for Harley. I'd tell people to see the movie just for that. Val Kilmer Batman isn't worth a minute of anyone's time.
                        My first impression was that the only redeeming quality was Margot Robbie. Even after all this time, I think I'll wait for HBO/Netflix to see Margot Robbie.

Speaking of the DC universe: Why is it that Batman v. Superman was terrible and I never wanted to see it, Suicide Squad looked awful and I only wanted to see Margot Robbie... and yet... Wonder Woman looks spectacular and I'm actually interested?
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Cause Patty Jenkins has a different style than Ayer and Snyder do. It all comes down to taste. (Wonder Woman does look awesome)

As for Deadpool, Tim Miller leaving the project might hurt a bit depending on who they replace him with.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

10 Cloverfield Lane

Loved it until...

Comment

10 Cloverfield was ok. The ending was awful. Felt way too M. Night Shamylan. Glad I watched it on a flight instead of wasting my time at home.
                              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                10 Cloverfield Lane

Loved it until...
                                Regarding until:

I was OK with it. When the two captives were grousing about Goodman and neither mentioned "Martians, so, you know, cuckoo," I got what was happening. It actually makes the first 90% of the movie even more interesting to know the context.

It was a little too "I learned something today," what with her running away from everything in her life and now finally running towards trouble. But I liked her character (really, all the characters) so much that I forgave them.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X