Page 1 of 51 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1001

Thread: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

  1. #1
    Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...
    Posts
    5,164

    MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Went and saw THE ACCOUNTANT this afternoon. Well worth the price of admission. It's a solid B/B+.

    I saw it as a "thinking man's" Jason Bourne. The movie takes a long look at how Ben Affleck's character deals with his Autism. None of that was a negative however and showed Christian Wolfe as a very strong character. Not a lot of action, but what is there is solid. Anna Kendrick is solid in her supporting role. John Lithgow was the only "Needs Improvement" mark, but that is partially on the script.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

    Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

    Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

    Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

  2. #2
    Five Thousand Candles in the Wind!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    32,571

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Went and saw THE ACCOUNTANT this afternoon. Well worth the price of admission. It's a solid B/B+.

    I saw it as a "thinking man's" Jason Bourne. The movie takes a long look at how Ben Affleck's character deals with his Autism. None of that was a negative however and showed Christian Wolfe as a very strong character. Not a lot of action, but what is there is solid. Anna Kendrick is solid in her supporting role. John Lithgow was the only "Needs Improvement" mark, but that is partially on the script.
    I liked it a lot...I thought the ending was a lot of fun and I think Affleck did a great job.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    5,676

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    I finally got around to watching the documentary Weiner this past weekend. I thought it was worth the time. Very interesting behind the scenes type movie.

    I found my reaction to the movie interesting. First, I actually started to acknowledge, at some level, a small amount of respect for the guy. Once you have made yourself a joke, publicly, it has to be hard to put yourself out there in the very public eye, day after day.

    But about every 15 minutes I was also left with the inescapable feeling that Weiner needs to be punched in the face. Hard. Daily. But then I started to realize that maybe it's just New Yorkers that need to be punched in the face, daily. What an obnoxious, loathsome group of people. The name calling. The arguing and shouting.

    No wonder Weiner wasn't struck by the inappropriateness of texting photos of his junk. As a New Yorker he basically spent every day of his life whipping it out in public as he argued "mine's bigger than yours."

    But probably the most memorable scene for me is his discussion in the car with his press secretary. She is reading her phone and telling Weiner that a certain reporter is just looking for answers to two or three questions. They are basic questions, like how many women did you send pictures to, and when did you stop sending pictures.

    To watch Weiner dissemble is, I fear, a telling picture of American politics today.

    He sits there staring out the window, replaying the various lies he has told in response to those questions in the past, softly verbalizing them for the audience. The problem, he notes, is that a few years earlier when the first scandal broke, he said one thing. Then, as he threw his hat in the ring for Mayor and gave a bunch of interviews, he said something else, which as he verbalizes he "walked back" slightly in later interviews. But now the new reports from women are coming out and so he is sitting there trying to figure out the "answer" without ever, for once, just thinking, "hey, maybe I should just tell the truth."
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    between Scylla and Charybdis
    Posts
    8,411

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    I watched Maleficent the other day, and was very pleasantly surprised: what a charming, delightful movie!

    I had misgivings going it, despite hearing that it received good reviews: it is a Disney movie telling the story of Sleeping Beauty from the point of view of the "person" who cursed Aurora, starring Angelina Jolie and Elle Fanning. It was clever and inventive, not at all what one might expect from that setup. Both leads were very good in their roles.



    You probably do not want to watch this movie with young children; it is more for tweens and teens, if not also young adults who want to enjoy a throwback day to simpler times. A good daddy-daughter flick.


    My only criticism is that, after they did such a great job with the buildup, is that they rushed the ending a bit. Otherwise, as Siskel and Ebert would have said, two thumbs up!
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

    "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

    "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

  5. #5
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    62,276

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Dr. Strange.

    Fantastic Film. Great addition to the universe. Tied in nicely with 3 upcoming Universe films. Can't say I disliked anything about it. Seeing it in 3D was a treat.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  6. #6
    Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...
    Posts
    5,164

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Dr. Strange.

    Fantastic Film. Great addition to the universe. Tied in nicely with 3 upcoming Universe films. Can't say I disliked anything about it. Seeing it in 3D was a treat.
    Agreed... IMAX 3D was well worth the upcharge. Loved how Scott Derrickson took Steve Ditko's artistic style of the late 60's and translated it to modern, 3D CGI perfectly.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

    Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

    Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

    Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

  7. #7
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    24,345

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I finally got around to watching the documentary Weiner this past weekend. I thought it was worth the time. Very interesting behind the scenes type movie.

    I found my reaction to the movie interesting. First, I actually started to acknowledge, at some level, a small amount of respect for the guy. Once you have made yourself a joke, publicly, it has to be hard to put yourself out there in the very public eye, day after day.

    But about every 15 minutes I was also left with the inescapable feeling that Weiner needs to be punched in the face. Hard. Daily. But then I started to realize that maybe it's just New Yorkers that need to be punched in the face, daily. What an obnoxious, loathsome group of people. The name calling. The arguing and shouting.

    No wonder Weiner wasn't struck by the inappropriateness of texting photos of his junk. As a New Yorker he basically spent every day of his life whipping it out in public as he argued "mine's bigger than yours."

    But probably the most memorable scene for me is his discussion in the car with his press secretary. She is reading her phone and telling Weiner that a certain reporter is just looking for answers to two or three questions. They are basic questions, like how many women did you send pictures to, and when did you stop sending pictures.

    To watch Weiner dissemble is, I fear, a telling picture of American politics today.

    He sits there staring out the window, replaying the various lies he has told in response to those questions in the past, softly verbalizing them for the audience. The problem, he notes, is that a few years earlier when the first scandal broke, he said one thing. Then, as he threw his hat in the ring for Mayor and gave a bunch of interviews, he said something else, which as he verbalizes he "walked back" slightly in later interviews. But now the new reports from women are coming out and so he is sitting there trying to figure out the "answer" without ever, for once, just thinking, "hey, maybe I should just tell the truth."
    I didn't even know there was a doc. Thanks.

    Now I have to decide whether or not I can tolerate 90 straight minutes of him on the screen.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  8. #8
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    28,882

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Saw an ad on a movie channel her for a movie called Arena with Samuel L. The preview made it look worthy of the SyFy channel at best. Out of curiosity I googled it and it rates as poorly as it looked. How does Samuel L in 2011 get into a movie that bad? That's not to say he hasn't been in turds before, but this one looks like it was a joke project from the get go.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    29,529

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Was looking through YouTube last night and 8thManDVD.com has posted a huge collection of Looney Tunes cartoons.

    They're very good quality.

  10. #10
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    109,178

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Saw an ad on a movie channel her for a movie called Arena with Samuel L. The preview made it look worthy of the SyFy channel at best. Out of curiosity I googled it and it rates as poorly as it looked. How does Samuel L in 2011 get into a movie that bad? That's not to say he hasn't been in turds before, but this one looks like it was a joke project from the get go.
    Much like Walken, he will do whatever for a paycheck.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    888

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    If you have a chance, see Hacksaw Ridge this weekend. It is the true story of American hero Desmond T. Doss, brilliantly played by Andrew Garfield. Yes, it was directed by Mel Gibson, but the movie is perhaps the best of the year. It is also accurate, not like Braveheart or other "based on the true story" flicks. I looked up the movie portrayals vs the actual material documented in his Medal of Honor records and the documentary of his life. If anything, his bravery is underplayed because he was too humble to accept it. His commanding officer estimates that he brought over 100 soldiers down off Hacksaw Ridge but settled on 75 after Doss objected. The only "fabrication" is that the men in his unit at the beginning are primarily combined into a few for the sake of storytelling. Without getting political, with all the bitterness and acrimony ripping this country apart right now, an inspirational story of an authentic war hero is exactly what we need.

  12. #12
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    16,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Much like Walken, he will do whatever for a paycheck.
    Yeah Sam has had a few stinkers. Plus, how surprised can you be? He did Snakes On A Plane.

  13. #13
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    28,882

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Yeah Sam has had a few stinkers. Plus, how surprised can you be? He did Snakes On A Plane.
    True but that whole thing was tongue-in-cheek. This one looked like it was a serious effort.

  14. #14
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    109,178

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    True but that whole thing was tongue-in-cheek. This one looked like it was a serious effort.
    It happens. *shrug*
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    49,980

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Dr. Strange.

    Cumberbund was great, Tilda was great, all the other actors were lame. Somewhere under the waterfall of CGI goo there is a good movie. But all the geewhizery is busy and even annoying, and obscures most of the martial arts fun.

    Unlike most Marvel movies, the quieter scenes were well-written and well-acted, and this was certainly a smarter and more adult movie than they usually do.

    Call it a B. Strip out half the goo and it gets near an A minus.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  16. #16
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    28,831

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    I saw Doctor Strange today too, brother had an extra ticket. I liked it, didn't love it. It was good to see someone struggle with the idea of changing who and what he is and learning to accept certain other realities of life outside of the obvious needed for a comic book hero role.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  17. #17
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    28,831

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Much like Walken, he will do whatever for a paycheck.
    He flat out says in interviews that he likes money.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  18. #18
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    28,831

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    If you have a chance, see Hacksaw Ridge this weekend. It is the true story of American hero Desmond T. Doss, brilliantly played by Andrew Garfield. Yes, it was directed by Mel Gibson, but the movie is perhaps the best of the year. It is also accurate, not like Braveheart or other "based on the true story" flicks. I looked up the movie portrayals vs the actual material documented in his Medal of Honor records and the documentary of his life. If anything, his bravery is underplayed because he was too humble to accept it. His commanding officer estimates that he brought over 100 soldiers down off Hacksaw Ridge but settled on 75 after Doss objected. The only "fabrication" is that the men in his unit at the beginning are primarily combined into a few for the sake of storytelling. Without getting political, with all the bitterness and acrimony ripping this country apart right now, an inspirational story of an authentic war hero is exactly what we need.
    I made it a rare two-movie weekend at the theater today. I cannot recommend this movie highly enough.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  19. #19
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    109,178

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I made it a rare two-movie weekend at the theater today. I cannot recommend this movie highly enough.
    Gonna wait for this one on Netflix, because I have a feeling a dust storm will appear as I'm watching it.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  20. #20
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    28,831

    Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Gonna wait for this one on Netflix, because I have a feeling a dust storm will appear as I'm watching it.
    It's not a tearjerker movie, IMO. The love story aspect of him meeting his girlfriend takes place early, and it's more of a happy, chuckling process as the story's told. Gibson doesn't make any single soldier's death more important than the story as a whole. This is a story to honor and show great respect for a man who performed a series of tremendous acts in the midst of a horrendous battle.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •