Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State vs Bowling Green - That team not quite up North!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State vs Bowling Green - That team not quite up North!

Well week 2 is behind us now and we have an away & home series with BG.
    Ohio State is 1-0-2 and BG is 0-3-1 excluding exhibition. I think Ohio State will have the edge over their former CCHA rival but we shall see.
    I'd love to see Friday's game at BG but don't know if I can fit it in my schedule.

Re: Ohio State vs Bowling Green - That team not quite up North!

Ohio State needs this as a sweep to try and break back into the rankings.

Comment

I doubt if we sweep. Despite their slow start, BG has a lot of guys back from last year's team that swept us, and they were actually picked to win the WCHA this season. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
        I doubt if we sweep. Despite their slow start, BG has a lot of guys back from last year's team that swept us, and they were actually picked to win the WCHA this season. We'll see what happens.
        Bowling Green's best performance thus far with regular season games is their 4-4 tie with Western. Other than that I'm just not seeing it.
        They may have a lot of people returning but they seem to be off to a slow start this season so unless they jell quickly I feel decent about us sweeping them as we return a lot of starters as well.
        And if we played them later in the season last year we probably would have done a lot better as previously we tended to slow start our seasons.

Comment

BG is a train wreck right now.

1) They have been unable to adjust to the new tighter obstruction penalty enforcement. This has lead to an unbelievable 70 minutes in penalties taken in just 4 games.
          2) After taking these penalties they have not been able to stop teams from scoring on the ensuing PP, many times taking another penalty to go down 5 on 3. WMU was 6 for 10 on Saturday in Kalamazoo.
          3) Their goaltenders have been beyond poor. Nell made 1 save(on 3 shots) in the 3rd period on Friday in a game they blew a 2 goal lead with with under 10 minutes to play. He was benched Saturday and the two other goalies promptly couldn't stop a beach ball giving up 5 goals on 9 shots in the first 30 minutes.

Until they can move their feet and stop taking lazy penalties I see none of this getting better.

I imagine OSU will come out of Friday, play very up tempo and just try to skate BG into the ice in an attempt to continue their penalty trend.....at least that is what I would do if I was Ohio State.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
            BG is a train wreck right now.

1) They have been unable to adjust to the new tighter obstruction penalty enforcement. This has lead to an unbelievable 70 minutes in penalties taken in just 4 games.
            2) After taking these penalties they have not been able to stop teams from scoring on the ensuing PP, many times taking another penalty to go down 5 on 3. WMU was 6 for 10 on Saturday in Kalamazoo.
            3) Their goaltenders have been beyond poor. Nell made 1 save(on 3 shots) in the 3rd period on Friday in a game they blew a 2 goal lead with with under 10 minutes to play. He was benched Saturday and the two other goalies promptly couldn't stop a beach ball giving up 5 goals on 9 shots in the first 30 minutes.

Until they can move their feet and stop taking lazy penalties I see none of this getting better.

I imagine OSU will come out of Friday, play very up tempo and just try to skate BG into the ice in an attempt to continue their penalty trend.....at least that is what I would do if I was Ohio State.
            Ohio State has struggles with penalties as well. A 5 on 3 at Miami cost them the outright win.
            I can't say with any certainty that it's tighter calling that's getting us in the box as we had penalties last year as well that were ill timed to say the least.
            You will always have some legit calls, some ticky tac and some simply bad calls, that's the nature of hockey. But if a team can have good discipline to eliminate a lot of the calls then that can be a game changer towards getting the win! That's where I think Ohio State's best room for improvement lays.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              Bowling Green's best performance thus far with regular season games is their 4-4 tie with Western. Other than that I'm just not seeing it.
              They may have a lot of people returning but they seem to be off to a slow start this season so unless they jell quickly I feel decent about us sweeping them as we return a lot of starters as well.
              And if we played them later in the season last year we probably would have done a lot better as previously we tended to slow start our seasons.
              Hope you are right. If we want to move up in the polls, we have to sweep an unranked, 0-3-1 Bowling Green team. Anything less than that and we might even drop in the polls. Losing or tying unranked teams doesn't impress the voters.

Comment

Hope you are right. If we want to move up in the polls, we have to sweep an unranked, 0-3-1 Bowling Green team. Anything less than that and we might even drop in the polls. Losing or tying unranked teams doesn't impress the voters.
                Favorites in hockey polls always get an advantage. There are FIVE teams with two losses who are ranked and we have no losses and are unranked and the only reason for it those are teams with a long history of being competitive and ranked and that's the ONLY reason a two loss team gets the favoritism.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
                  I'd imagine the crowd will factor into this as well on Friday. This game will probably sell out with a full student section, so the atmosphere should be electric. If BG can tap into that energy in the first 10 minutes like they did against Western, hopefully they can set the tempo for all 60 minutes and hold on for a win. Combine an early goal with 5000 screaming fans, a low metal roof, and a ship horn, and hopefully the Bucks will get a feeling of being too overwhelmed that carries through all 60 minutes as well.
                  BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

The polls mean almost nothing at this point in time other than something to look at on Mondays while waiting for the next weekend. Even a series split here is not that damaging if BG rights their ship and plays they way they were expected to do the rest of the season.

What I'm interested in seeing is if this Ohio State team can finally build a home ice advantage. They have played poorly at home the last couple of seasons, and have played better on the road. There's not much hope if they can't win at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                      What I'm interested in seeing is if this Ohio State team can finally build a home ice advantage. They have played poorly at home the last couple of seasons, and have played better on the road. There's not much hope if they can't win at home.
                      Critical Thinker has a valid point about the crowd being a motivational factor at a home game. Yes our barn is huge but with Columbus thinking they're a "hockey Town" because of the Blue Jokers they are sadly mistaken because they sure aren't jumping to have a fun hockey experience with the family that's truly affordable at Ohio State.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                        Critical Thinker has a valid point about the crowd being a motivational factor at a home game. Yes our barn is huge but with Columbus thinking they're a "hockey Town" because of the Blue Jokers they are sadly mistaken because they sure aren't jumping to have a fun hockey experience with the family that's truly affordable at Ohio State.
                        I totally agree with your point about OSU hockey games and have never understood why fans will spend big bucks to go watch the NHL's version of the Cleveland Browns, but they won't spend $15 to watch the Bucks. Mrs 86 is a BG grad so we have been to the BGSU Ice Arena countless times. The atmosphere there totally blows away our atmosphere of having a few thousand fans in an arena that seats 17,500 for hockey. Having said that, I sincerely doubt if this team gets "overwhelmed" by any atmosphere, having played games at venues like Yost Ice Arena, the Kohl Center, Mariucci Arena, etc.. I also agree with Draighlicht's point regarding this team needing to protect its own ice. This losing at home crap has to stop. Championship-caliber teams win at home.

Comment

I totally agree with your point about OSU hockey games and have never understood why fans will spend big bucks to go watch the NHL's version of the Cleveland Browns, but they won't spend $15 to watch the Bucks. Mrs 86 is a BG grad so we have been to the BGSU Ice Arena countless times. The atmosphere there totally blows away our atmosphere of having a few thousand fans in an arena that seats 17,500 for hockey. Having said that, I sincerely doubt if this team gets "overwhelmed" by any atmosphere, having played games at venues like Yost Ice Arena, the Kohl Center, Mariucci Arena, etc.. I also agree with Draighlicht's point regarding this team needing to protect its own ice. This losing at home crap has to stop. Championship-caliber teams win at home.
                          If they are overwhelmed by BG crowd on Friday this team isnt what we thought they were. They have played in much tougher places than that although the Ice Arena can be intimidating but not as much as Yost or Mariucci

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                            If they are overwhelmed by BG crowd on Friday this team isnt what we thought they were. They have played in much tougher places than that although the Ice Arena can be intimidating but not as much as Yost or Mariucci
                            At least BG fans won't be obnoxious like Miami fans. Even Michigan fans aren't that bad and that's saying a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                              Totally agree. If this team is who we think they are (NCAA Tournament contender), they shouldn't be overwhelmed by any crowds. I am sure BGSU Ice Arena will be rocking this Friday. It will be good for them to play in that type of atmosphere. Wish I could get up there for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X