Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Going into the two games not many Gopher fans would have put money on the team losing to Northeastern and then coming back to beat BC. Most, including me, would have guessed the opposite.
    agreed. I have no idea how Schierhorn played on Sunday. It was good enough to win, but it sounds like he had a real bonehead play to end the 1st when he tripped a BC player with his stick and drew a minor.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      agreed. I have no idea how Schierhorn played on Sunday. It was good enough to win, but it sounds like he had a real bonehead play to end the 1st when he tripped a BC player with his stick and drew a minor.
      I was sitting at the opposite end of the arena, so I didn't get a good view of the play. There was a scrum in front of the net and we didn't know the call was on Schierhorn until the beginning of the 2nd period.

Overall, he was Good Schierhorn today and made some good saves and re-directed rebounds the way he should. Overall, I would say he played pretty darn good.

Comment

With the chaos of our season, we might just break the PWR.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Thread slipped to the third page after the rollercoaster of a weekend. Points not horrible, play not encouraging.

It makes MSU (who is 3-0-1 over the last 4, including a visit to UND) series seem pretty challenging. And if we cannot sweep a team like MSU on the road, it seems unlikely we'll be winning the league again. How's that for a Monday morning pick me up?
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            Points not horrible, play not encouraging.
            Concise & accurate summary, right on the money.

It makes MSU (who is 3-0-1 over the last 4, including a visit to UND) series seem pretty challenging.
            The way the season has gone so far, every B1G series looks to be challenging, even at home.

And if we cannot sweep a team like MSU on the road, it seems unlikely we'll be winning the league again.
            Right now I'd put the odds of that happening around 40%. Even that may be optimistic, with Saturday's game still fresh in my mind.

How's that for a Monday morning pick me up?
            One can only hope you won't have to dish out another one next Monday morning.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I am curious about a rule. Is there a rule against changing players if a team clears the puck over the boards in their own end? Seems like a couple times a game when a team is gassed and just trying to get a break, they try to dump it from a position from which it would be just about as easy to put it out of the rink. If there is a rule against a change in this case, I can understand why they wouldn't; at least dumping it down the ice might not always result in an icing and a face-off in your own end if you don't clear it all the way. But if there is no such rule, it seems like the most important thing is to get new guys out, even if it means an own zone face-off. (Same result as a goalie freezing a puck to allow his team to change.) Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                I am curious about a rule. Is there a rule against changing players if a team clears the puck over the boards in their own end? Seems like a couple times a game when a team is gassed and just trying to get a break, they try to dump it from a position from which it would be just about as easy to put it out of the rink. If there is a rule against a change in this case, I can understand why they wouldn't; at least dumping it down the ice might not always result in an icing and a face-off in your own end if you don't clear it all the way. But if there is no such rule, it seems like the most important thing is to get new guys out, even if it means an own zone face-off. (Same result as a goalie freezing a puck to allow his team to change.) Anyone?
                You can be penalized for delay of game if the referee judges it was shot out of play on purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  You can be penalized for delay of game if the referee judges it was shot out of play on purpose.
                  And of course in the pros it isn't left up to the referee's judgement. It is always a two minute delay of game regardless of intent.

Comment

Yes, if there is no deflection you are not allowed to change players. I think this only applies in your defensive zone, but am not positive.

Comment

Kind of hard to argue with the performance last night. The first 8-10 minutes weren't great, but it was pretty much non-stop dominance from then on out.

Would have liked to see Schierhorn do better on that 1st goal.
                      Would have liked to see Glover just make the simple play that was available rather than making it difficult and coughing the puck up on the 2nd goal.
                      And of course a PP goal would have put that game away. But that was about as good a PP not resulting in a goal that I have seen in a long while (except for that final one which was underwhelming).

Other than that, lets see this kind of performance again today.

Comment

Great summary, Stauber1. Let's see if they can maintain that same intensity level tonight, FOR ALL THREE PERIODS!

GO GOPHERS!

Comment

Well you know the old adage - split at home and sweep on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Well you know the old adage - split at home and sweep on the road.
                            Although frustrating for the home team fans, if they managed to do that every weekend, come March we'd be in pretty good shape!
                            I couldn't watch tonight's game live as I had a mandatory "dinner date", but I did turn on the DVR as soon as I got home. Nice win! I loved how the Gophers competed all the way through, and were able to come back after digging themselves a 0-2 hole. I was also encouraged by Shierhorn's play, as he seemed focused all three periods and made the saves he should have made. All in all a great way to put a cap on the first half.

Comment

So, 9-5-2 at the break playing the 10th toughest schedule according to RPI.
                              When gauged against preseason expectations, not too shabby.

Coming into the season my expectations were: win the Big 10 and make the NCAA Tournament.
                              They are definitely in position to accomplish the latter.
                              They are also still in position for the former, although OSU is the team that seemed most likely to compete with them for the title and the Gophers missed an opportunity to get points against them at home - and PSU looks to be stronger than anticipated and also in the mix for that league title.

The issues for this Gopher team definitely are defensively and in goal. The defense is young, but I'm not sure the defensive issues mainly fall on the D corp.
                              The goaltending is what is most worrisome, for me. Schierhorn clearly has the ability, but he seems to be in a mental funk that is persisting, and it's entirely clear that they don't have anyone else to take the reigns. And goaltending has cost them results against SCSU, UND and NU. Yes, it's not quite that simple as Schierhorn also played a huge role in the win against UND, and the rest of the team really tanked in the 3rd period of that Friday night game against SCSU, but the point remains that if goaltending had been better in a select few games this could be a team that has only lost 3 out of 16 against a very quality schedule.

I'm wondering why Kautz has never been given the nod over Lehr. Obviously the coaching staff has much more exposure to his tools and abilities, but he had a pretty impressive run his last year in the NAHL. Personally, if Schierhorn continues to struggle, I'd like to see Kautz given an opportunity to show what he can do in game situation.

But, hopefully this break will do Schierhorn some good and he can come back and elevate his play to where it was last year (or even, dare I dream, a step above).
                              Last edited by Stauber1; 12-11-2016, 12:35 AM.

Comment

(Page 3???) So Notermann looked ok. Someone was telling me he was originally redshirted. I hadn't hear that. Anyone else?

Comment

Working...
                                X