Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Originally posted by Koho View Post
    So I couldn't watch live and my recording ended in the 2nd OT before the game ended.
    Same thing happened to me! Added an hour to when the game was supposed to be over and it still wasn't enough. By then I was getting tired (watched the Gopher women get beat first - what a bad weekend for Gopher sports!) so when the DVR gave out I checked USCHO to find the score before finally heading to bed. I wasn't surprised to see Penn State coming up with the winner because like SteveO says we were getting totally outplayed. To me it looked like Penn State just wanted it more. Yes, we missed on some great chances to win it, but Penn State had many more. If the Gophers play like that in the NCAA's it could very well be a one and done affair. You certainly can't expect Schierhorn to come up with 59 saves to keep it close against anybody.
    Last edited by D2D; 03-18-2017, 11:38 AM.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

A couple of other thoughts.

I thought Glover did a better-than-expected job of filling in for Lindgren. He did however make at least two terrible decisions trying to pass the puck across center ice in his own zone (fortunately neither one led to a Penn State goal). And shame on Dan Kelly for not knowing it was Glover who was inserted into the lineup; he said it was Sadek at least twice.

Second observation: Ben Clymer drives me crazy! I've gotten to the point where I just tune him out when he starts rambling on and on. It's like he starts talking before knowing where he's headed with it and ends up talking nonsense and not making a relevant point. Why the various networks can't find someone far less annoying is beyond me, /end of rant.

Comment

I am not a big complainer but yeah, Clymer. The announcer is a dud too. Thirdly, I too set my DVR for 1 extra hour and I too was too tired & just checked the score and hit the hay.
        It's hard to complain about a 59 save night but did anyone here notice the schier amount ( sorry, I had to do that ) of juicy rebounds he was giving up, especially in the first period? It was crazy. This team can be really good but has a certain lack of identity, partially because of inconsistency, but there is something else I can't identify. I'll be surprised if they make any NCAA noise.
        You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

With Western Michigan losing to Denver today the Gophers are now back to No. 4 in the PWR, while the Broncos slip to No. 5.
          At No. 6 is BU, and they are done playing.
          Lowell is No. 7, and they host BC tonight in their last game. Question: if Lowell wins, do they leapfrog BU, Western Michigan and potentially the Gophers and climb all the way to No. 4?

Sorry if this has already been addressed in another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            With Western Michigan losing to Denver today the Gophers are now back to No. 4 in the PWR, while the Broncos slip to No. 5.
            At No. 6 is BU, and they are done playing.
            Lowell is No. 7, and they host BC tonight in their last game. Question: if Lowell wins, do they leapfrog BU, Western Michigan and potentially the Gophers and climb all the way to No. 4?

Sorry if this has already been addressed in another thread.
            Yes, potentially.

The way I have it figured, for the Gophers to stay a #1 seed they need 1 of these 3 things to happen:

- BC beat Lowell
            - UND beat UMD
            - Penn St. beat Wisconsin AND (Air Force beat Robert Morris) or (Harvard beat Cornell)

If none of those happen, The Gophers will almost certainly will be playing UND in Fargo.
            Last edited by Stauber1; 03-18-2017, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Since my post just above I've been playing with the Pairwise Predictor and see the results vary depending on other results to be decided tonight also, specifically BC (who we beat and therefore want to win) and UND (who we tied and beat and want to beat UMD, who we lost to and therefore want to lose). Then in the conference it would help if Penn State won (4-1 against them) vs. Wisconsin (2-2). Anyway my amateur efforts show that we can finish anywhere from No. 4 to 6 depending on how these other games go.

Maybe someone who's more up on the PWR than I am (wouldn't take much!) would care to chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                Yes, potentially.

The way I have it figured, for the Gophers to stay a #1 seed they need 1 of these 3 things to happen:

- BC beat Lowell
                - UND beat UMD
                - Penn St. beat Wisconsin AND Air Force beat Robert Morris

If none of those happen, The Gophers will almost certainly will be playing UND in Fargo.
                Thanks, didn't see you posted before I added mine above. I hate having to cheer for the Hawks, but I'd rather not go to Fargo and play them in front of their huge crowd (they are hot all of a sudden also).

So go EAGLES!

Edit: Watching now at http://www.espn.com/watch/player?bucketId=9&id=3035504
                Last edited by D2D; 03-18-2017, 07:07 PM.

Comment

I know there's the proverbial, got nothing to play for. But the guys have been pretty uninspired. When we went to PSU and were fighting for the B1G title, we would not be denied. Since then, a loss to MI, a tie with MSU and a loss to PSU - 2-2-1 against a pretty lackluster field. We'll find the story out soon enough.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Yes, potentially.

- BC beat Lowell
                    - UND beat UMD
                    - Penn St. beat Wisconsin AND Air Force beat Robert Morris

In other words, its BC and UND.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      In other words, its BC and UND.
                      BC down 2-4 vs. Lowell toward the end of period 2.
                      PSU and Wisco scoreless toward the end of period 1.
                      Air Force leading Robbie Morris 2-1 end of 2.

Comment

A Penn St. + Harvard win also keeps the Gophers at #4 overall

Comment

A Penn St. + Harvard win also keeps the Gophers at #4 overall
                          Harvard has a 1-0 lead in the 2nd and Penn St. is up 1-0 at the end of one.
                          Air Force continues to lead RM 2-1 middle of the 3rd.

Comment

Air Force beats Robert Morris (2-1) and Penn State continues to lead the Badgers 1-0, now with 8:00 to go in the 2nd. But with last night's two overtime game, can they hang on?

Comment

BC hits the crossbar with seconds to go, but Lowell hangs on to win 4-3. For the first time in 8 years the Eagles do no make the NCAA Tournament.

Comment

With UMD jumping to a 3-1 lead over UND it would appear now that our fate (No. 1 seed) rests with Penn State hanging on to beat Wisconsin. They carry a 1-0 lead into the 3rd.

Comment

Working...
                                X