Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
    Nice article on Casey Mittelstadt. He's the complete package of speed, skill, and hockey sense with a high compete level. Projected to go in first round of the NHL draft. Gophers will be saying goodbye to a productive senior class, but the "reload" looks pretty exciting.
    Two things that stood out to mi in CM article; 1 Parents wanted him to accelerate and leave early. 2. He was passed up on some elite type teams as recently as 8th grade.

To me, the second one is the biggest contributor to parity and why the MN's and BC's and UND's are maybe going to be less consistently a contender. Top tier teams are signing kids as Sophmores on the chance they turn into a Mittlestedt and to make sure they aren't on a competitors team. Some of these kids will reach that potential and some plateau. Meanwhile, the recruiting class is full when that occasional kid who accelerates beyond what they thought was his potential early and teams like Union, etc. are there to pick him up. A number of kids accelerate over a couple years and a few plateau and the Gophs have a struggle to make the tourney while Union is in the Final Four. I am not arguing for a change in recruiting strategies. The star kids who can single-handedly win some games will still usually come from the early recruit. I am just saying that I think it is a reality that us fans should except. A year like last year will probably happen more frequently that it did back in the years when MN would get a commit from MR. hockey after he was named Mr. hockey in his senior year. So jumping on the coaching staff, as is the standard for a few people, isn't necessarily the answer.

It will be interesting to see how next years class looks into the season. Stats don't tell the whole story, but it seems like two years ago next year's class looked very good, even without CM. Not that it isn't still good, but it seems like a number of the recruits don't have the numbers people were expecting. (Maybe they'll all be like REM and just had one adjustment year at their current level.)

But I guess, just because they had a loss against a team they should have swept, and are therefore chasing Wisconsin for the season title, I shouldn't be looking forward to next year just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
      Two things that stood out to mi in CM article; 1 Parents wanted him to accelerate and leave early. 2. He was passed up on some elite type teams as recently as 8th grade.

To me, the second one is the biggest contributor to parity and why the MN's and BC's and UND's are maybe going to be less consistently a contender. Top tier teams are signing kids as Sophmores on the chance they turn into a Mittlestedt and to make sure they aren't on a competitors team. Some of these kids will reach that potential and some plateau. Meanwhile, the recruiting class is full when that occasional kid who accelerates beyond what they thought was his potential early and teams like Union, etc. are there to pick him up. A number of kids accelerate over a couple years and a few plateau and the Gophs have a struggle to make the tourney while Union is in the Final Four. I am not arguing for a change in recruiting strategies. The star kids who can single-handedly win some games will still usually come from the early recruit. I am just saying that I think it is a reality that us fans should except. A year like last year will probably happen more frequently that it did back in the years when MN would get a commit from MR. hockey after he was named Mr. hockey in his senior year. So jumping on the coaching staff, as is the standard for a few people, isn't necessarily the answer.

It will be interesting to see how next years class looks into the season. Stats don't tell the whole story, but it seems like two years ago next year's class looked very good, even without CM. Not that it isn't still good, but it seems like a number of the recruits don't have the numbers people were expecting. (Maybe they'll all be like REM and just had one adjustment year at their current level.)

But I guess, just because they had a loss against a team they should have swept, and are therefore chasing Wisconsin for the season title, I shouldn't be looking forward to next year just yet.
      To your point, recruiting has become a bit of an "arms race" in college hockey among top college hockey programs. A highly esteemed hockey tradition can be the competitive driver of a recruiting strategy that locks kids in as young as 14-15. Another reason is Major Juniors are also in hot pursuit recruiting skilled kids at that age. Indeed, trying to predict which 15-year-olds will be top players at age 18 or 19 sometimes has the probability of a crap shoot. I blame Jack Johnson.

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily have used JJ as an example of a lightning rod for this subject. That kid was locked into UMi from an early age despite the fact his dad won a NC at UW. (I worked with his dad at the time Jack committed and we had conversations on what went into his decision). But I digress...

Comment

To intimate that the early recruitment movement in college hockey began with JJ is a bit much. Therefore my "". As far as his Father (and Mother) is concerned, he should write a book entitled, "How I turned my son's multi-million dollar NHL fortune into $25 in cash". ARTICLE

Comment

We could have three 20 goal scorers this season.

Scoring totals Gm G A Pts Pts/Gm

Tyler Sheehy ,34 20 32 52 1.5294
            Justin Kloos ...34 17 24 41 1.2059
            Vinni Lettieri ..34 18 17 35 1.0294

When was the last time that happened?

Comment

We could have three 20 goal scorers this season.

Tyler Sheehy ,34 20 32 52 1.5294
              Justin Kloos ...34 17 24 41 1.2059
              Vinni Lettieri ..34 18 17 35 1.0294

When was the last time that happened?
              I'm bored this morning lol!

Unless I missed one along the way, it looks like '01-'02:

John Pohl ,44 27 52 79 1.7955
              Jeff Taffe ...43 34 24 58 1.3488
              Jordan Leopold ..44 20 28 48 1.0909
              "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                I'm bored this morning lol!

Unless I missed one along the way, it looks like '01-'02:

John Pohl ,44 27 52 79 1.7955
                Jeff Taffe ...43 34 24 58 1.3488
                Jordan Leopold ..44 20 28 48 1.0909
                You win Wes!! Who do I make the check out to?

Comment

You win Wes!! Who do I make the check out to?
                  I'll send you a PM
                  "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I know that high school hockey is huge in Minnesota with I believe two divisions. Overall, which division has the most talent and the most competition? Or is there much difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                      I know that high school hockey is huge in Minnesota with I believe two divisions. Overall, which division has the most talent and the most competition? Or is there much difference?
                      Typically Class AA has more talent and the difference is significant. In fact, several schools that could play in the smaller school division opt up to the large school tourney. Among those who opt up are Hill-Murray, St. Thomas Academy, & Roseau.

The small school tourney is Wednesday (today) quarter-finals, Friday afternoon semi-finals, and Saturday afternoon final.
                      The large school tourney is Thursday quarter-finals, Friday evening semi-finals, and Saturday evening finals.
                      All the above games are at The X. Third place games are also at the X and before their classes respective title game.

Consolation games are all at Mariucci, Class A on Thursday afternoon, Class AA on Friday afternoon and both consolation finals on Saturday afternoon.
                      Hope this helps!

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                      Twenty red lights in his honor
                      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                        Typically Class AA has more talent and the difference is significant. In fact, several schools that could play in the smaller school division opt up to the large school tourney. Among those who opt up are Hill-Murray, St. Thomas Academy, & Roseau & GRAND RAPIDS. (Teams that should opt up but are too chicken include; Hermantown.)

The small school tourney is Wednesday (today) quarter-finals, Friday afternoon semi-finals, and Saturday afternoon final.
                        The large school tourney is Thursday quarter-finals, Friday evening semi-finals, and Saturday evening finals.
                        All the above games are at The X. Third place games are also at the X and before their classes respective title game.

Consolation games are all at Mariucci, Class A on Thursday afternoon, Class AA on Friday afternoon and both consolation finals on Saturday afternoon.
                        Hope this helps!
                        fyp

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                          Typically Class AA has more talent and the difference is significant. In fact, several schools that could play in the smaller school division opt up to the large school tourney. Among those who opt up are Hill-Murray, St. Thomas Academy, & Roseau.

Hope this helps!
                          Perfect. Just the information I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to explain it. I tried finding it online but couldn't find the answers to my questions.

Comment

My memory sucks, so maybe GE or someone can refresh it. Someone asked me how the Tier Two Tourney format worked the first two years and I could not remember. How were the 2nd tier teams chosen?

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                              My memory sucks, so maybe GE or someone can refresh it. Someone asked me how the Tier Two Tourney format worked the first two years and I could not remember. How were the 2nd tier teams chosen?
                              Wasn't it by seed? the first group (I don't know, say 64 teams) were the top tier, and all the rest were bottom tier. it really was stupid.
                              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

a fun read

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/07...y-state-title/

I think Red Wing should count as Southern Minnesota, too.
                                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Working...
                                X