• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
    Schedules:

Minnesota: vs Wisc, Mich and MSU
    Wisconsin: vs Minn, OSU, PSU

Which means that, a split this week (and we should actually get more than that) leaves us 3 points ahead with 4 to play, and we have the schedule advantage. So, BIG championship looks very doable.

NCAAs: Jim Dahl at collegehockeyranked.com says Minnesota will likely head to the BIG Tournament as a #1 Regional Seed with 5 wins. That also seems very doable.
    UW has always had a difficult scheduling finish. For that reason prior to the weekend, PSU was actually our main competition. The sweep was 'uge for our chance at another B1G banner and top seed in the B1G's.

Edit: nice find Bonin...

Gopher recruit Casey Middelstadt:

https://***********/Rossleivermann/s...84184643215360
    Last edited by 5mn_Major; 02-20-2017, 11:35 AM.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

To be clear, my earlier post on this page meant to say:
      5 wins before the BIG tourney should make the Gophers enter the BIG at 4th in the PWR or better. That is, they would go into the BIG as a #1 NCAA tourney seed.

As to the question: What if they don't win it?
      Well, in that case, first, do the win the semi and lose the final? Or, lose the semi?

Some things depend on who they play. Assuming MSU and Mich lose on Thursday, then a split on the weekend for Minn probably means their RPI doesn't move. A Friday loss, and their RPI moves down about .0050, I think.

How that plays for the NCAAs, no one knows. It totally depends on the factors of who else is in contention, and how they are doing. As far the Gophers getting as high a seed as possible: It probably doesn't make any difference to us between #3 overall and #4 overall, because Harvard is likely the other of those 2, and there is the East/West thing.

Best scenario for getting #3 or #4 overall:
      Harvard wins the ECAC tourney. (This is because that means Union can't. So, it prevents Union from overtaking us.)
      UMD and Denver play in the NCHC final. (This is because that means Western Michigan loses in the semis at best.)
      BC awakens from their recent funk and wins Hockey East tournament. (Keeps BU and Lowell from making a big run in the PWR.) Add in Providence making the finals of that tourney and you have even better situation for the Gophers.

Keep in mind that a long win streak by someone like Providence at this point, which might involve 8 games in a row, would be enough to really raise their RPI. That's why these things are estimates at best right now.

And, the BEST of all:
      NoDak splits their last 4 games of the reg season, and loses in the NCHC quarters (which would be on the road) and doesn't qualify for the NCAAs at all.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        FYI I was referring to the first round of the NCHC playoffs, i.e. if they don't finish in the top half of their 8 team conference after their regular season comes to an end in two weeks.
        Oh ok ...I thought you knew that anyway, but you mentioned the PWR and my mind went to the NCAA tourney. As far as the NCAA tourney, UND is getting dangerously close to the at-large bid PWR where Canisius/AHC and BC/HE could be considered contenders taking #15 and #16. I don't think UND has missed the NCAAs for over a decade.

Comment

[QUOTE=SteveO;6444684]
          With UND, I don't know much about the team this season. But they're currently a #3 seed, and it's hard imagine them dropping to #4. [QUOTE=SteveO;6444684]

I love it when things hard to imagine happen and quickly too (especially to the former pioux).
          Go Pioneers!

Comment

Another impressive weekend for Justin Kloos who is tied for the NCAA lead in GWG with 6. He actually leads the nation in GWG/GP. Last Gopher reach that mark was Travis Boyd in his senior year. Rau had four GWG that year (2014-15).

Among top scorers in total points during Don Lucia's tenure, Justin just passed Jordan Leopold for 5th place, and I believe trails Kyle Rau by 18 points. As a captain, he certainly leads by example much like Kyle Rau did with an incredible work ethic and a high performance motor on the ice.

Comment

Quick update on PWR and NCAAs, for what it's worth - and you all can follow along pretty easily yourselves, too.

There has been a slightly more than one-game gap develop between Minn/WestMich at 4 & 5, and BU/Lowell at 6 & 7. BU and Lowell are off this week, because the Hockey East playoffs begin, and the top 4 in their league get byes. Because of that gap, it seems a better than half chance to me that Minn will stay at either 4 or 5 for when the NCAAs begin.

That, of course, requires 'normal' results the next 3 weeks. 'Normal' in this sense probably means 3 wins and a loss in the next 2 weekends, or 2 wins and 2 ties (NCAA does not recognize shootouts.)

B1G? Well, the split was what we needed. 3 point lead with 4 to play, and our schedule looks easier than UW's.

Comment

Just tried to log on to GPL without success. The site is either down for maintenance (or some other reason?) or they moved to a new web address. Anyone know what's up?
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Just tried to log on to GPL without success. The site is either down for maintenance (or some other reason?) or they moved to a new web address. Anyone know what's up?
                  There is an issue with the server, per Twitter. Last I saw Jupiter said it was something to do with reaching storage capacity but that didn't seem it should be plausible to him, and he was going out of town for a few days and wouldn't be able to troubleshoot.

You can search "Gopher Puck Live Twitter" to get it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.
                  Last edited by Stauber1; 02-27-2017, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                    Quick update on PWR and NCAAs, for what it's worth - and you all can follow along pretty easily yourselves, too.

There has been a slightly more than one-game gap develop between Minn/WestMich at 4 & 5, and BU/Lowell at 6 & 7. BU and Lowell are off this week, because the Hockey East playoffs begin, and the top 4 in their league get byes. Because of that gap, it seems a better than half chance to me that Minn will stay at either 4 or 5 for when the NCAAs begin.

That, of course, requires 'normal' results the next 3 weeks. 'Normal' in this sense probably means 3 wins and a loss in the next 2 weekends, or 2 wins and 2 ties (NCAA does not recognize shootouts.)

B1G? Well, the split was what we needed. 3 point lead with 4 to play, and our schedule looks easier than UW's.
                    I think you're right on Mass-Lowell, I don't think they can move up even if the Gophers split the next two series. I think the key matchup this weekend for PWR implications is Western Mich./Duluth. According to Jim Dahl, A split for WM (nice QWB bump) and a split by the Gophers in the next two series might be enough for them to take over #4. A tie and loss and Gopher splits, and I think WM stays at #5.

UW is getting some good goaltending, special teams are good, D has good structure in front of the net, and they've got some depth up front. From what I saw from UW this past weekend, they have the some potential for a sweep and split on the road. If the Gophers do not match it, we have Co-champions of the B1G. Exciting final two weekends of hockey comin' up.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                      There is an issue with the server, per Twitter. Last I saw Jupiter said it was something to do with reaching storage capacity but that didn't seem it should be plausible to him, and he was going out of town for a few days and wouldn't be able to troubleshoot.

You can search "Gopher Puck Live Twitter" to get it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.
                      Thanks, Stauber1. Just checked again and the site is still down.

Comment

KLOOS PUTS GOPHERS BACK IN B1G DRIVER'S SEAT

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...ampaign=022717

Comment

KLOOS PUTS GOPHERS BACK IN B1G DRIVER'S SEAT

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...ampaign=022717
                          Gotta move this in front of all the Chinese Hacker threads.

Hopefully I'll watch Blake McLaughlin tonight help insure you all get to see him play on TV in the tourney. He looked pretty good helping Rapids score 5 in the last 10 minutes to gt past Elk River after trailing by 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                            Gotta move this in front of all the Chinese Hacker threads.

Hopefully I'll watch Blake McLaughlin tonight help insure you all get to see him play on TV in the tourney. He looked pretty good helping Rapids score 5 in the last 10 minutes to gt past Elk River after trailing by 2.
                            I did my part down here last night going to Mariucci to make sure you all get to see Mittelstadt on TV in the tourney (or better yet, in person).
                            I looked at the rankings in the paper this morning and saw that two of the top four ranked teams (Edina and Holy Family) will not be at the X this year.

Comment

I did my part down here last night going to Mariucci to make sure you all get to see Mittelstadt on TV in the tourney (or better yet, in person).
                              I looked at the rankings in the paper this morning and saw that two of the top four ranked teams (Edina and Holy Family) will not be at the X this year.
                              Nice article on Casey Mittelstadt. He's the complete package of speed, skill, and hockey sense with a high compete level. Projected to go in first round of the NHL draft. Gophers will be saying goodbye to a productive senior class, but the "reload" looks pretty exciting.

Comment

Stillwater also is out. For last Star Tribune rankings, Teams ranked 2-5 an 7-8 are all out of tourney. Eden Prairie has to like the field.
                                Last edited by Koho; 03-04-2017, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X