Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Fire Don Lucia?? This must be the "entertain me" crowd. In the last 6 seasons the Gophers have won 6 consecutive RS championships, a conference tournament and made the NCAAs five times with two FF appearances (inc. a 2014 runner-up). No team in the tournament that can make that claim.

Bottom line, the Gophers had more scoring chances but didn't bury them. ND blocked a lot of shots, Peterson was very good and turnovers hurt the Gophers on the scoreboard. We'll be back next season.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
      Fire Don Lucia?? This must be the "entertain me" crowd. In the last 6 seasons the Gophers have won 6 consecutive RS championships, a conference tournament and made the NCAAs five times with two FF appearances (inc. a 2014 runner-up). No team in the tournament that can make that claim.

Bottom line, the Gophers had more scoring chances but didn't bury them. ND blocked a lot of shots, Peterson was very good and turnovers hurt the Gophers on the scoreboard. We'll be back next season.
      Open your eyes, SteveO! If the Gophs don't make the Final Four 5 of 6 years and win it all 3 of 6, the coach must be at fault. This is Minnesota! All of that garbage about more parity and it being something like 12 years since all 4 number 1's didn't get beat, and the fact #4 seeds have made the final 4 and even won it all is just a smokescreen to cover the fact that there must be a coach out there that will win all the time at MN. I mean, look at what the almighty Blais did with a lesser institution! (Oh wait, forget about that example.) And all that garbage about the recruiting scene changing where some teams are pressured to take chances on the next potential superstar at 15 (or risk others getting him) and have to deal with it when the kid plateaus early and now has to play a team that can't compete for those superstars, but has room left in their roster for the 21 year old's who accelerates late is just an excuse at Minnesota by those Lucia lovers. I mean, look at BC. Do you ever see them miss the tourney? (Oh, never mind.)

I realize every team will have it's coach haters and they are usually the minority if you are not Michigan State or Wisconsin of the last couple years. Look at the BU thread sometime ('great recruiter, but can't coach'. Never mind they are relying on a bunch of Freshman, regardless of their potential.) But who do the haters think is the answer for the Gophs? (Haven't been on GPL yet this weekend.) (And since Lucia has stated he doesn't plan on sticking around forever, even if you don't think he needs to go, it is something to start considering.)

Comment

Koho:

Let's put it this way, the gathering I was at, which had many veteran GPLers, started a "Fire Lucia" thread (fully expecting it to get locked by Jupiter ) to at least try and keep that talk out of the other threads.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Completely agree. This team just wasn't built on buttoning down in the defensive zone and defending a lead. When their opponent got them pinned in and running around, it seemed like it was usually just a matter of time before they would breakdown, fail to get the puck out and eventually leave a guy open and give up what should have been a very preventable goal. This, despite looking like a well-oiled, speedy machine on offense just minutes before. So frustrating!!!

No doubt the season-ending injuries to Novak and Lindgren dealt a big blow to the Gophers' chances. But even with both of them in the lineup and healthy, I wonder if the Gophers would have been consistent enough to win their Regional (two games), much less the NCAA Championship (four games). In the "pick'em" contests I entered I did expect them to beat a good - but not great - Notre Dame team, but I didn't have enough confidence in their consistency for them to get past Mass-Lowell, who I thought was the type of team that would capitalize on the Gophers' all too often defensive lapses.

I was hoping for a Frozen Four appearance, but honestly I wasn't surprised that it was not to be.
          THIS. So much this.Disappointing after going up 2-0, but overall I am also not surprised. Odd, but fun year. Now I get to concentrate on what really matters: my new passion, playing adult hockey! Wheeeeee!
          You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

I agree - every year I say, this is it - I'm done - but I keep coming back -- I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the field goal with Lucy holding the football --
            They should be better next year, but the players are so emotionally fragile - no grit, no resilience -

Pitlick and Mittlestad are going to be fun to watch - Will Nanne be a factor?

Comment

Emotionally fragile? How many come from behind ties and wins did they have this year?

And most teams don't win the NC every year.

Comment

Originally posted by directmagna View Post
                Just saw his tweet announcing his retirement from hockey: https://***********/lounanne11/statu...87646664327170
                But best of luck to the young man in his future endeavours!
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                  Why the he!! do we invest so much emotionally? Builds up over a whole season, to end in one game. Seems this team didn't learn from several games this year where they got a lead and started dumping it out more often than trying to attack and extend the lead.

Thanks Seniors for a fun run. Too bad you didn't get a win today. Hopefully everyone else returns.
                  Completely agree. This team just wasn't built on buttoning down in the defensive zone and defending a lead. When their opponent got them pinned in and running around, it seemed like it was usually just a matter of time before they would breakdown, fail to get the puck out and eventually leave a guy open and give up what should have been a very preventable goal. This, despite looking like a well-oiled, speedy machine on offense just minutes before. So frustrating!!!

No doubt the season-ending injuries to Novak and Lindgren dealt a big blow to the Gophers' chances. But even with both of them in the lineup and healthy, I wonder if the Gophers would have been consistent enough to win their Regional (two games), much less the NCAA Championship (four games). In the "pick'em" contests I entered I did expect them to beat a good - but not great - Notre Dame team, but I didn't have enough confidence in their consistency for them to get past Mass-Lowell, who I thought was the type of team that would capitalize on the Gophers' all too often defensive lapses.

I was hoping for a Frozen Four appearance, but honestly I wasn't surprised that it was not to be.
                  Glad I'm not the only one noticing this. The St. Cloud game was comically bad in that sense and it seems like they didn't learn anything from it. It's not that this team doesn't know how to defend a lead it's that they try to play a completely different brand of hockey from what was working.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    And most teams don't win the NC every year.
                    Apologize if I've posted this above, but I really think this article explains it all: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/s...ege-teams.html

Appears that NO TEAM is going to be dominate in the near future. The object is to advance further than most on a consistent basis, then win a championship more often than the odds say you should.

OK, given those lowered expectations, we're due!
                    Last edited by D2D; 03-26-2017, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by directmagna View Post

Just saw his tweet announcing his retirement from hockey: https://***********/lounanne11/statu...87646664327170
                      But best of luck to the young man in his future endeavours!
                      That is not the Nanne coming to the U. Tyler has already transferred from OSU.

Comment

What are the odds we'll see a Pitlick-Mittelstadt-Sheehy line next season?
                        150 point season or BUST!
                        National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          That is not the Nanne coming to the U. Tyler has already transferred from OSU.
                          Oh good, thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabid Gopher View Post
                            What are the odds we'll see a Pitlick-Mittelstadt-Sheehy line next season?
                            150 point season or BUST!
                            Probably very good. Casey is ranked very high (#5) in the 2017 NHL Central Scouting Midterm report. Surprised they have him 6' 1" @ 201, which is a lot heavier than what I've seen on other listings.

Other incoming Gopher recruits listed:

Scott Reedy, the Gophers recruit and Shattuck-St. Mary’s alum from Prior Lake, is ranked No. 47. The righthanded forward has 19 goals and 20 assists this season in 50 games with the U.S. U-18 team.

Nathan Knoepke (U.S U-18/Farmington) is ranked 106, The defenseman has four goals and 12 assists in 54 games with the U.S. U-18 team.

Brannon McManus (USHL/Newport Beach, Calif.) is ranked 178. The righthanded forward has 12 goals and 13 assists this season in 31 games for the Chicago Steel this season in the USHL.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                              Probably very good.
                              Sheehy will be a flight risk

Comment

I'd be surprised if Sheehy left.

His comment after Sat. loss:

Sheehy echoed that sentiment while looking ahead. "All of our seniors made such an impact with leading and with the standard they set here,'' he said. "They made it very clear what you have to do here to be winners. "I think this year, we were successful because we had the right mindset. We have a good group of guys coming in, I think. And it's going to be really competitive next year as well, so we're looking forward to that.''

Comment

Working...
                                X