Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

I there anywhere to her a podcast of Don Lucia show? I tried the Google and came up blank.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
      I there anywhere to her a podcast of Don Lucia show? I tried the Google and came up blank.
      http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire-a...ach-don-lucia/
      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Boy how different the season looks after two days. Not optimistic. In large part due to the brutal schedule coming up. After a couple of games out east that are definitely not gimmes, we play UND, Mn State and go back east to play at BC/NE. Not hard to see the team being something like 3-9 much of the way through the NC with the North Star cup still looming. This could be the result even if this team turns out to be decent. Sorry to be a downer.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

It's not over. The Atlantic Hockey 2 regular season title and banner is there for the taking.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Ready to pull the trigger on getting fully on board "Scooby's Pessimism Bandwagon". We'll see what happens in the next 20 minutes....

Comment

Kloos, Szmatula, Bristedt...3 of what are supposed to be the most skilled guys on the team, and all 3 had been very quiet through the first four games. But they accounted for all the goals in tonight's comeback win.

Good to see.

I didn't get to see the 1st period, how were the goals against? I've had a little bit of worry watching Schierhorn so far this year, so curious to hear what folks thought about the goals against tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                Kloos, Szmatula, Bristedt...3 of what are supposed to be the most skilled guys on the team, and all 3 had been very quiet through the first four games. But they accounted for all the goals in tonight's comeback win.

Good to see.

I didn't get to see the 1st period, how were the goals against? I've had a little bit of worry watching Schierhorn so far this year, so curious to hear what folks thought about the goals against tonight.
                The first period was horrid. Ugly. Terrible. Think: tUMD of years past. Clarkson would not trap, BUT they would clog, clog, clog, and wait. We make a mistake? Boom score. Horrid D. No forecheck. No sustained pressure. I shut the dam game off after the first, along with a friend or two (had a live chat going). That ugly.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post

Good to see.

First was ugly, shaking off the travel legs (I hope anyway) they came back and played hard the rest of the way.

Our young D is learning on the job. 2 freshman and a soph playing lots of minutes on the back end, they will get better.

Comment

Not too bad a weekend.
                    The Gophers played well enough to win on Friday, but Schierhorn struggling made it hard to get that W. Nice to see the team keep coming back time and again, though.

And tonight Schierhorn was integral to the winning effort. I mentioned after the Clarkson game that I was a little bit worried about Schierhorn's play, with seeing him really fighting the puck against Fairbanks, playing pretty lousy late in the series opener against St. Cloud, and then again struggling last night (I didn't get to see the first period against Clarkson, where all the goals against came). But he came back and showed his ability here tonight. There is no question he has it in him to be a good goaltender, but the inconsistency shown so far can't continue. Hopefully this was the turning point for him.

We're 8 games in now, and there are a few things that seem to be coming a bit clear.

First, that second line with Novak and Sheehy has been the most dangerous line so far. The "1st" line hasn't really lived up to its promise, IMO. Szmatula has some goals, but they have mostly been on the PP. Part of that I think is the final pairing with them.

Romanko and Ramsey have been great all year. I really can't say enough about those two and how they fill their roles. I thought Norman has looked pretty good with them, better than either Cammy or Reilly has looked with them. I'd hope Norman keeps getting opportunities on that fourth line. It leaves the question about what do you do with Cammy and Reilly, and I'd be OK seeing them fight for ice time. It's a tough thing to say as I think Cammarata has actually stepped up his game a bit so far this year (unfortunately the bar was set pretty low), but I think this team's best line-up might not include him.

Finally, I've been as big of a critic of Collins as anyone, but he has improved his play tremendously this season. Nothing flashy, just simple and smart plays with the puck and much better understanding of his positioning. Late in the second period tonight Jost was in on him 1-on-1 and made a move to the outside, but Collins stayed right with him. Early in the third period Boesser was in on him 1-on-1 and made a move, and Collins stayed right with him.

Comment

Agree with most of that, but Vinni additionally needs some major props for the energy he brings, he's been a faceoff beast, and he's getting some points to go along with the effort.

Comment

Great observations, Stauber1. I agree with everything you've said, including your comments on the improvements Collins has made in his game. Much of it is the little things that he does that aren't obvious to casual observers. It appears that the coaches were wise to have stuck with him, in sharp contrast to so many of his critics who wanted to see him permanently benched.

Cammy is another one who's taken tons of criticism, but sadly in his case it's mostly well-deserved. He's a definite liability when the puck is in our end, which in some games (including tonight's) has seemed like an eternity. You could overlook this if he was lighting it up at the other end, but unfortunately he hasn't shown any sign of that happening any time soon. So as you point out for the time being at least we appear to have better options.

Regarding Connor Reilly I was very surprised to see him moved up from left wing the 4th line (with Romanko and Ramsey) to right wing on the 1st line (with Kloos and Szmatula) this evening. It appears to be just a substitution for Cammy on the 1st line, but maybe the coaches had some other reason for putting these three together.

On D the only change was inserting Glover in the lineup to take Sadek's spot, paired with Steve Johnson. Curious to know what you (an other fans here) think who's the best option for this pairing.
                        Last edited by D2D; 11-06-2016, 12:14 AM.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The 3rd line has been getting stronger I think as the season progresses. Probably our best 2-way line right now. You're right, SS, Vinni has been pretty darn good in the defensive zone and in the face-off circle, and has been consistently showing up on the score sheet as well.

As to Reilly being moved up to the "1st" line -
                          I think we have been seeing the coaching staff trying to put their most "talented" players on the ice. Out of the prospective top-9 forwards it seems like Reilly and Cammy have been the last 2 on the depth chart, and that means one of them has to skate with the 1st line (if you don't want to mess with the 2nd/3rd lines)) and one of them with the 4th. Both of them have bounced around between those two lines so far.

I think Romanko-Ramsey are probably better suited to skate with a guy who plays a bit heavy and more of a grinding type role. And I think Kloos-Szmatula benefit more from Reilly than they do Cammy. That's why, to me, it seems like the best line-up may not include Cammarata even if he has more talent than a few other guys.
                          Last edited by Stauber1; 11-06-2016, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Well they managed to stave off my pessimism with this weekend's play. Was a little concerned if Shierhorn could return to last year's form, and he looked the part on Saturday. thought Gophs played better on Friday, other than Sheirhorn. However, while they didn't go in a shell, after the 2 goal lead, they dumped the puck out of the zone more often than I like to see. They obviously have good depth. They don't have the stellar first line to match with some of the best lines in the country, but probably make up for a lot of that with depth on 2nd and 3rd line. I think this skill is evidenced by their effective power play. Nice tic tac toe passing and control on a number of them. And there isn't really isn't a second unit with a big drop in skill. It was also good to see improved puck pursuit taking away time and space in their own zone for much more of the game than the last couple weekends. They have something to build on. Let's hope they can.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                              They have something to build on. Let's hope they can.
                              I hope the bye week, coming at this point in the schedule, will end up doing them more good than harm. Always good to have the extra time to refresh and heal sore muscles and bruises, which they must have plenty of with all the shots they blocked. But the potential downside is that they get out of rhythm and lose the 'edge' and very high level of play they were able to consistently achieve, really for the first time this past weekend.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                Agree with most of that, but Vinni additionally needs some major props for the energy he brings, he's been a faceoff beast, and he's getting some points to go along with the effort.
                                This. As many know, I am one to appreciate the grinders/workers over the flashy players. And Vinnie.....yeah baby. Loving this guy. Glad he's hitting the back of the net, etc. Getting some stats to back up his work.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X