Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    But as Slappy said, the west is sold out. So it doesn't matter which teams are there. That's a big strike.
    There are 2 other things to consider:
    1- Harvard in Providence rather than MN puts more butts in seats in Providence, so we get switched to Fargo, not for the West, bot for the East.
    2- Flight costs. If the team has less than 400 miles to travel, it's a bus, not a plane. NCAA is paying, so......

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      I think you can say Duluth will be in Fargo with any sort of certainty only if you believe two things will not happen. First, you believe that Minnesota will not catch Duluth in terms of overall seeding. If they do, since they are closer to Fargo, I think MN would end up in Fargo.

Second, that UND does not end up a four seed. If UND ends up seeded somewhere in the 13-16 band, it's almost a certainty neither UMD nor DU will be in Fargo because that will be a first round game against a conference foe, and one essentially playing at home to boot. Won't happen. One of the other two #1 seeds will be in Fargo in that scenario.
      I agree with the Second paragraph.
      First paragraph: I see very little chance that anyone can catch UMD or Denver in the PWR. The RPI is too high. UMD would need a losing streak.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        I think you can say Duluth will be in Fargo with any sort of certainty only if you believe two things will not happen. First, you believe that Minnesota will not catch Duluth in terms of overall seeding. If they do, since they are closer to Fargo, I think MN would end up in Fargo.

Second, that UND does not end up a four seed. If UND ends up seeded somewhere in the 13-16 band, it's almost a certainty neither UMD nor DU will be in Fargo because that will be a first round game against a conference foe, and one essentially playing at home to boot. Won't happen. One of the other two #1 seeds will be in Fargo in that scenario.
        I'm obviously making a lot of assumptions mainly that the Gophers will indeed perform well enough to capture the 4th #1 seed. It's far too early to know. But do you really think the Gophers can pass Duluth and take over the 1st #1 seed? That seems like a long shot for various reasons including RPI, away record and their remain schedule. I would think DU would hold the 2nd #1 spot for similar reasons.

With UND, I don't know much about the team this season. But they're currently a #3 seed, and it's hard imagine them dropping to #4. If they do well in Kalamazoo this weekend, and the Broncos lose to Duluth in a couple weeks, that may be a nice bump for UND into a #2 seed or 7th or 8th in the PWR. That would most likely put UND and Duluth in Fargo. That seems more likely to me, but there's still a lot of hockey to be played.

As of yesterday (Feb. 15):

East Regional (Providence):
        14 Boston College vs. 3 Harvard
        11 Union vs. 8 Providence

Northeast Regional (Manchester):
        13 Cornell vs. 4 Minnesota
        12 St. Cloud State vs. 5 Boston University

Midwest Regional (Cincinnati):
        15 Air Force vs. 2 Denver
        9 Massachusetts-Lowell vs. 7 Western Michigan

West Regional (Fargo):
        16 Bemidji State vs. 1 Minnesota-Duluth
        10 North Dakota vs. 6 Penn State

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO
          I'm obviously making a lot of assumptions mainly that the Gophers will indeed perform well enough to capture the 4th #1 seed. It's far too early to know. But do you really think the Gophers can pass Duluth and take over the 1st #1 seed? That seems like a long shot for various reasons including RPI, away record and their remain schedule. I would think DU would hold the 2nd #1 spot for similar reasons.

With UND, I don't know much about the team this season. But they're currently a #3 seed, and it's hard imagine them dropping to #4. If they do well in Kalamazoo this weekend, and the Broncos lose to Duluth in a couple weeks, that may be a nice bump for UND into a #2 seed or 7th or 8th in the PWR. That would most likely put UND and Duluth in Fargo. That seems more likely to me, but there's still a lot of hockey to be played.
          So to summarize the NCAA discussion, the Gophers could end up anywhere depending on how the rest of the season goes for everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
            So to summarize the NCAA discussion, the Gophers could end up anywhere depending on how the rest of the season goes for everyone?
            Well stated.

Comment

Fun to speculate and guess on all the possibilities, but let's hope the team just remains focused on doing what it takes to win their next game. They've worked very hard to put themselves in a very good position, so as long as they continue to do just that things will work out just fine.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Fun to speculate and guess on all the possibilities, but let's hope the team just remains focused on doing what it takes to win their next game. They've worked very hard to put themselves in a very good position, so as long as they continue to do just that things will work out just fine.
                This. Totally this. One way to look at things is that there are always 3 goals:
                1- Reg Season Title. Doing well here. Just stay focused. win/tie this weekend will be a good result
                2- Post Season Conf Title. Finishing 1st or 2nd in the Reg Season helps this one. Keep it going, boys.
                3- NCAAs. We'll monitor that as we go, but not the focus yet.

Comment

Suspect we'll be in the Fargo bracket with UND and UMD/Denver...or we'll be in New England lining up against BU. The reasons always follow the results.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    Suspect we'll be in the Fargo bracket with UND and UMD/Denver...or we'll be in New England lining up against BU. The reasons always follow the results.
                    There could be room fro four teams in the bracket. UND down to 14th. Don't know what rest of schedule looks like for them.

Next weekend is big for B1G season champion implications.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                      There could be room fro four teams in the bracket. UND down to 14th. Don't know what rest of schedule looks like for them.
                      I would expect the FnHawks to sweep their two remaining series, Omaha at home and Miami on the road, although Omaha at #19 in the PairWise should come in very motivated. At #28 Miami's season is likely over.

If UND's struggles continue there is a good chance their first playoff series will not be in Grand Forks:

http://www.uscho.com/standings/nchc/2016-2017/

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        I would expect the FnHawks to sweep their two remaining series, Omaha at home and Miami on the road, although Omaha at #19 in the PairWise should come in very motivated. At #28 Miami's season is likely over.

If UND's struggles continue there is a good chance their first playoff series will not be in Grand Forks:

http://www.uscho.com/standings/nchc/2016-2017/
                        "IF" UND makes the tourney, a team that hosts a regional has to be placed there if it’s selected for the NCAA tournament. UND has been on second half skid winning only 5 of their last 12 games.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                          "IF" UND makes the tourney, a team that hosts a regional has to be placed there if it’s selected for the NCAA tournament. UND has been on second half skid winning only 5 of their last 12 games.
                          FYI I was referring to the first round of the NCHC playoffs, i.e. if they don't finish in the top half of their 8 team conference after their regular season comes to an end in two weeks.

Comment

Minnesota should win 4 of the next 6 and that should set them up for the playoffs nicely.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Schedules:

Minnesota: vs Wisc, Mich and MSU
                              Wisconsin: vs Minn, OSU, PSU

Which means that, a split this week (and we should actually get more than that) leaves us 3 points ahead with 4 to play, and we have the schedule advantage. So, BIG championship looks very doable.

NCAAs: Jim Dahl at collegehockeyranked.com says Minnesota will likely head to the BIG Tournament as a #1 Regional Seed with 5 wins. That also seems very doable.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                                Schedules:

Minnesota: vs Wisc, Mich and MSU
                                Wisconsin: vs Minn, OSU, PSU

Which means that, a split this week (and we should actually get more than that) leaves us 3 points ahead with 4 to play, and we have the schedule advantage. So, BIG championship looks very doable.

NCAAs: Jim Dahl at collegehockeyranked.com says Minnesota will likely head to the BIG Tournament as a #1 Regional Seed with 5 wins. That also seems very doable.
                                Does a loss in the BTT change that? I'm sure it would depend who they play, right?
                                "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X