Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
    Don't know if anyone will answer tonight but......I have a plasma TV I bought because it was reviewed as better than LED for viewing hockey (especially 6-8 yrs ago when I got it). Well it just died, right before NCAA's start. Of course different internet reviews claim different things about different TV's so I am not sure what direction to go. I would really rather not spend more than about $500 (for 55 in) but the guy I talked to at Best Buy is telling me the high refresh rate of a Sony is the only thing that will satisfy me for hockey after having plasma ($800 on sale this week). But I am guessing a lot of you are watching on cheaper, older TV's (like the $400-500 range). Do you really notice an issue watching hockey? I just wonder if I could get by with choosing one of these with a decent refresh rate, and if it is only the videophiles that really notice? (I also want a TV that can be viewed from an angle, but apparently that has improved too in the last 5 years?) I don't want to regret my purchase the next 8-10 years, but also don't want to spend an extra $300. This is coming as enough of an unexpected hit already. Thanks if anyone responds.
    My better half picked up a 46 in Samsung led a few years ago for right around your price range. I know she got it on sale and time wasn't an issue. It's 1080p and 60 Hz but I can adjust it to 120 Hz (which I do for any sports). It gives a good clear picture for hockey games. No blurring or streaking. The picture from the sides is good also. I guess at a minimum I would recommend 1080p and 120 hz. Haven't done much research on tvs for a couple years so not sure what's standard now and what it costs. Good luck. (To you, not the gophers)

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Nothing will replace a high end plasma like the Kuro or the Panasonic VT series but it had zero to do with refresh. It has everything to do with black level and color reproduction.

Plasma is the closest thing to CRT we have that can be easily scaled to that size. The problem is no one makes plasma anymore, which makes me insanely sad. I'm glad I got a 65" VT50 while they were still in production. I'll pay to have it repaired if it dies.

If you want to get close, you'll need a full panel backlit LED screen. Not one with just the edge backlit.

don't bother paying extra for 4K.

Oh, and there is a big difference between a $500 tv and a $1,000 tv. But if you can't tell the difference, buy the $500 one.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Nothing will replace a high end plasma like the Kuro or the Panasonic VT series but it had zero to do with refresh. It has everything to do with black level and color reproduction.

Plasma is the closest thing to CRT we have that can be easily scaled to that size. The problem is no one makes plasma anymore, which makes me insanely sad. I'm glad I got a 65" VT50 while they were still in production. I'll pay to have it repaired if it dies.

If you want to get close, you'll need a full panel backlit LED screen. Not one with just the edge backlit.

don't bother paying extra for 4K.

Oh, and there is a big difference between a $500 tv and a $1,000 tv. But if you can't tell the difference, buy the $500 one.
        So plasma was on its way out when I got mine. And I remember reading that part of the reason was they didn't look great under the artificial lighting of stores (a bunch of fluorescent lights) so people didn't see their superior picture they would have in their homes. So this also makes me wonder how well I can compare LED TV's in a store.

Comment

Could be. The biggest problem is that stores turn their TVs up to ultra brightness instead of having them properly calibrated. People think it looks better in the stores, probably the fluorescents*, they spend a wad, and don't get a great picture. They might be happy with it for a long time. Who knows. LEDs aren't bad TVs, they just won't be as good as plasmas.

* this almost certainly explains why Best Buy and other major stores would put their highest end TVs in a separate section, dimly lit with warm lights, and isolated from the fluorescents. Also it gives an air of superiority, but I'm guessing if you stacked a $3k TV next to a $750 TV in the main floor and cranked the brightness, it would probably be hard to sell a $3k TV.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Congrats to the guys on a decent season. It is frustrating to seemingly have this happen the first weekend of the NCAAs as many times as it does. But we have not been playing stellar hockey - 3-4-1 over the last 8 with some pretty soft teams in that mix. I do wonder if perhaps the team just overachieved in the middle part of the season.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

****, I'm tired of this BS.
              Now I gotta watch the Mild end their season in a colossal train wreck too.
              National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by Rabid Gopher View Post
                ****, I'm tired of this BS.
                Now I gotta watch the Mild end their season in a colossal train wreck too.
                We don't have to watch at all.

But, we will. It's what us saps do.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                  We don't have to watch at all.

But, we will. It's what us saps do.
                  Why the he!! do we invest so much emotionally? Builds up over a whole season, to end in one game. Seems this team didn't learn from several games this year where they got a lead and started dumping it out more often than trying to attack and extend the lead.

Thanks Seniors for a fun run. Too bad you didn't get a win today. Hopefully everyone else returns.

Comment

If anyone sees Happy, tell him I said congrats on the Championship Year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      Well of course you'd find the cloud in the silver lining. The above is a pretty small sample size and their regional in 2002 wasn't in MN. Also remember the 2001 team was OT away from advancing and didn't thanks to a missed offsides call and a terrible penalty that allowed them to be tied with 3 seconds left. They've also had other close calls outside MN in regionals so it's not as though they've never had chances. Never mind none of the players on this roster were on any of those teams.
                      That 2001 game against maine wasn't a QF game. Winner got BC next day.

Comment

I thought the game would be a good matchup and a goalie duel, and both Schierhorn and Peterson played very well between the pipes. ND blocked a tons of shots (21). But the Gophers had their chances in front, Kloos had a breakaway, Bristedt hit a pipe, and they were only 1/5 on the PP. There were a couple costly turnovers. The disaster line change where 4 Gophers were heading to the bench, and Peterson launches a stretch pass to Oglevie sitting on our blueline for the first ND goal was hard to watch.

The Gophers seemed to lose their composure in the third after ND went up 3-2 and struggled generating the same offensive surge they had in the first. This wasn't the same resilient team we've seen this half that averaged 5 goals/game.

Overall, a good season for the Gophers but it's always disappointing in a one and done to have your season end so quickly. Thanks to the team for some very exciting hockey this season. We'll be back.

Comment

I'm beyond angry we lost, especially after that start. We got worse and worse as the game went on. Frustrating. Had about an hour of very real anger, then got into sadness, then acceptance. Season is done.

Then the "FIRE LUCIA" newbies started showing up (on GPL), and got me riled again. Not that I disagree with them, necessarily, but FU for only showing up after losses.

The gathering I was at handled it in a humorous fashion, and everything was okay again. At peace with the season being over. I shall move on.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                            Why the he!! do we invest so much emotionally? Builds up over a whole season, to end in one game. Seems this team didn't learn from several games this year where they got a lead and started dumping it out more often than trying to attack and extend the lead.
                            Completely agree. This team just wasn't built on buttoning down in the defensive zone and defending a lead. When their opponent got them pinned in and running around, it seemed like it was usually just a matter of time before they would breakdown, fail to get the puck out and eventually leave a guy open and give up what should have been a very preventable goal. This, despite looking like a well-oiled, speedy machine on offense just minutes before. So frustrating!!!

No doubt the season-ending injuries to Novak and Lindgren dealt a big blow to the Gophers' chances. But even with both of them in the lineup and healthy, I wonder if the Gophers would have been consistent enough to win their Regional (two games), much less the NCAA Championship (four games). In the "pick'em" contests I entered I did expect them to beat a good - but not great - Notre Dame team, but I didn't have enough confidence in their consistency for them to get past Mass-Lowell, who I thought was the type of team that would capitalize on the Gophers' all too often defensive lapses.

I was hoping for a Frozen Four appearance, but honestly I wasn't surprised that it was not to be.
                            Last edited by D2D; 03-26-2017, 01:47 AM.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Disappointing end. I didn't peg this team for top,whatever but I think they underachieved. Some positives to take one of which we saw the growth of several,players this while the past we'd seen a bit more stagnation. After a slump Schierhorn got back to his old self and will be a bonafide #1 next season. They should not see any major early departures and of course Casey is coming in. They really have to get the D back on track to mirror the Top 6 from the better Gophers teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                I'm beyond angry we lost, especially after that start. We got worse and worse as the game went on. Frustrating. Had about an hour of very real anger, then got into sadness, then acceptance. Season is done.

Then the "FIRE LUCIA" newbies started showing up (on GPL), and got me riled again. Not that I disagree with them, necessarily, but FU for only showing up after losses.

The gathering I was at handled it in a humorous fashion, and everything was okay again. At peace with the season being over. I shall move on.
                                Agree across the board. There are quite a few on GPL that are overly emotional and are quick to blame someone, anyone for a loss.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X