Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

The Gophers won 2 games up in Alaska this past weekend 6-0 and 6-3 over Anchorage and Fairbanks. Much better start than last season.

They play the US U-18 team Friday night at Mariucci before a home and home with St. Cloud State the following weekend.

Go
    Originally posted by CavalryNate
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
    sigpic

Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Green arrow. Thanks.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I see the U18 team is 2-4 in the USHL and 0-3 against D1 competition, losing 1-5 to Notre Dame, 2-8 to BU and 2-5 to Harvard.
      http://www.usahockeyntdp.com/page/sh...0-u18-schedule

Obviously not as strong as last year's squad, and it's a game the Gophers should win.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Let's not forget 2nd in Pairwise (at this rate UND at #17 won't even make tourney), second in offense in the nation (averaging 6 g/gm), 8th in Defense and first in shorthanded goals. Just give 'em the trophy now.

Comment

I assume you're being facetious...

Wish they didn't have another "off week" so early in the NC schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            I assume you're being facetious...
            What?? I heard UND fans were selling their frozen four tickets on line cheap to get rid of them.

Comment

Congrats to Tyler Sheehy on being named First Star for his 5 point performance this past weekend.

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-hocke...101116aaa.html

Comment

So BTN+, is that the one you get if you get BTN, or does everyone have to pay to watch BTN+ regardless of if they subscribe to BTN?

Comment

You have to pay. Unless you can VPN into the UMN or somewhere. Never had any luck with that.

Comment

I didn't get to see the game against the U18 team, wondering what it looked like other than a goal-fest for the Gophers.

It's hard to tell what the line combos were like just by looking at the box score. Did they mix all of them up? It looked like Cammarata maybe got demoted?

Nice to see Pitlick pick up the hatty, and is Junior going to be the big surprise this year? If he keeps scoring goals that would be a big boost.
                    Would like to see something more out of Kloos/Szmatula, though.

Comment

Lines were shuffling a ton all game. Pitlick can shoot. Gates can shoot. Kloos, Szmatula, Lettieri, and Cammy were quiet.

The NTDP are terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                        I didn't get to see the game against the U18 team, wondering what it looked like other than a goal-fest for the Gophers.

It's hard to tell what the line combos were like just by looking at the box score. Did they mix all of them up? It looked like Cammarata maybe got demoted?
                        I stayed at the women's game next door for all three periods (won 4-3) so I only saw the last 26 minutes or so of the men's game. I did pick up a line chart, though I can't verify how closely they stuck with it throughout the game. At least in the 3rd the coaches were giving lots of time to guys who will not see much action the rest of the year, as Lucia was rolling five forward lines:

Szmatula - Kloos - Reilly
                        Gates - Novak - Sheehy
                        Bristedt - Pitlick - Lettieri
                        Cammerata - Romanko - Ramsey
                        Rogge - Norman - Marooney

D pairs were:

Bischoff - Lindgren
                        Zuhlsdorf - Collins
                        Johnson - Sadek
                        with Glover the 7th D

If the little I saw was any indication it looks like this team is much improved when it comes to shooting the puck. There were a couple of quick release rockets that went in off iron that the USA goalie had virtually no chance on.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          I see the U18 team is 2-4 in the USHL and 0-3 against D1 competition, losing 1-5 to Notre Dame, 2-8 to BU and 2-5 to Harvard.
                          http://www.usahockeyntdp.com/page/sh...0-u18-schedule

Obviously not as strong as last year's squad, and it's a game the Gophers should win.
                          What's going on with the US team? Can't remember them ever being this bad. Where is the talent?

Comment

How did the future Gophers look? And I see the shots weren't that far apart. Was it much closer than the score, or was there no comparison in quality of shots?

Comment

Just from my perspective, the "lines" really only stayed put for about the first period. Then tDon was rolling all kinds of combinations and Guentzel was pairing just about everybody. Glover seemed to get a great deal of ice time in the 3rd period. Also, the "first" line didn't see a lot of time in the 3rd as had been said earlier.

There were some overall disappointments in that Collins still looks lost, which given his 2 years of experience is sad and may make him 7th d-man all year. Cammy was non-existent and while he did no harm, he didn't do any good as well. Johnson was the most solid D man all night. Gates/Novak/Sheehy looked really solid and Pitlick was everywhere all night long. He appears to be a Kyle Rau like player in terms of grit, but with more beef to back him up.

I thought all the goalies did a good job, but it appeared to me that Kautz faced the toughest task in terms of the quality of shots he saw.

Overall, I am encouraged, but still tempering it until I see them play against SCSU this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X