Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

And the Badgers take advantage of a power play to tie it 1-1. Six minutes to go in regulation.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      With UMD jumping to a 3-1 lead over UND it would appear now that our fate (No. 1 seed) rests with Penn State hanging on to beat Wisconsin. They carry a 1-0 lead into the 3rd.
      Or not.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Duluth wins 4-3. Last hope for a No. 1 seed is Penn State, which is now going to their second consecutive double overtime.

Comment

And the Nittany Lions pull it out, 2-1 in two OT's. So we do we get a No. 1 seed for sure? I guess we'll see tomorrow AM!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            And the Nittany Lions pull it out, 2-1 in two OT's. So we do we get a No. 1 seed for sure? I guess we'll see tomorrow AM!
            Yes. The Gophers will be a 1 seed.
            There are 2 cardinal rules that have always been followed by the selection committee -

1. Avoid intra-conference match-ups in the first round
            2. You can swap teams around within a seeding band, but you can't swap teams between 2 bands.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
              Yes. The Gophers will be a 1 seed.
              There are 2 cardinal rules that have always been followed by the selection committee -

1. Avoid intra-conference match-ups in the first round
              2. You can swap teams around within a seeding band, but you can't swap teams between 2 bands.
              Don't forget about attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                Don't forget about attendance.
                That hasn't been written in stone the way the other two have.

I know you are being semi-facetious, but just pointing out that the two I listed have NEVER been compromised since the inception of the Pairwise selection method.

Comment

I guess the way I would look at it is your #2 is a precursor to a #3, attendance. I think that's the way Jayson Moy looks at it.

"Since USCHO began the PairWise Rankings, we have correctly identified all of the teams that have been selected to the NCAA tournament. Five of the last six years, I am the only prognosticator to have correctly predicted the exact brackets for the NCAA tournament, meaning that I have predicted how the committee thought when putting together the brackets.

When you look at past history, it comes down to attendance and it doesn’t matter where the seeds are. What’s important is preserving the matchups that are made with teams outside of the Top 16 to those No. 1 seeds and then attendance. It doesn’t matter what the seeds are, just that you stay within that band. In other words, if you’re a second-seeded team from 5-8, you can go anywhere and play anyone, as long as the team you’re playing is 9-12." - Jayson Moy, Senior Writer, USCHO

Comment

Yep, that's fine. Attendance is definitely a high priority and always has been.

But attendance will be (and has been) sacrificed to adhere to the 2 cardinal rules.

EDIT:
                    For that matter, avoiding intra-conference match-ups has always been assumed to be a lower priority than maintaining band integrity, but that assumption has yet to be put to the test.
                    Last edited by Stauber1; 03-19-2017, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                      Yep, that's fine. Attendance is definitely a high priority and always has been.

But attendance will be (and has been) sacrificed to adhere to the 2 cardinal rules.

EDIT:
                      For that matter, avoiding intra-conference match-ups has always been assumed to be a lower priority than maintaining band integrity, but that assumption has yet to be put to the test.
                      And, it won't be this year, either.

Comment

It's hard to think of it being an issue any time in the near future. The only year it was even plausible to be tested was the year the Badgers qualified with a 16-17-x record and the WCHA nearly put 7 teams into the tournament.

or was it a 17-18-x record and nearly 8 teams...I can't recall exactly
                        Last edited by Stauber1; 03-19-2017, 12:19 AM.

Comment

My wild guess is we're on a plane to the Northeast Regional (Manchester):

13 Notre Dame vs. 4 Minnesota
                          11 Cornell vs. 6 Western Michigan

Edit.
                          Last edited by SteveO; 03-19-2017, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Fargo is sold out. Attendance doesn't matter as a factor there.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Yeah, it seems clear we'll be in either Providence or Manchester. Just a question of who else is there.

Comment

RPI difference between the #4 Gophers and #5 Mass.-Lowell? .0001

Comment

Working...
                                X