This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2016-17 Season Thread I: The Kids are Alright

Saw the Bulldogs on Saturday night against Union. They don't have the same offense they did a few years ago, but they do have some quickness on the attack and can play a physical game, so I don't see this as a gimme at all. Could come down to BU making some plays over the final 20 to secure a win, but not having to beat Lyon should make things a little easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurl82 View Post
      Saw the Bulldogs on Saturday night against Union. They don't have the same offense they did a few years ago, but they do have some quickness on the attack and can play a physical game, so I don't see this as a gimme at all. Could come down to BU making some plays over the final 20 to secure a win, but not having to beat Lyon should make things a little easier.
      If recent history is any indication this BU team tends to lose when they don't respect their competition. When they play with urgency they are tough to beat.

Comment

• Re Bellows: DFP's Nick Frazier tweeted some Quinn comments on Bellows last night, but they didn't appear in today's preview article. DQ didn't confirm that Bellows will dress tonight. Personally I'd prefer to see even a struggling Bellows on the top two lines, rather than Cloonan whose last goal came 13 months ago and whose last point was scored on Feb. 1.
        https://twitter.com/Nikfraz14/status/808475957925441537
        The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by meauxmo View Post
          If recent history is any indication this BU team tends to lose when they don't respect their competition. When they play with urgency they are tough to beat.
          +1

But....that's the coach's job....to not allow his players to underestimate the opponent. It's frustrating. I can understand in pro sports where you play ten billion games a year, but it's perplexing to see a college team come out "flat" when they play once or twice a week. Hard to fathom.

On the other hand, there probably is some credence in the theory that playing at this level is not as much "fun" as it used to be in the old days. When there is more pressure, no matter what the job, most people react tentatively. I imagine that all the scrutiny today, be in on social media, coverage, etc. doesn't help these guys, who, after all, signed up for this because they "love" to play a game.
          Last edited by chickod; 12-13-2016, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
            +1

But....that's the coach's job....to not allow his players to underestimate the opponent. It's frustrating. I can understand in pro sports where you play ten billion games a year, but it's perplexing to see a college team come out "flat" when they play once or twice a week. Hard to fathom.

On the other hand, there probably is some credence in the theory that playing at this level is not as much "fun" as it used to be in the old days. When there is more pressure, no matter what the job, most people react tentatively. I imagine that all the scrutiny today, be in on social media, coverage, etc. doesn't help these guys, who, after all, signed up for this because they "love" to play a game.
            Yes but they are very young. In an era of 20 yr. old freshmen we have lots of 17 and 18 yr. old players on the roster. Sometimes it takes time.

Comment

How about hat-tricks for McAvoy and Somerby? #HistoryRepeating
              It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by meauxmo View Post
                Yes but they are very young. In an era of 20 yr. old freshmen we have lots of 17 and 18 yr. old players on the roster. Sometimes it takes time.
                That's the excuse we've been using all season. They're young. They're immature. They're still learning.
                At what point does it become just dumb to keep resorting to the same excuse?

It's not October. The season is halfway gone. If we want trophies, if the kids wants trophies, come Beanpot/HE/Chicago, then they need to step up and Quinn et al need to stop using the same excuse time and again.

What to they say about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.......

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                  How about hat-tricks for McAvoy and Somerby? #HistoryRepeating
                  I saw this post along with your signature "It's Never Gonna Happen" and laughed. Speaking of which, shouldn't you update that?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    I saw this post along with your signature "It's Never Gonna Happen" and laughed. Speaking of which, shouldn't you update that?
                    I should! (Provided I remember how to get "in there.") IT HAPPENED!!!!
                    It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
                      That's the excuse we've been using all season. They're young. They're immature. They're still learning.
                      At what point does it become just dumb to keep resorting to the same excuse?

It's not October. The season is halfway gone. If we want trophies, if the kids wants trophies, come Beanpot/HE/Chicago, then they need to step up and Quinn et al need to stop using the same excuse time and again.

What to they say about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.......
                      I'm not sure I've heard Quinn use that line as an excuse at any point. He's certainly on more than one occasion noted that the team is young, but I've not heard him say something to the effect of "Yeah well, we lost to UConn tonight because we're young and we played like kids so oh well." He's held kids accountable for bad play - Bellows is sitting again tonight - and done this while navigating through multiple key injuries.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

winners!!!!!
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          winners!!!!!
                          And they almost got a hat trick from a defenseman.

There's something missing from this team. I can't quite put my finger on it. Unless they find it, the hardware shelf will be empty.
                          It Happened!!!!

Comment

I love my Bonino Gnome!

https://youtu.be/OIVI3q-ZlX4
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

There's something missing from this team. I can't quite put my finger on it. Unless they find it, the hardware shelf will be empty.
                              I was thinking the same thing (on both counts). Once Switzer (Switzer!!) got his second and McAvoy already had one, I thought...maybe?

But the team didn't look very good after the first period. Lots of time stuck trying to get out of their own zone. They looked terrible on the second Yale goal, both d stuck in the corner, along with 1, maybe even 2 forwards. Someone mentioned that there is a lack of offensive flow, and I agree. I don't think Keller and Greenway should be on the same line. Their styles negate each others strengths. I want Keller and Harper to remind me of Bates and Drury or Bates and Lachance, but it hasn't happened yet. I like the third line a lot, they are perfect for their roles. And the 4th line is doing ok, though Chabot didn't have his best game. But something needs to start clicking for the top two lines. I agree with whoever commented that Cloonan doesn't belong there, despite his speed. And I assume once Bellows is back, Cloonan will move down or to the stands.

Glad they got the W, but against a weak team, they needed to. Hopefully things will start gelling more in the second half.
                              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Is it possession? I started really noticing it at the Providence game. They hardly ever get set up in the offensive zone and try to work out quality shots. They are very good at getting a shot off on the initial rush/entry, but seem to have a hard time following it up.

Now watch Sean hit me with a page of possession stats blowing my theory out of the water.
                                Go BU!

Comment

Working...
                                X