X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2016-17 Season Thread I: The Kids are Alright

Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
    Tonight's problem was that Shea,.
    dam stooge was a horrible linesman. how can one expect to be any better with the orange stripe
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
      Based on some of the ticky-tack calls, I fully expected a hit from behind call. I think even JFK was expecting a call because he stopped after the hit before grabbing the puck.

Tonight's problem was that Shea, in particular, was dreadful. He blew a play dead three times when BU had a clear scoring chance. Took him forever to sort out that 1st period scuffle. That non-call hfb on JFK....if refs insist on calling every little thing, they better get everything right or the flow of the game will be ruined. Not leaving themselves much margin for error.
      Shea has done two PC games already this year and both games were dreadful....but the Atlantic hockey officiated game PC played was fine.

Maybe Hockey East refs are taking the rules too literal as PC and St. Lawrence had 21 power plays
      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
        Based on some of the ticky-tack calls, I fully expected a hit from behind call. I think even JFK was expecting a call because he stopped after the hit before grabbing the puck.
        Agreed. His penalty earlier in the game when we already had two in the box was a dumb play, so it is a good thing he didn't get called again. In general, the refs are calling too much, but the team is also not doing a very good job on adjusting. Also, I thought the penalty called on QU for taking Bellows into the boards was a sell job by Bellows (albeit one of the better ones I have seen).

- Great weekend for Oettinger to say the least. He is among the national leaders in both GAA and Save %.
        - MacLeod is having a nice rebound year. Already has more points than last year, but more importantly, seems to be making good decisions in his own end. Hickey also is looking more confident than he did most of last year.
        - Overall, the team defense was excellent this weekend. Very few sustained pressure opportunities for the opposition.
        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

So, it's 9:25 a.m. Sunday morning and there isn't a single game recap link in the USCHO scoreboard page? The "recap" for Friday night's BU-Sacred Heart game written by Scott Weighart was really an Atlantic Hockey recap and more befitting for Sacred Heart's website. That's not a knock on Scott - he's likely doing as he is instructed. Not sure of the financial model of USCHO, but for the beginning of the season I'd certainly expect more. What's going on USCHO? Perhaps the decline in attendance we've seen at BU extends to the greater college hockey community and there isn't as much interest as in previous years... Also you'd figure after 10+ seasons, there'd be people at Agganis (or whoever is responsible) who can produce a well-run game day experience. There was probably a 10-15 second pause before Jim Prior's tribute played Friday night, the microphone for the anthem last night was terrible, people running the scoreboard don't know what they are doing. It's complete amateur hour over there.

As for the team, happy to get two W's this weekend. Greenway is a beast, nice to see JFK make plays last night, Oettinger looks good, I think McEvoy will be skating in the show in April, starting to see the hype around Keller. In general, seems like instead of just Eichel, there are a handful of guys that can generate offense. I know the 2014-15 team had many players who had lots of points, but Eichel was the straw that stirred the drink.

Comment

Isn't weighart a devoted BU guy? That's weird

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              Isn't weighart a devoted BU guy? That's weird
              Always assume he writes a recap when he goes to the game.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Very happy about the sweep as it was my birthday weekend! The penalties, though. Ugh. Made last night's game go forEVER. Guy next to me last night says "wow, their PK is really good!" I said "They've had a lot of practice." Hope they work on the power play the next couple of weeks. No games this upcoming weekend. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by kbz View Post
                  So, it's 9:25 a.m. Sunday morning and there isn't a single game recap link in the USCHO scoreboard page? The "recap" for Friday night's BU-Sacred Heart game written by Scott Weighart was really an Atlantic Hockey recap and more befitting for Sacred Heart's website. That's not a knock on Scott - he's likely doing as he is instructed. Not sure of the financial model of USCHO, but for the beginning of the season I'd certainly expect more. What's going on USCHO? Perhaps the decline in attendance we've seen at BU extends to the greater college hockey community and there isn't as much interest as in previous years... Also you'd figure after 10+ seasons, there'd be people at Agganis (or whoever is responsible) who can produce a well-run game day experience. There was probably a 10-15 second pause before Jim Prior's tribute played Friday night, the microphone for the anthem last night was terrible, people running the scoreboard don't know what they are doing. It's complete amateur hour over there.

As for the team, happy to get two W's this weekend. Greenway is a beast, nice to see JFK make plays last night, Oettinger looks good, I think McEvoy will be skating in the show in April, starting to see the hype around Keller. In general, seems like instead of just Eichel, there are a handful of guys that can generate offense. I know the 2014-15 team had many players who had lots of points, but Eichel was the straw that stirred the drink.
                  The PA system was very difficult to understand on many occasions. I know my hearing isn't the best, but there has to be a way to make it easier to hear/understand.
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

You couldn't hear that PA announcer???? Seriously, he was blowing my ear drums out.

Comment

Have to be disappointed in the student turnout against Quinnipiac- It would have been a sellout but the students failed to fill their sections
                      When you have full student section the noise and atmosphere improves--
                      Hope it picks up against Northeastern

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        You couldn't hear that PA announcer???? Seriously, he was blowing my ear drums out.
                        He didn't say "hear" he said "understand". Two different issues.

And KBZ is right, the in-game experience is a ****-show. Not to mention the Commadore 64 font they're using for their usually incorrect stats and graphics. Come on BU Athletics, get your **** together.
                        It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post

And KBZ is right, the in-game experience is a ****-show. Not to mention the Commadore 64 font they're using for their usually incorrect stats and graphics. Come on BU Athletics, get your **** together.

If you're looking to find a scapegoat, look within the arena itself. Agganis staff is responsible for in-game production.

Arena management and Athletics are two separate business units within BU; unfortunately after 12 years they still can't seem to be in sync and on the same page.

I don't know if there has been staff turnover or what, but the microscopic graphics and factual errors resulting from Jumbotron ops is almost as disjointed as the HE officiating...

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post

It may be on Agganis Arena, not the athletic department, that made the graphics change on the scoreboard. It's difficult to read, I'll give you that. Not to mention, it's visually displeasing. Not sure why that change was made. It certainly wasn't needed. There was also yet another bit of difficulty with the penalties. Is it a user issue?

The PA announcer is another issue entirely. I know some people like that sing song-y announcing. I'm not one of them. Sounds very minor league hockey. Really and truly makes you appreciate the old school professionalism of Jim Prior. I did love how they had his "The teams are ready so let's play hockey!" recording to start off the game. I briefly teared up when that happened. Then they screwed it up on Saturday night.

Comment

It's an embarrassment that at a school with one of the best film and TV departments in the country cannot produce a quality in-game audio and video experience. Ignoring the timing and font issues, the pre-lineup video is a complete disaster. Terrible song, terrible video clip selection, no theme to it - it looks like a subpar Sportscenter highlight reel. It's seriously depressing and a terrible representation of the quality BU students and staff can produce. For heaven's sake, call up COM and have them put together a team of students to produce a quality video. I would've jumped through hoops and got up to be at 6 AM practice when I was in FTV to do this. Heck, it took me 15 minutes to storyboard a video idea in my head last night while watching football. They know how to reach me, feel free to reach out and freely take my idea at no cost. (You won't.) For all of the press surrounding the team this year, that they put out this bad of an in-game production is shameful. You also wonder how many casual fans showing up to their first game decide not to come back because the non-game product is so woeful. Fix this, BU.

Signed,
                              Embarrassed COM Alum
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                                It's an embarrassment that at a school with one of the best film and TV departments in the country cannot produce a quality in-game audio and video experience. Ignoring the timing and font issues, the pre-lineup video is a complete disaster. Terrible song, terrible video clip selection, no theme to it - it looks like a subpar Sportscenter highlight reel. It's seriously depressing and a terrible representation of the quality BU students and staff can produce. For heaven's sake, call up COM and have them put together a team of students to produce a quality video. I would've jumped through hoops and got up to be at 6 AM practice when I was in FTV to do this. Heck, it took me 15 minutes to storyboard a video idea in my head last night while watching football. They know how to reach me, feel free to reach out and freely take my idea at no cost. (You won't.) For all of the press surrounding the team this year, that they put out this bad of an in-game production is shameful. You also wonder how many casual fans showing up to their first game decide not to come back because the non-game product is so woeful. Fix this, BU.

Signed,
                                Embarrassed COM Alum
                                +1
                                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X