Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: BU 2016-17 Season Thread I: The Kids are Alright

Cumcannon

Re: BU 2016-17 Season Thread I: The Kids are Alright

Easily the most overrated team in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by NCAAfan500 View Post
    Easily the most overrated team in the country.
    No,no,no. They have 23 1st round picks and are still going undefeated this season🙂

Also known as the Southern Dandaaay

That first Denver goal. Woof. How does he let that go in?
    Lowell Forever
    Forever Lowell

So I hesitate to "start in" this early in the season, but just as a "general philosophy" comment (similar to the Red Sox sabermetrics philosophy, like why do you take 16 out of 19 first pitch strikes against a guy who has given up most of his home runs on the first pitch): "If" it is their methodology that they have decided to go the "we'll load up on draft picks" approach, I just think that "balance" should be kept in mind. I mentioned this last year as well. It's great to have the "#1 recruiting class" et al and all the talent that goes with that. I just don't think they should lose sight of the significance of having role players. In other words, you need guys that AREN'T going to the NHL to provide CONTINUITY from one year to the next. People that will stay four years and be a "link" between the old and the new. Because all these draft picks are going to be gone after one, or at the most, two years. And if they're thinking "Well, we have enough talent to win almost every year if we keep getting the 'best' players," I think they will find that they will be sadly mistaken. Did we all forget that they won in 2009 because of the leadership of FOUR seniors (that team had NINE juniors and seniors)?

Quote Originally Posted by Patronick View Post
    That first Denver goal. Woof. How does he let that go in?
    From the highlights reel, it looks like he wasn't ready and may have expected Diffley to do more to slow down Borgstrom along the boards. For the same reason Somerby seemed hesitant as to what to do. Harder to tell on Bellows goal, but that was a pretty sharp angle, too.
    http://www.denverpioneers.com/colleg.../?media=539061

Looked like he had come out anticipating a pass into the slot and when he realized instead that Borgstrom was not going to pass he tried to get back to cover the near post and just didn't get there in time. Probably the same on Bellows' goal, so they kind of cancelled each other out.
    Last edited by chickod; 10-16-2016 at 10:57 AM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    So I hesitate to "start in" this early in the season, but just as a "general philosophy" comment (similar to the Red Sox sabermetrics philosophy, like why do you take 16 out of 19 first pitch strikes against a guy who has given up most of his home runs on the first pitch): "If" it is their methodology that they have decided to go the "we'll load up on draft picks" approach, I just think that "balance" should be kept in mind. I mentioned this last year as well. It's great to have the "#1 recruiting class" et al and all the talent that goes with that. I just don't think they should lose sight of the significance of having role players. In other words, you need guys that AREN'T going to the NHL to provide CONTINUITY from one year to the next. People that will stay four years and be a "link" between the old and the new. Because all these draft picks are going to be gone after one, or at the most, two years. And if they're thinking "Well, we have enough talent to win almost every year if we keep getting the 'best' players," I think they will find that they will be sadly mistaken. Did we all forget that they won in 2009 because of the leadership of FOUR seniors (that team had NINE juniors and seniors)?
    In 08-09 there were 6 undrafted juniors and seniors, this year there are 8 undrafted freshmen and sophomores (who will soon become undrafted juniors and seniors), I think BU is already doing what you're complaining that they're not doing.

The kids are good, but they seem to be young enough that a 'big long road trip to high altitude' got to them enough to pull them off their game. The biggest hurt this will be is to the OOC effect it has in the pairwise. I think these guys will come together in the season well enough to handle long trips soon enough.

You guys didn't bring in 9 Eichel's, you brought in 9 frosh. Give them a few years to develop.
    Oh wait. They'll be gone after one. Sucks to BU.
    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Quote Originally Posted by BUPhD View Post
    The kids are good, but they seem to be young enough that a 'big long road trip to high altitude' got to them enough to pull them off their game. The biggest hurt this will be is to the OOC effect it has in the pairwise. I think these guys will come together in the season well enough to handle long trips soon enough.
    BU will be fine - they caught Denver at a bad time. Coming off a horrendous first weekend Denver was desperate for a win. Like BU, most of DU's best talent is young - but early in the season the number of solid, steady and experienced upperclassmen (especially on defense) in the DU line up was the difference.

It's easy to see the talent at BU and if they gel they're clearly still a favorite this season. They looked notably better than BC did last weekend in beating DU...

Not good for the pairwise.
    Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    BU will be fine - they caught Denver at a bad time. Coming off a horrendous first weekend Denver was desperate for a win. Like BU, most of DU's best talent is young - but early in the season the number of solid, steady and experienced upperclassmen (especially on defense) in the DU line up was the difference.

It's easy to see the talent at BU and if they gel they're clearly still a favorite this season. They looked notably better than BC did last weekend in beating DU...
    I wonder from DU weekend....do they want to play for Quinn?.....can he connect with players...generational players like Eichel cover up lots of Coaching shortfalls...Might not be the right guy...if this team loses to many...will draft picks start to leave after break cause agents advise them to bail?

Quote Originally Posted by Hank81 View Post
    I wonder from DU weekend....do they want to play for Quinn?
    Yes.

..if this team loses to many...will draft picks start to leave after break cause agents advise them to bail?
    No.

I wonder from DU weekend....do they want to play for Quinn?.....can he connect with players...generational players like Eichel cover up lots of Coaching shortfalls...Might not be the right guy...if this team loses to many...will draft picks start to leave after break cause agents advise them to bail?
    they won't leave, if anything they will play harder so NHL teams don't bail on them

This is ludicrous. Aside from an ENG, BU loses two 1-goal games away to a team that was in the Frozen Four last year. Tied for youngest team in the country where a good deal of talent is with the freshmen that have only played several games together. A team that could have easily thrown in the white towel after being down 4-0, but scored the next three goals to make it a game. Yeah, they really sound like they are giving up on the coach.

Super Serial

trolling troll is trolling
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

The problem is Hockey East has been terrible this year out of conference.

As ignorant a post as I have read on here in quite awhile. And that is saying something.

Opposite Girl

there's a good buck in that racket.

Quote Originally Posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    The problem is Hockey East has been terrible this year out of conference.
    yah, stop losing to holy cross why don't you?!!?
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Thread Information