Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    But saying "dismissed" kind of begs the question on a kid who hasn't even been hired yet. He's on probation. Your comments on wins and losses is right in one sense. Souza is playing with others' recruits. But it is fair to see whether he has coached them up. Second, while playing with others' recruits, he has had flexibility to supplement the gaps this year. He did not do so. Third, the future. I don't know if Marty is even in a position to evaluate recruiting. His only inside people are Umile who would know nothing, and Stewart and Souza. I hope Marty uses time during conferences to talk to outsiders and get their views on whether recruiting portends an upswing. It might be different than his current limited feedback.
    "Has he coached them up?' I've heard that phrase forever. To me it means that the kid sucks but, somehow, a different person behind the bench can somehow make him a better player. I probably should sit down for a few minutes of reflection, maybe consult with others who have followed the game as long as I have, and see if I can come up with some player who overcame his inability to play because there was a different coach. When I think of it, I can cite one example at UNH. When Brian LaRochelle came to UNH, primarily as a baseball recruit, somehow Dave Lassonde made him into a serviceable goalie in 1997 before Matile took over. Honestly, that is the only instance I can think of.

The second comment is about Souza's ability to recruit. This is his second year at UNH. My guess is that the roster of incoming freshmen was pretty much set before Souza even got to Durham. Do you know different? What freshman could have been passed over, deferred as it were, and, more importantly, what player could have taken this unfortunate player's place? You don't say but my guess is that you can throw out some names I have never heard of and, of course, we will have to genuflect. Interestingly, I haven't heard any names previously.

As for Marty's grasp of hockey recruiting, let's just say Marty is not a hockey guy. Back when I talked to him frequently for the newsletter it was clear to me he was much more concerned about season tickets, student behavior, fans traveling to opposing rinks, that sort of thing rather than the nuts and bolts of the game. From what I got back then, he was out of his depth if and when he ever talked about that sort of stuff. But, assuming Marty recognizes he is in a results oriented business, he knows just by walking around the arena on game nights that the public has opted out of UNH Hockey and that a few bells and whistles like the jumbotron are not going to put fannies in the seats. But I'll ask you. How effective do you think he would be going head-to-head with Umile about the quality of the recruits? Not much I would guess. Seriously, he might be wise to hire you as a consultant before he has that talk with Umile and Souza.

To me it is a given that Souza will be the coach. He expects it and, I would guess more importantly, his attorney expects it as well. Plus, Marty has never shown any inclination to get rid of people just because they don't win. Chuck may be right when he notes that Marty has to be concerned about the attendance, but Marty has to know that there are no easy ways to fix that problem. Hiring Josh Ciocco or Eric Boguneicki instead of Mike Souza is not going to change that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      I think 'Watcher's post this morning touches on something that's been overlooked to a degree. Yeah, we all want to see what Souza can do with his recruiting work ... but we also need to look at whether he's shown an ability to "coach up" the players he's been left to work with until his own guys begin to arrive on campus. Say what you will about Borek, but we do have a pretty solid baseline from his last several seasons of bringing in mid-level talent and getting them to play at a .500 level in D-1, and slightly above/below that in Hockey East.

In the one-plus seasons since Borek left and Souza replaced him, players mostly/entirely recruited during Borek's tenure have performed at a much lower level (last season), and I'm afraid they may be on the same track for this season - despite the cupcake-laden NC schedule. And given the opportunity to fill some unexpected openings with his own players, Souza has chosen not (or been unable?) to do so.

So actually ... I would say Souza already gets the chance to prove himself. Every day. Not too many assistants get a 3 year head start on a head coaching job, and basically get to "shop for the groceries" themselves. I know if I hired someone under those circumstances, and watched those years go by with the anointed successor doing precious little to warrant his early selection, I wouldn't be giving him a whole lot of extra rope in his "new" position. Because by the time 2018/2019 rolls around, Souza's not going to be "new" anymore, and the UNH roster should be stocked with HIS players. So the usual excuses - which may apply to a dwindling degree now - should be irrelevant in two years.

Just for the record ... I want Coach Umile to get to his 600 (and then some), and enjoy some success in big games before he retires, and I'm rooting for Coach Souza to make BS35+4 look like a frickin' genius afterwards. 'Cuz as a UNH fan, I want the program to be successful again, sooner rather than later. I am not in this for masochism. Their win is our win. But we're going to be at the midpoint of The Great 3 Year Plan in a month, and up to now, I don't know how anyone can term what's happened so far as having been in any way successful. And if things don't turn around in the next 30 or so days ...
      I had written a more descript post but decided to just say that yeah, it is disappointing when we didn't get all of the CC's on the schedule as W's. And I know you want to see the team succeed agree we all benefit! Here are a few positives so far:

*The Frosh Line....great chemistry/ Grasso leads in PP goals, has had a pt. in every game/ BvR and Blackburn making great plays/scoring goals
      *D has a great newcomer in Anthony Wyse, Cleland giving a ton of quality mins
      *Top line of TyK, McNick and Salvaggio coming together. McNick coming off a multipoint weekend and there's nothing like a TyK shorthand goal. Nazarian back in the line up maybe this weekend?
      *GK Tirone kept the 'Cats in the game as we battled back to tie 'Mack Saturday
      Honorable Mention: ever noticed how fast Jamie Hill is?

(And on another note the parking has been GREAT in the Alumni Center... ) Let's take care of Umassy tomorrow night...AND win the annual "Pre Thanksgiving Clunker"
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

No wise azz intended here, but why is it that UNH did not do a national search for a replacement? Is it because Umile yields so much power that the AD had no other choice? The more I think about this succession plan, the less it seems to make sense to me. Why put all your eggs in the basket of one, though successful, coach's opinion?
        sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          I had written a more descript post but decided to just say that yeah, it is disappointing when we didn't get all of the CC's on the schedule as W's. And I know you want to see the team succeed agree we all benefit! Here are a few positives so far:

*The Frosh Line....great chemistry/ Grasso leads in PP goals, has had a pt. in every game/ BvR and Blackburn making great plays/scoring goals
          *D has a great newcomer in Anthony Wyse, Cleland giving a ton of quality mins
          *Top line of TyK, McNick and Salvaggio coming together. McNick coming off a multipoint weekend and there's nothing like a TyK shorthand goal. Nazarian back in the line up maybe this weekend?
          *GK Tirone kept the 'Cats in the game as we battled back to tie 'Mack Saturday
          Honorable Mention: ever noticed how fast Jamie Hill is?

(And on another note the parking has been GREAT in the Alumni Center... ) Let's take care of Umassy tomorrow night...AND win the annual "Pre Thanksgiving Clunker"
          Some early season stats for our next three games:

PWR, W-L-T, SOS
          UNH: 39, 4-5-2, 40
          UMass: 37, 3-5-1, 16
          RPI: 57, 2-8-1, 48
          Cornell: 38, 2-2-1, 59

Wow, who woulda thunk that SOS tally?

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
            No wise azz intended here, but why is it that UNH did not do a national search for a replacement? Is it because Umile yields so much power that the AD had no other choice? The more I think about this succession plan, the less it seems to make sense to me. Why put all your eggs in the basket of one, though successful, coach's opinion?
            From your keyboard to God's ears.

Umile held all the cards back in 2000 when he was being woo'ed by UMass and AD Scarano essentially offered him a "coach-for-life" contract to keep him in Durham. Umile's the tail wagging the Scarano dog, succession plan and all.
            UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post

Umile held all the cards back in 2000 when he was being woo'ed by UMass and AD Scarano essentially offered him a "coach-for-life" contract to keep him in Durham. Umile's the tail wagging the Scarano dog, succession plan and all.
              Maine made the mistake of no natl search when Walshy passed, see where it got them.
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                "Has he coached them up?' I've heard that phrase forever. To me it means that the kid sucks but, somehow, a different person behind the bench can somehow make him a better player. I probably should sit down for a few minutes of reflection, maybe consult with others who have followed the game as long as I have, and see if I can come up with some player who overcame his inability to play because there was a different coach. When I think of it, I can cite one example at UNH. When Brian LaRochelle came to UNH, primarily as a baseball recruit, somehow Dave Lassonde made him into a serviceable goalie in 1997 before Matile took over. Honestly, that is the only instance I can think of.
                I'm a bit surprised to see you take this position, Greg. I think it's pretty obvious a good coach can improve a player's game by teaching them things like positioning and getting them to work collectively in a scheme. Even when you get a great talent like Eichel, you can help him be better by understanding your team's systems and dynamics - and we don't have any Eichels. These kids are supposed to be D1 talents, and yet both first goals against last weekend looked like mite defense - three guys chasing the puck and nobody paying attention to the weak side. We didn't see that sort of mistake (much) during Torterella's brief stint, and you won't see that sort of thing from a Bazin team, despite their unimpressive recruiting. Team defense has noticeably declined since Torts departure, and not exclusively due to the talent drop off. At this point I don't care much which coach leaves if they replace him with a good defensive mind.
                Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Maine made the mistake of no natl search when Walshy passed, see where it got them.
                  It's funny ... Coach Whitehead's first 6 seasons at UMaine pretty much match Coach Umile's 6 season UNH apex.

And his final 6 UMaine seasons (and the prior 5 seasons at UML) look an awful lot like present day UNH.

Maybe Coach Souza can beg Grant Standbrook to be his assistant? That's all I've got ...
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

Judy Ray IIRC. I know you know this Scott, but I guess I've got everyone conditioned with the BS35+4 thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      Judy Ray IIRC. I know you know this Scott, but I guess I've got everyone conditioned with the BS35+4 thing.
                      Scarano was hired in the summer of 2000.

I thought that this was one his "first acts of
                      glory", but maybe it was Judy. At the very least, Scarano rubber-
                      stamped the deal. 😜
                      UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                        Scarano was hired in the summer of 2000.

I thought that this was one his "first acts of
                        glory", but maybe it was Judy. At the very least, Scarano rubber-
                        stamped the deal. ��
                        http://www.uscho.com/2000/03/29/umil...l-stay-at-unh/

DURHAM, N.H. — University of New Hampshire athletic director Judy Ray announced Wednesday that coach Dick Umile will remain at UNH, and that the university is working out arrangements that will allow Umile to finish his coaching career with the Wildcats. The announcement came one day after he interviewed for the vacant coaching position at UMass-Amherst.

“I am very excited that UNH has made the commitment to me personally and to the hockey program,” Umile said. “I have every intention of completing my coaching career here at UNH.”

Fair is fair. We can't blame BS35+4 for the lifetime contract. (pointing at Judy Ray) It's all your fault!!

I'd forgotten the "Human Lightning Rod" had somehow put himself in contention for the job, too.

Comment

Looks like no Blackburn and no Naz tonight!
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Blackburn not on the inactive list but I didn't see him in warm-ups!
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Nice to take a early lead GRASSO adds to his point streak!
                              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Salvaggio. McNicholas and Kelleher running riot so far tonight ... UNH 5 UMass 2, after 2 periods.

Comment

Working...
                                X