Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arizona State Sun Devils 2016-17 -- Year Two!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Arizona State Sun Devils 2016-17 -- Year Two!

This was one of the more oddly officiated games I have ever witnessed. We have seen this in other games across the country so far. Am I blaming the loss on the officials, absolutely not. Does ND have more talent, well of course. But, Ronnieb, this is our second year in the NCAA. My goodness, give it a chance to grow.

Time to turn the page and get ready for tomorrow.

Go Devils!

Comment

Ronnie is a dink, not sure why he is obsessed with ASU.

Comment

Aside from the absurd amount of minor penalties called in today's game the dirty hit on Wegwerth and the scrum that follow was absolutely out of place. McGovern got a match DQ and rightfully so, thankfully we won't be seeing him tomorrow.
        Clarkson '15, Notre Dame '16

Comment

I honestly believe ASU belongs in the NCHC, BUT there has to be an appropriate rink in progress, not just in the talking stage. Scheduling an uneven number of teams can be difficult, but it can be done,

PAC 12 conference would seem to be many years away, if ever.
          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by m1_ping View Post
            Aside from the absurd amount of minor penalties called in today's game the dirty hit on Wegwerth and the scrum that follow was absolutely out of place. McGovern got a match DQ and rightfully so, thankfully we won't be seeing him tomorrow.
            Absolutely. No defending that final minute. McGovern took a bad shot at Wegworth and followed it up by going after another guy. I'm sure coach Powers will have something to say to him and it looked like he came over and said some words to the ND coach after. My guess saying it was out of line.

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
              I honestly believe ASU belongs in the NCHC, BUT there has to be an appropriate rink in progress, not just in the talking stage. Scheduling an uneven number of teams can be difficult, but it can be done,

PAC 12 conference would seem to be many years away, if ever.
              I'm sure ASU and the NCHC will revisit there conversation. But some form of a rink will need to happen first. I believe we will hear something soon. Glass half full for me!

I just don't ever see a P12 conference happening. Maybe get a few more to join, but not enough for their own league.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                Ronnie is a dink, not sure why he is obsessed with ASU.
                He certainly doesn't like us. Oh well, there are a few that seem to want to take there shots. In do time we will earn our place I'm sure. One step at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bar Down View Post
                  It's a long shot but what if NAU returns back to D1?
                  Would love to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by Revs89 View Post
                    He certainly doesn't like us. Oh well, there are a few that seem to want to take there shots. In do time we will earn our place I'm sure. One step at a time.
                    Don't worry guys, I reduced his reputation by a tad. You guys will improve, fair weather fans are the worst.
                    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUHockey View Post
                      My concern is the officiating in the game this evening. In all honesty, I've never witnessed anything like this in NCAA history. 35 penalties to one team in one game is a no laughing joke!! It appears to me that the NCAA does not want ASU in their elite league. Over 90 minutes in penalties to ASU??
                      To be fair, the refs have tightened up quite a bit across the country. College Hockey Stats says 31 penalties, 6 of which were misconduct (each 10 minutes) so they're a line for protocol reasons, but of a duplicated action, and those penalties look to be because of a bru-ha-ha at the end anyway, as ND also had quite a few simultaneously. Washing those out of consideration for the time being because that's going to happen, I'd say the majority on both sides were stick fouls, which evidently is a point of emphasis because we're seeing a lot of those everywhere. This isn't just you; it only means the teams need to adjust, take less liberties with the stick, and continue to play hard. I'm sure the penalties will calm down after a few weeks once the players know what is expected of them.

Comment

The refs were not the problem. Furthermore, after watching last night, ASU's schedule is way too ambitious. The only positive was Joey Daccord. He'll keep them is some games.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                          Don't worry guys, I reduced his reputation by a tad. You guys will improve, fair weather fans are the worst.
                          Fair weather fan? Hardly. I have no dog in this fight. My point is Terry Pegula had a vested interest, a plan, a vision and wide spread support. ASU had a fly by the seat of the pants rich guy with not even a plan. So far this is bad for D1 hockey. Ok, now you can continue to ridicule 🙂

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            To be fair, the refs have tightened up quite a bit across the country. College Hockey Stats says 31 penalties, 6 of which were misconduct (each 10 minutes) so they're a line for protocol reasons, but of a duplicated action, and those penalties look to be because of a bru-ha-ha at the end anyway, as ND also had quite a few simultaneously. Washing those out of consideration for the time being because that's going to happen, I'd say the majority on both sides were stick fouls, which evidently is a point of emphasis because we're seeing a lot of those everywhere. This isn't just you; it only means the teams need to adjust, take less liberties with the stick, and continue to play hard. I'm sure the penalties will calm down after a few weeks once the players know what is expected of them.
                            Solid points. Notre Dame's speed advantage probably played into some of that stick work. There were flashes when we were skating with them. It was a 3-2 ND advantage in goals the few minutes of 5-on-5 time. Today will be interesting to see how we bounce back.

Comment

Great effort tonight by the Sun Devils. Game with Notre Dame was tied at 2 after two periods. ND scored early in the third period and added an empty netter to put it away. Last night ND outshot ASU 51-19, tonight only 37-25. Notre Dame scored a goal in the first two minutes of each period tonight. Levin looked great in goal tonight. A lot to be encouraged about in this one for the Devils. Air Force next week at Gila River Arena for our first two home games. Look forward to seeing those. Go Devils!
                              Last edited by Revs89; 10-08-2016, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Week two and another ranked opponent in Air Force will make their way to Phoenix. The games this weekend will be played at Gila River Arena in Glendale, home of the Arizona Coyotes.

Robbie Baillargeon will see his first action this weekend as a Sun Devil. He missed last weekend at Notre Dame due to transfer paperwork delays. Bigger news that came out of the weekly presser with Coach Powers was regarding last years leading scorer, Jordan Masters. Masters missed the Notre Dame weekend and Powers confirmed he will also not play this weekend. The overall comments regarding Masters don't give you a good feeling about him returning anytime soon, if at all.

It should be interesting if the team gets much of a crowd at Gila. I'm anticipating it being relatively low and the school did not do them any favors by hosting the men's basketball kickoff event across town at the same time. Curious timing to say the least. The teams will be off Saturday as the Coyotes have the rink to open their season. But the game on Sunday will be carried by the Pac-12 Network. It is a great venue, but 2,000 people in that building and it is a very quiet environment. Growing pains. Hoping for an on campus midsize arena for these guys.

Greg Powers press conference can be heard here.

Comment

Working...
                                X