Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arizona State Sun Devils 2016-17 -- Year Two!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Arizona State Sun Devils 2016-17 -- Year Two!

Final weekend on tap here for the Arizona State hockey program. The boys are heading up to Michigan for two games with USA U18s. A little news since their last games a few weeks ago. Junior Wade Murphy signed with the Manchester Monarchs of the ECHL. Murphy put together a solid season with 9 goals and 11 assists in 31 NCAA contests.

Below is a nice article on Robbie Baillargeon. Robbie was a grad transfer from BU, leading them in scoring his freshmen season and was on the ice for BU two years ago for one of the final shifts as they attempted to find the game tying goal in the NC vs. Providence. Anyway, it is nice to hear his words on the program. This was just one of many interviews he did after senior night speaking highly of the program. His leadership along with Wade, will be missed next season.

http://www.statepress.com/article/20...-to-asu-hockey

Lastly, I attached a link from AD Ray Anderson. A few weeks back ASU hosted a media session with various sports programs and the main theme, even with football being in the room, was the commitment to D-I hockey and getting an Arena built. Comforting words for us Sun Devil Hockey fans.

http://www.abc15.com/sports/sports-b...-falls-through

Good luck to everyone's teams as you close out the season. I look forward to watching all of the conference tourney action!

Comment

Arizona State has picked up another big recruit in Filips Buncis from the Johnstown Tomahawks. Filips is a 6-3 forward who also played for Latvia in this past World Juniors. His teammate from that Juniors squad, Gvido Jansons has already committed to ASU. We took big steps forward on the ice this year and looks like a special class is coming in. Article below.

http://www.johnstowntomahawks.com/fi...-arizona-state

Comment

Devils picked up another recruit in Dom Garcia. It looks like he was initially an Air Force commit. Looking forward to seeing this entire class when it is officially announced on April 12.

http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=20597

Also - yes sort of a new handle for me with the Revs89.2. Dang yahoo email issues with the security breaches and was locked out of my account. So I had to start from scratch.

Comment

New username (slight change) due to an email glitch. But same ole ASU fan.

ASU grabbed another recruit in Dom Garcia. He originally had committed to Air Force. Looking forward to the signing day on April 12 to officially see the entire new class.

http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=20597

Comment

Originally posted by Revs89 View Post
            Arizona State has picked up another big recruit in Filips Buncis from the Johnstown Tomahawks. Filips is a 6-3 forward who also played for Latvia in this past World Juniors. His teammate from that Juniors squad, Gvido Jansons has already committed to ASU. We took big steps forward on the ice this year and looks like a special class is coming in. Article below.

http://www.johnstowntomahawks.com/fi...-arizona-state
            Same person, new user name for me (thanks yahoo email).

ASU picked up another recruit in Dom Garcia. Looking forward to see the new class announced on April 12.

http://www.astonrebels.com/garcia-ma...ate-university

Go Devils!

Comment

New username with a .2 added, same person (thx yahoo email!).

Arizona State added Dom Garcia last week. He was originally an Air Force commit. Looking forward to seeing what the entire lass looks like on April 12. It seems to be a real good one coming to the desert.

Hearing rumblings that a conference annoucement is on the way and most seem to think the arena solution will be coming during the summer. Looking forward to both of those.

But until then I'm excited to watch the NCAAs. I find myself cheering for those teams we faced along the way and cheering for the great fans I have met from Michigan Tech Air Force and Denver. It will be fun watching Tech and Denver, I can't go wrong with the winner there. But my hat is off to Michigan Tech on that thrilling WCHA win. I can't wait for ASU to have that chance.

Good luck to the 16 left standing!

Comment

Would be smart if Arizona State offered some of their games on TV for the local fans to identify with. Not talking the games broadcast on PAC12 because most of the satellite providers in Arizona don't offer it.. I few games on Arizona Sports or one of the local channels would be smart. At work i know about 10 hockey fans and not a single one knew Arizona State had a division 1 team till i told them

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Ice View Post
                  Would be smart if Arizona State offered some of their games on TV for the local fans to identify with. Not talking the games broadcast on PAC12 because most of the satellite providers in Arizona don't offer it.. I few games on Arizona Sports or one of the local channels would be smart. At work i know about 10 hockey fans and not a single one knew Arizona State had a division 1 team till i told them
                  Who's going to produce the broadcast? Who will be your on-air talent? If you're going to do anything past a student broadcast, you're into serious money.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    Who's going to produce the broadcast? Who will be your on-air talent? If you're going to do anything past a student broadcast, you're into serious money.

GFM
                    I agree, GFM. That would take a financial commitment that I don't think is going to happen soon. The student broadcast is decent to good, depending on the student, and it is offered for free (I wonder if a conference will change that?). Then there is radio that people have discussed. My guess is these aren't addressed until the new building comes on line, which should be for the 19-20 season.

As for the P12, they have said they would like to do more and did up that number to three this past season and two additional on the stream which was on twitter.

And for the folks that don't know of us having a team, just know it will take time. As a club sport, it wasn't talked about at all. So this is starting something from the ground floor. But it will come along quickly.

Comment

IceTimeHockeySW had an extensive interview with HC Greg Powers recently where he talks about next years schedule, impending conference announcement and arena plans. I'm hearing rumors of some kind of conference announcement coming in April, with building plans coming in the summer. There were plans already on the table to do something on campus that may have been scuttled when there was the possible Coyotes partnership. With that now being dead, I wonder if the on campus arena is back in play. My guess is yes. But there will be many discussions at the Frozen Four and following week at the meetings. The team banquet it scheduled for April 15, so we will see what news comes from that.

Here is the site for the Powers interview. It is a good one.

http://www.icetimehockeysw.com

Comment

Excited to see this class come together for ASU. They added four more to the class today after signing five in November. Today ASU officially inked Austin Lemieux, son of NHL legend, Mario. Also added our second member of the Latvia World Juniors in Filips Buncis, a big 6'3 center. Dom Garcia, a former Air Force, signed and will make an immediate impact. Lastly, ASU received Gage Hough, a transfer from UML. His senior leadership will be huge after losing Wade Murphy Robbie Baillargeon.

The theme is the same as what we were looking at last year. Big boys that play a heavy game. Looks clear that is the identity coach is forming.

Entire article is below. Here is little clip "According to NeutralZone.net -- a hockey scouting and news site which identifies, ranks and profiles NCAA prospects from across North America -- the Sun Devils 2017-18 recruiting class ranks 12th in the country with an average star rating of 3.86."

Banquet on Saturday, so I will report any news from there.

http://www.thesundevils.com/news/201...y-central.aspx

Go Devils!
                        Last edited by Revs89.2; 04-12-2017, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Y'all ready to fly to Fairbanks and Huntsville?

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

GFM
                            Why no mention of Anchorage, obvious troll.

(:
                            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

GFM
                              As it became more apparent that if we were going to end up in a conference that it would be WCHA, I started to pay closer attention to the conference. I think it will be good for ASU and hope the WCHA schools enjoy having us in. Of course it still needs to be completed, but I for one hope that it happens.

We actually played Fairbanks and Anchorage in Anchorage in our hybrid year and are making the trip to Huntsville this year! Our Georgia Alumni base is planning on making the trip to Huntsville. I try to make a trip or two each year, but will most likely go to Colorado Springs for one of the series we have up there and of course Vegas. But I did look at Huntsville. It's great to get to see other places around college hockey.

Comment

It seems like half of Alaska either relocates to, retires to, or annually vacations in Arizona. Even a regular season conference match up would be more than enough excuse to get out of dodge for those that can afford it or have air miles. If ASU joins the WCHA, it will be interesting to see how many UAA or UAF fans show up. We have fans that wear shorts to home games at -40F, I can’t imagine what will happen down there.

Comment

Working...
                                X